AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGBear Avatar
MGBear Gold Member Brett Woods
East Stroudsburg, PA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
But you pay dearly for the ARP pieces. I've calculated the cost of ARP studs Vs. buying a wedding ring for somebody. You get about the same satisfaction out of both. Car doesn't collect alimony when you are done with it though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BumbleB74 Avatar
BumbleB74 William Milholen
Tidewater, Tidewater VA, USA   USA
A little JB Weld and you'll be good! Just kidding....

At least you didn't dump coolant in there....

1974-1/2 Roadster, "Bumble Bee", Corvette Yellow - in shambles, wire wheels
1976 Roadster, "Virus", Sandglow - "driver" condition (stock + 32/36 Weber DGEV, cast iron header, 25D distributor), bolt on wheels, ON the road!

Wray Avatar
Wray Gold Member Wray Lemke
., SC, USA   USA
Dale, that was really informative, thanks for sharing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I know the deck isn't completely flat and there is a saddle but nothing I can do about it until it comes out...and yes I've measured so I'll live with it until something "breaks" and the engine comes out. Since a head gasket is an hour job, it's not a big deal.

At that point it'll either get punched out and built up or scrapped for a Gen III and a Muncie 4 speed.

Nothing wrong with the torque...the nuts were still tight. The head is perfect(I took another .010 off this morning) as well as the studs...and the "process" is fine as well. Just a slightly warped block.

Heads done, valves lapped(with a drill...no "doodle" stick here) and the only reason it's not already running is that the pictured boat came in next door and we had to spend an hour checking it out.

THAT is what $2Million dollars looks like. Modeled after a new Lamborghini. I couldn't take pics of the power plants...they're experimental Mercruiser "Black" units. Too wide for the road so the trailer is articulated so it can sit on it's side to the launch. The owner said he had it up to 161...with more to go...but back out of it. It's a private owner who's a big wig at Mercury hence the developmental engines. He could only say it was north of 1200HP....

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 01:21 PM by HiPowerShooter.

Attachments:
20180516_101429[1].jpg    30.5 KB
20180516_101429[1].jpg

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
May want to find a new vendor for them...SUMMIT has the complete set for $100...shipped.

As mentioned, either re-use the OEM's provided they're not bent or "waisted"(hourglass appearance of the threads). Any other aftermarkets and you're taking chances...

Remember, oil your threads, back off if it starts to "creak"(at the low torque of the MG...not an issue) and "check" them after 5 or 6 COMPLETE hot iron/cold iron cycles to a lb or two OVER what you set them originally. For almost ANY engine(especially cast iron without pre-stretched studs/TTY/angle torque spec'd)...the "inside out spiral" pattern will almost always work...no need to remember some geometric gymnastic sequence.

In reply to # 3737225 by MGBear But you pay dearly for the ARP pieces. I've calculated the cost of ARP studs Vs. buying a wedding ring for somebody. You get about the same satisfaction out of both. Car doesn't collect alimony when you are done with it though.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 06:25 AM by HiPowerShooter.

neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
learned something today Ill be sure to ask if the owner put on a new head gasket If they say yes I wount buy the car ive worked with aluminum heads And there is a pattern You must go by And no i would not put it back together like that The bolt pattern for an MGB or most cars if you want to do it rite Is (See Pic ) any other way and you will have what you started with A botched job Like i said before You start in the middle and go out And when you get to proper torque They say about a 1/4 turn more if using old bolts

Attachments:
0517180810-00.jpg    17.8 KB
0517180810-00.jpg

HiPowerShooter Avatar
1973 MG MGB
Nothing wrong with buying a car with a new HG...

Like I said...pictured IS the classic "Inside out spiral" of most cast iron heads. Nothing special about the MGB...the reason you do that is to "push" the stress toward the ends so that there's no room to "bow".

Also, ensure you're as straight up and down to the fastener. Don't use wobble sockets, worn sockets and tighten in roughly 3 stages. IF you must use questionable studs, either raise or lower the purchase of the nut by either screwing the studs in or raising the nut up slightly. The goal is to find GOOD thread for the nut to secure. Doesn't need to be much...just enough to not be identical to the former exact position. Most studs are long enough to provide a margin. Studs shouldn't be more than finger tight into the block as well. The nuts do the clamping...the stud threads are there to hold.

In reply to # 3737766 by neil stern learned something today Ill be sure to ask if the owner put on a new head gasket If they say yes I wount buy the car ive worked with aluminum heads And there is a pattern You must go by And no i would not put it back together like that The bolt pattern for an MGB or most cars if you want to do it rite Is (See Pic ) any other way and you will have what you started with A botched job Like i said before You start in the middle and go out And when you get to proper torque They say about a 1/4 turn more if using old bolts

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Makes it clear why one would not want to overbore too much. Just not much meat there.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
Very popular spot with 73s, happened to mine last year.
Tim

Attachments:
FA72E6E1-08C1-4D22-8A43-D3B61D99D2C3.jpeg    39.8 KB
FA72E6E1-08C1-4D22-8A43-D3B61D99D2C3.jpeg

benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3737774 by HiPowerShooter Nothing wrong with buying a car with a new HG...

Like I said...pictured IS the classic "Inside out spiral" of most cast iron heads. Nothing special about the MGB...the reason you do that is to "push" the stress toward the ends so that there's no room to "bow".

I'm guilty of sometimes not following the factory sequence, but I ALWAYS do follow an "inside out" spiral pattern and start with the center stud on the right hand side. As you said, it's important to more or less equalize things from the inside out.

Also, the first time I torqued head studs I was super paranoid and did it in 5 ft-lb increments from 30 up to 55. I've now settled down to 30-40-55.

neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
i think thats a great price for peace of mind I wrote it down thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster