AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Idasix Avatar
Idasix Gold Member David Smailes
Mount Vernon, WA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Red Rider"
I have tried all sorts of floor mats for my MG. Most are of the generic type and don’t stay in place. They move around and get bunched up. I am looking for a great set that stays where it’s put and protects my carpet. Any recommendations?

Dave

The brave don't live forever...
The cautious don't live at all.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
I have the traditional hard black rubber mats with MG embossed on it and ribs. It's pretty heavy and doesn't move around. They aren't near as pretty as carpet mats but are very functional. I think they are replica of the old Amco mats from the 60's. I had them on my 63. They covered well enough you couldn't see there wasn't any carpet under them. A little black paint on my threadbare carpet tunnel and door cards and it looked pretty good if you didn't examine it too close. No budget for carpet but I scraped up $40 for a wooden steering wheel. My young wife didn't talk to me for two weeks.
I used to like the cocoa mats but dirt would go through them and they looked tacky pretty soon. The hard rubber mats are good for at least ten years. I'm on my second set since 1990 on my 67.

Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
I am also running the Amco like rubber mats in my 67 GT. Really easy to clean. I do have carpet under mine.

Bruce E. Cunha

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
davcar Avatar
davcar David Carter
HERVEY BAY, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1969 MG MGB "Peggy-Sue"
1998 MG MGF "Lucy"
Hi David

I have fitted the carpet clips as below to my mats, you should be able to find something similar over there, suggest you try auto parts stores, let google be your friend.

http://championpartsonline.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=24981

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Champion-Carpet-Clips-3pk-Grey/341772

The older I get, the more idiots I meet...!!!

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
Carpeting in a B?

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Carpeting is for when you have nothing better to spend your hard earned money on. I installed a set of carpeting, in my '67 B, many years ago. I have the same heavy duty Amco style rubber mats protecting my carpet. God forbid that it should get dirty! When I bought my B, in '72, it came with a set of the Amco mats. Worth their weight in gold, or darn near it. RAY

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I also have the heavy rubber mats in both MGBs. One set has MG on them, the other set is blank. The quality seems about the same. They were in the cars when I got them 38 and 45 years ago!

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

DanN1DLH Avatar
DanN1DLH Dan DiMartino
McDonough, GA, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
1980 MG MGB
Whenever I pick up a "new" B, if those Amco's aren't already there, I buy a set. They fit like a glove and don't move. Really don't need rugs with these.

D

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
About 15 years ago I purchased a set of the AMCO style rubber, MG logo, mats from The Roadster Factory. They are great and still look almost new.

reedrickborn Avatar
reedrickborn Reed Rickborn
Greedwood SC, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
David,

I had the Amco style mats in my B for more years that I can count until 3 years ago. I saw a video on Jay Leno's YouTube channel on a company called Cocomats.com . They are based out of Ft. Mill SC. They manufacture coco mats, sisal, wool etc. They are period correct and the color I purchased for my Autumn leaf interior look great. They are heavy duty rubber backed and don't roll up. The best thing is they don't show every piece of trash like the black rubber Amco mats do. They aren't cheap I think I paid around $175 for them.

Attachments:
20150607_143213 (1).jpg    32.2 KB
20150607_143213 (1).jpg

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Back in the '70s, cocoa mats were very common in Bs. I think that they were even cheaper than Amco mats which only cost about $25. I think the cocoa mats had a pretty short lifespan and began looking pretty ratty pretty fast on typical daily drivers. Back then my '72GT was my only vehicle. Pretty typical.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Plus, they can hold a ton of dirt and you won't even notice it. Until your fuel mileage starts to suffer! RAY
!

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3738042 by barry s Back in the '70s, cocoa mats were very common in Bs. I think that they were even cheaper than Amco mats which only cost about $25. I think the cocoa mats had a pretty short lifespan and began looking pretty ratty pretty fast on typical daily drivers. Back then my '72GT was my only vehicle. Pretty typical.

I buddy and I each bought a set for our MGBs back in the mid 70s. They looked nice, but only lasted about a year.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

daharleydude Avatar
daharleydude Silver Member John K
Ashevillle, NC, USA   USA
There are a few comments here about coco mats. One comment was that a friend bought a set but they lasted about a year. Like anything, you can buy cheap
crap or you can get quality stuff. I have bought a set of coco mats from coconuts.co out of South Carolina. (years ago) I did some research before I got my first set and talked to people who bought a set from them and they said that the mats were of great quality. So I bought a set for one of my vintage Karmann Ghia's and when I received them, i could not believe the difference in quality between these and a set of a stock, run of the mill type you get on e bay or any other place that sells them. I have been buying them since and they still look like brand new after years of use. (not every day use,but maybe three or four times a week) Sure they are a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. You can go to their web site and they explain the difference in materials and the manufacturing process.
FYI: cocomats.com make coco mats for museums in Europe that have Mercedes, Porche, VW, Audi, Lancia, and other European manufacturers. For me, that is the best advertisement you can have. I don't think that a Porche or a Mercedes museum would put in any cheap set of mats in one of their cars.

saanich2006 Avatar
saanich2006 Robert Browning
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
I have the carpet mats with the MG logo.

However, like you said, they tend to move around.

So I went the hardware store and I bought some of the 3" x 4" Velcro pads with the sticky back.

I put three under each mat and they hold the mats in place. The Velcro peels right off the carpet with no damage when you want to replace it or remove it.

Works great. Have been doing this for about ten years. I like the carpet mats with MG logo on them.

"He had delusions of adequacy."

Law of Mechanical Repair - After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster