AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Are the wheel arches moulded or just a strategically shaped/cut piece of flat?

If my GT came with them when I bought it they disintegrated when I removed them. Because I've flat decked the rear from the top of the heel board I'm thinking of just buying a roadster carpet set and DIY from there back.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Ac roadster Boot Set would do the job, and quite cheap. Haven't installed mine yet if you want to make patterns.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, MA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
my wheel hump were semi molded. took quite a bit of contact cement to hold it down

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
The GT wheel well covers are one piece whilst the roadster are two piece given the boot/cockpit dividing panel. The cheaper sets require forming/cutting/pleating whilst more expensive ones are pre-formed.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Barrie.

You can use flat carpet, but it will need to have some darts cut and be either sewn or glued down carefully. Even the pre-formed pieces look better with a bit of judicious fitting.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Thanks guys I reckon I'll chance it with some flat (unless the likely supplier of my carpet kit will change out the roadster arch pieces for a pair of GTs - I don't know if theirs are moulded or flat but I needed to know for ordering extra carpet purposes).

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Barrie,

Some suppliers offer transmission tunnel and wheel arches pre-molded, some don't... I am in the process of purchasing the tufted wool kit from Mirror Trim in the UK. They offer their kits either way.

TJS Avatar
TJS T J Smith
Soulbury, Bucks, UK   GBR
I still have all the original carpets and trim, the rear wheel arch covering is flat, glued on and is split vertically, you can just see the seam in the photo.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster