Mgb 18v dowel pins

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gjbacci Geoffrey Bacci
Springstead, WI, USA   USA
Putting my engine back together and its been 6 months since i took it apart. I think the machine shop lost some of the dowel pegs in the crank and block. 2 questions.

There are dowel pegs in the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts on. It is moss part 325-045. Moss says there is 1. I believe there are 2. Can you confirm.

I also believe there are 2 dowel pins in the block where the back plate hangs on. I cannot find a moss part. Can you confirm there are 2 of those pins and provide any advice on part source.

Thanks in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Cast cranks have one dowel, forged have two. Block dowels can be scrounged from a scrap block?

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
When I was installing my freshly rebuilt engine, back in '93, I forgot to install the backing plate dowel pins. After starting the engine and not being able to stop the trans output shaft from spinning, with the shift lever in neutral, I discovered my mistake. Rather than pull the engine out, I loosened the engine to trans bolts a half turn and raised the trans with a jack a bit at a time until I could go through the gears with the input shaft dragging. I then tightened the engine to trans bolts and took the car out for a test drive. The clutch worked perfectly without the dowels installed. The car is still in service and the clutch continues to function properly. RAY

trmgb Avatar
trmgb todd martinez
littleton, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 3737426 by RAY 67 TOURER When I was installing my freshly rebuilt engine, back in '93, I forgot to install the backing plate dowel pins. After starting the engine and not being able to stop the trans output shaft from spinning, with the shift lever in neutral, I discovered my mistake. Rather than pull the engine out, I loosened the engine to trans bolts a half turn and raised the trans with a jack a bit at a time until I could go through the gears with the input shaft dragging. I then tightened the engine to trans bolts and took the car out for a test drive. The clutch worked perfectly without the dowels installed. The car is still in service and the clutch continues to function properly. RAY

Great job, good education, but what a pain in the ass

72 engine, hif carbs, black od, rest of car stock

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Instead of dowel pins you could use 3/8" split pins.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster