AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Hmmmm I wonder why I lost power today???lol!

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180515_193534[1].jpg    51.8 KB
20180515_193534[1].jpg

converse212 Avatar
converse212 Eric Morgan
Atlanta, GA, USA   USA
1958 MG MGA
1970 MG MGB "Daily Driver"
1970 MG MGB GT "Rusty"
1971 MG MGB GT    & more
Oh that was a factory option, that’s a three cylinder engine

Daily driving a '71 MGB

Resurrecting a '58 MGA

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Also that gasket should go under the head, not on top.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGBear Avatar
MGBear Gold Member Brett Woods
East Stroudsburg, PA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
That's no good!

When I first took the gasket off my motor, I was unaware of the insane looking valve reliefs built into the gaskets so I had assumed the motor was overheated so bad it had a meltdown somehow.

Your photo takes the cake though, where is the missing piece?

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
On top of the piston I would say

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I heard the piece rattle around in one of the cylinders(lost compression in both so it was a TWO cylinder deluxe model MG) and then it disappeared so it probably blew out the tailpipe. Nowhere to be found inside either cylinder. No damage to anything. I'm guessing the 100mph run followed by a "hot" downshift into a corner was the culprit. Limped it about 15 miles home. I'll take it to the shop in the morning, clean the head up, check the valves for any sign of the piece beating up a seat or something, slap a new gasket on and be ready for the Thursday night "drive in" at one of the local ice cream shops.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 09:51 PM by HiPowerShooter.

Basil Adams Avatar
About 12 miles from Sears Point, CA, USA   USA
JB- Is that a Payen Gasket or one of the other black ones that's constructed differently? Thanks. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil C. Adams
1956 MGA Coupe (Show Car)
1957 MGA Roadster (Driver)
1958 MGA Coupe (Racecar)
1959 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Coupe (unrestored)
1960 MGA Roadster (Driver)
MKIII Elva Courier (E1056)
1967 427 Cobra
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal
A coupla late MGBs
1960 Austin Healy BN7
More Cars than Brains

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
In reply to # 3737031 by converse212 Oh that was a factory option, that’s a three cylinder engine

Actually, about 2 1/2 cylinder

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3737044 by ozieagle Also that gasket should go under the head, not on top.

Herb

grinning smiley

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3737092 by Basil Adams JB- Is that a Payen Gasket or one of the other black ones that's constructed differently? Thanks. Basil 707.762.0974 basiladams@yahoo.com

Basil, it is Payen, you can tell by the how they do the orange impregnated silicone, they are distinctly different between the two.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
Little Red Rooster Avatar
Little Red Rooster Peter Hay
Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK   GBR
1975 MG MGB
Touché. Looks like a popular spot.

Attachments:
IMG_4211.JPG    38.4 KB
IMG_4211.JPG

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3737051 by HiPowerShooter I'm guessing the 100mph run followed by a "hot" downshift into a corner was the culprit.

James,
I disagree, and I am quite certain you will dis agree with me. winking smiley

You have a malaise hiding somewhere. This head gasket failure cannot be a simple result from a short quick run as you write, particularly as clean as the gasket you show. There cannot be many miles on that gasket for sure.
You boast regularly of the right way to do things, gasket choice, head studs, torque specifications, etc. etc..
I suspect your engine block deck is not flat, your cylinder head is not flat, you have stretched cylinder head studs or just inadequate clamping force at torque. Something amiss for sure.

Re check your work and process rather than, "slap a new gasket on and be ready for the Thursday night "drive in" at one of the local ice cream shops."

Think about it, the early MGB survived the abuse of Sebring endurance races, with these being 3 main engines, 'risky' head gaskets, crummy motor oil and all.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
On my XJ6 you have got to start from the middle slowly tighten out And i suggest you get new bolts too They stretch And tighten to specs Haynes even went as far as to say when you get to proper torque Turn all bolts 1/4 turn more from middle out Now i know jag,s are not MGB,s but what i see in two different pics is they are blowing out in the middle Im thinking you didnt start from the middle out I thought id run that by you And the Jag is still running 7 years latter

Motion Avatar
Motion Gold Member Dale Spooner
Danville, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
A blowhard covers this common problem in the first 90 seconds of this video.

Member Services:
Complete automotive machine shop, with special interest in British motors.
benhutcherson Avatar
benhutcherson Gold Member Ben Hutcherson
Louisville/Frankfort, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
In reply to # 3737202 by neil stern On my XJ6 you have got to start from the middle slowly tighten out And i suggest you get new bolts too They stretch And tighten to specs Haynes even went as far as to say when you get to proper torque Turn all bolts 1/4 turn more from middle out Now i know jag,s are not MGB,s but what i see in two different pics is they are blowing out in the middle Im thinking you didnt start from the middle out I thought id run that by you And the Jag is still running 7 years latter

Knowing James, he most likely followed the prescribed torque sequence.

The advice I was offered, that I think even a lot of the engine builders like Dick Moritz follow(I can't speak for Hap) is that it's generally preferable to re-use the factory studs as long as they aren't stretched. If, for whatever reason, you need new studs you go all the way and buy ARP. There's not really an in-between option for MGBs, as the consensus is that the aftermarket studs made by anyone other than ARP are junk.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster