Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Like i said all is working Turn signals work blinkers work everything works Just wanted to know about missing red wire Someone said to look for red wire with white line in it I found it but it goes to something else But thanks for your input Even both turn signals blink and center warning light works by the ignition light blinks and the hazard light on switch blinks I wish i could post vid to prove that all works well Question dose your light bulb on your hazard switch blink when you turn the switch on

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Now the last thing to fix is the emergency brake light dose not light up when i use the hand brake It may be the bulb It may be the switch Now i have swapped out or fixed everything electric Last night when i got everything working i felt a buzz that im still feeling I can only imagine how it feels to refurbish a hole car a complete tear down must be grand What a buzz it must be

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Rob (#14) or anyone else.
(Maybe Rod's is broken in same way as mine).

I just need the faceplate for my switch. One side tab is broken, and though switch works fine, I have to fiddle with it to get bulb inside to light.

Would be a blessing if someone could send me one. I'd be happy to send my faceplate, if desired.

Neil: I've stopped reading your posts - too difficult. Please take just a few moments to at least add periods.
------
PS: If anyone has the blank plate (cat attached to) I'd be grateful for you to send. Moss does sell, but I have no need for anything else and shipping would be $15 US for a few $ part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 10:16 AM by Nicecar.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Hazard Switch Faceplate.JPG    52.3 KB
Hazard Switch Faceplate.JPG

78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Neil, To be honest with you, I am afraid to check it. I have the new Mxxx replacement switch and is on good for a few cycles. If I check it, it will be one cycle closer to failure. When it fails, I have bypass the circuit to allow the blinkers to work. Just like the light switch. The original switch lasted forever without the added light relays. I replaced the light switch with a new Mxxx switch and noticed the wiring going to the switch was warm. I added the relays and all is okay. The bottom line, the contacts in the switch or the wiring internal to the switch must be lighter than the OEM switch causing heat to be generated as the current is passed through the switch. I didn't have this problem before replacing the switch. I didn't mean to get off topic, but the replacement hazard switch is poorly designed. I would try to keep the original switch if all possible. To answer your question, the wiring diagram shows a red wire going to the switch for sw illumination. It would not flash unless the switch has a ties to the flasher circuit.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3736935 by neil stern Took my car in for a clutch Didn't do a good job And on top of that they broke my hazard light

In 27+ years, I have never let a shop do anything besides mount & balance tires. And the last four time I did that, I just took the wheels to them.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3737185 by barry s Gary and Scott X2 !

I always use a phone to post here, but mine is the uber high tech model. It has periods, commas, and all kinds of cool stuff!

It even allows paragraphs! winking smiley

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3737391 by V8MGBV8
In reply to # 3736935 by neil stern Took my car in for a clutch Didn't do a good job And on top of that they broke my hazard light

In 27+ years, I have never let a shop do anything besides mount & balance tires. And the last four time I did that, I just took the wheels to them.

The tire shop mashed in the tops of several chrome lugnuts on our Mazda, somehow. sad smiley

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Now read this i have one for you its old but itS a face plate if you dont want to read cus i dont put periods thats fineBut if we were to talk in person would you see periods then Email me with your add. @ sternneils@gmail.com and ill send it to you Oh you can send add. or call me if you email

Attachments:
0516181421-00.jpg    19.2 KB
0516181421-00.jpg

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Thats strange mine even the way i have it works fine and no heat are u sure you dont have the two wires touching one should be on one sid and the other on the other side It sounds like its shorting out I like it blinking Im giving the switch cover to someone if he wants it and i have a new switch body if you want it tell me if you want it But im keeping the bulb sent you pic of back of switch See the two tabs black wire should be on one side and the red should be on the other i have had guys say they have them both red and black on the same side not a good idea I should post a pic of what i did it is nice to have it blink My original one that i fixed and still using blinked so i made it blink Its cool the switch ,turn signals , the emergency light by the ignition blinks not bad looks cool and it dosent get hot you got to separate The red and black wire and it will not get hot try that if thats how you have it I can see that would get hot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 01:50 PM by neil stern.

Attachments:
0516181437-00.jpg    19.4 KB
0516181437-00.jpg

0516181440-00.jpg    19.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 Silver Member George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Why were they futzing around in that area to do a clutch job? Clumsy oafs removing the gear shift lever? What did they use, a BFH?

Why not take it back? they broke, they fix it. If the clutch doesn't work as it should, return it for repair until it does.

In reply to # 3736935 by neil stern Took my car in for a clutch Didnt do a good job And on top of that they broke my hazard light Pushed in the little window and now when it works The lights blinks but not the the light in the switch So i took it apart got some glue and fixed the window noticed i had a ground wire connected and thought it odd there was no positive wire on the other side Thinking at first there was a internal pos connection But still after tearing it apart and back still not working So i had the idea to make a jumper Looped it around one of the four post in back And over to the pos side And guess what it worked Now im thinking they must of pulled the wire while working on the car I have looked for a loose positive wire but cant find one Can someone enlighten me on where to find this wire It was months till i made me crazy enough to fix it I could leave it that way but it bothers me for some reason

---
GEO

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
George they would not own up to it A friend Mike warren has a shop 4 star Begged me to bring it in He was so happy he sent me a pallet of sod I wouldnt let Tuffy.s change my shoes They couldnt even bleed the clutch I did it 10 mins i drove it back and showed them They also (part of the problem) didnt put the motor mount on rite engine was tilted to one side If you are in fl Go to Mike warren has a shop heres his card And now i can use one of his lifts free

Attachments:
0516181500-00.jpg    25.1 KB
0516181500-00.jpg

78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Neil, I decided to check my hazard switch for the two side terminals. Applied 12v to one side and ground to the other side. The hazard light in the switch came on. While checking, the switch basically fail apart. Like I said, one sorry switch! I will reassemble it and make sure the two standalone terminals at one end are closed. This make the blinkers work.
I didn't mean to side track your topic, but the headlight switch is the one I replaced that resulted with warn wiring to that switch. The head light relays corrected that problem. I was just pointing out the quality of the replacement parts. Maybe all the wonderful replacement parts are ending up on my B's.

Attachments:
20180516_172402.jpg    26.2 KB
20180516_172402.jpg

20180516_173128.jpg    37.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Faceplate of sw.

Attachments:
20180516_172259.jpg    43.1 KB
20180516_172259.jpg

78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Neil, One correction in my previous post, I mentioned the red wire for switch illumination. I should have said the red and white wire. The red wires go to the marker and tail lights. The red and white wires are used for gauge and switch illumination. Sorry..

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 Silver Member George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
That's a poor shop for sure.Sorry you had that experience.

I'll be Jensen Beach the end of June for a short time. One of my best friends summers in Naples. He's a photographer, into Mustangs and a Vespa.

I do all my own work except body & paint.

In reply to # 3737429 by neil stern George they would not own up to it A friend Mike warren has a shop 4 star Begged me to bring it in He was so happy he sent me a pallet of sod I wouldnt let Tuffy.s change my shoes They couldnt even bleed the clutch I did it 10 mins i drove it back and showed them They also (part of the problem) didnt put the motor mount on rite engine was tilted to one side If you are in fl Go to Mike warren has a shop heres his card And now i can use one of his lifts free

---
GEO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster