Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Took my car in for a clutch Didnt do a good job And on top of that they broke my hazard light Pushed in the little window and now when it works The lights blinks but not the the light in the switch So i took it apart got some glue and fixed the window noticed i had a ground wire connected and thought it odd there was no positive wire on the other side Thinking at first there was a internal pos connection But still after tearing it apart and back still not working So i had the idea to make a jumper Looped it around one of the four post in back And over to the pos side And guess what it worked Now im thinking they must of pulled the wire while working on the car I have looked for a loose positive wire but cant find one Can someone enlighten me on where to find this wire It was months till i made me crazy enough to fix it I could leave it that way but it bothers me for some reason

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Neal, I have a couple comments. I assume you are talking of the light inside the switch? According to the wiring diagram, you six wires going to the switch. If my memory serves me correctly, they go to a six wire mating connector. If your blinkers stop working, that switch has failed. You can bypass that switch with a small jumper across the mating connector if needed to get the blinkers working again. However, the hazard circuit will be inoperative. The bad: if you order a new switch from MXXX, limit use of this hazard switch. The quality is not very good and the new switch will fail very quickly.

Good luck!

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Hi George thanks for your reply I tried to not make it not so confusing Yes the blinkers work but not the light in the switch On each side of the switch there are connectors One had a ground wire the other i gather was for a positive When they worked on my car they must have pulled that wire cus i cant find it anywhere under the dash So i made a jumper from one of the four post to the pos side of the switch I GOT IT TO WORK (GOT THE LIGHT IN THE SWITCH TO WORK) all is good now But my question Is there a positive wire that i cant find under the dash I think they ripped it out By the way your rite i had bought a new switch Not as good as the old one the connectors on each side just pull out And it didnt fit well too loose to stay in place Once again i did get it to work with the jumper Just wanted to know if there is a positive wire under the dash somewhere

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 09:08 PM by neil stern.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GILMGA Avatar
GILMGA Silver Member Gil Dupre
CHATTANOOGA, TN, USA   USA
1962 MG MGA
1974 MG MGB GT
Operater the switch several times it may clear up the blinkers problem. Corrosion on the blinker contact( I presume blinkers are the turn signals)

Gil

78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Hello Neil, there is red wire to the switch for switch illumination. That wire is spliced to a group of wires coming from the gauge dimmer. There appears to be about 7 wires coming from that splice. (Fuel gauge, temperature gauge, Tach, heater fan, hazard Sw, speedometer, and clock.) If you can locate that splice, maybe you can locate the missing wire....

Good Luck.

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
I got it to work with the jumper Everything is working like it should Just wanted to know if there is a positive wire under the dash somewhere to go to the positive post on other side of switch Im 67 years old And for the life of me i cant see one Just thought it interesting to find out if there is one They must have ripped the dam wire out

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Hi George Yes i saw that and i connected it first try It did not work remember its got to make the tiny light blink when the headlights and tail lights blink Thats why i then went to the back of switch to one of those post connecting to the external lights Got it to work i made my girlfriend come out to the garage to see kind of proud i thought of it If there is no internal pos connection Then there has to be an external red wire somewhere i think they ripped it out on the back of the connector that the switch plugs into Thats the only thing i can think of But just the same i did get it to work with a jumper wire Thanks for your input ill check Wednesday

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
Neil,

Attached is a pic of the underdash loom from a '79 (your 1980's should be the same). In the center of the pic is the 6 pin connector for the switch and just to the right of it are a white/red wire and black wire that attach to the side terminals for switch illumination. As you can see, all of these 8 wires exit the loom at the same spot.

FYI, the hazard switch illumination is supposed to be constant whenever the headlights are on (controlled by the dimmer rheostat), the switch lighting isn't supposed to blink on and off with the hazard lights.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the photo...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 10:31 PM by course2kid.

Attachments:
20180515_195007.jpg    40.9 KB
20180515_195007.jpg

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
Neil:

For God's sake write sentences with a period at end.

I'd like to help, but your posts are too hard for me to read.

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
Thanks i see both are going to same connect Good pic strange cus if it were so you would have no way to channel the power through the light bulb Neg and pos together in the same connection It should short And the one i had when i first bought it Blinked So thats the way i wanted it to work I noticed the connector had pulled out of switch on your picture On the new switch i had i didnt use it cus they were far too loose Thanks for the pic and info If its not to blink well i like it the way it is so much nicer

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
OK.

neil stern Avatar
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
By the way ill look for the red and white wire If i dont see it im sure they pulled the wire Or broke it off Id like to tell u that they do good work But Tuffy dose not stand by their work they never offered to fix it And i have a receipt from them for $100.00 cus i had to bleed the clutch myself Now why would they give me that money back They say they stand by their work NO THEY DID NOT so if you need work done rite Find a good shop that stands by their work Heres a pic with the refund After i drove the car in and showed i got the clutch bled And their pro's couldnt And all they gave me back for their shoddy work was about $100.00 But in a court of law it would be proof enough

Attachments:
0516180531-00.jpg    21.5 KB
0516180531-00.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
You must be using a phone or something. Hard to read.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Rob-USLE Avatar
Rob-USLE Rob DE JOODE
Rotterdam, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
just for information, incase on a 1977/1980 US RBB the hazard light switch doesn't work, than there is big change your turning signals don't work also.
Please check this.
PS I broke the hazard switch on one of my 80 US RBBLE's last year just by applying it - plastic got brittle , had to buy a few new ones before I got one what worked, something with chinese quality.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Gary and Scott X2 !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster