MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

What parts from other cars you have in your MGB?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
I am talking OEM parts from other car brands, perhaps sourced from a junk yard or bought new.
In my case, here's the list:

1- Fuel pump from a Subaru
2- Relay module and relays from a Toyota
3- Heater valve from a Volkswagen
4- Electric cooling fan from a Kia
5- Fuel cut out switch from a Ford
6- Third brake light from a GMC
7- Exhaust band clamps from a Harley Davidson

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 04:55 PM by Ahmed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
aeroshadow Alex B
Port Dover, ON, Canada   CAN
Ford( I think) ball valve heater valve, Miata transmission and clutch disc, 7 day mechanical clock from a Russian tank, Volkswagen relays, VDO voltmeter from a boat, facet fuel pump from an Alfa GTV ( not an original Alfa part but that's where it came from)

Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
The only things I can think of are the vintage wood steering wheel, adapted from who knows what, and a GM alternator. But there's also some brackets and stuff that I machined myself.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Buick engine
Chevy S10 pressure plate
Mecedes clutch disk
Chevy Camaro T-5 transmission
GM alternator
Triumph engine fan
Mazda Miata seats

JustinSchroder Avatar
JustinSchroder Justin Schroder
Lynchburg, VA, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB MkIV "Nigel"
Hey, Carl,

How much effort were the Miata seats to get fitted?

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
240SX Nissan rear brakes
VW heater valve
$60 aluminum rad from Amazon
Minitor wheels
Nippon Denso alternator from a Perkins engine (soon to be installed)
$24 radio with SD port (plays great)
CAT battery cut off switch
Fuel filter from a Dodge

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
My '72 is only about 75% MGB. The rest is mostly from Summit, Speedway, Jegs, and Online Metals. Plus the local hardware store. The only parts from another car are the glove box latch from a late-sixties Beetle and the windshield bottom seal from an early-sixties Porsche.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3736677 by JustinSchroder Hey, Carl,

How much effort were the Miata seats to get fitted?

Not difficult at all. Here is how Jim Stuart, Simon Austin, & I did it. There are a few other methods out there, as well.

In reply to # 548394 by V8MGBV8 Miata seat installation thread now available in the MG Enthusiasts BBS archives. Here's most of the good stuff:

------------------------------

Jim Stuart, Maryland, USA, jimbb88@comcast.net

If you remove the stock seats and fill the captive nuts with studs about 1 1/2- 2" long, it makes everything easier. A trial fit of the Miata seats shows that the front Miata mounting holes almost line up with the studs in the floor. A rat tail file or Dremel will make that a fit. Fender washers will make the bolt up secure.

The rear Miata mounts are extensions rivited to the frame. If you drill out the rivits, they can be re-positioned and reattached either with a nut & bolt or by MIG welding. I have done both with equal success.

Sorry, I never recorded the rear leg positions. Keep the seat frame parallel to the outside sill and work off that point.

Left & right seats have slightly different locations but both can be located the same way. I like using studs, washers and nuts in place of bolts and washers, but either system works.

Hope all this makes sense and helps you with the fitting. E-mail me direct if you need more info.

-----------------------------------

Simon Austin, British Columbia, Canada, sdaustin@shaw.ca

I may be able to help you out as well, J.B. I did this conversion to my V8 roadster a while back.

Briefly explained, I made up a template of the factory floor holes and made up brackets to fit these. As Jim says, the seats line up pretty well on their own or at least the driver's seat does. For some reason, Mazda moved the passenger seat inside rail out an inch. I made spacer-brackets to over-come this.

If you want to contact me, I can provide more info and pics. FWIW, I used the first generation seats (with the speaker cutouts in the headrests). I don't know if the later seats have the same rail dimensions.

--------------------------------------

Carl Floyd, Tennessee, USA, cmfloyd@yahoo.com

Mark,

You need to go sit in a Miata. The leg room is not any different (with the seats not the two cars) as far as I can tell. Miata seats are great for those 5'10" & under. The back & back support is not ideal for taller people. I'm 6'2" and I don't find them very comfortable. My dad is 5'5" and loves 'em.

I have them in my '79 B. I found no need to swap the driver & passenger seats. I used the stock mounting holes & bolts. Here's the way I did it:

I cut off the front Miata mounts & welded two 1.5" (approx) Ls for the front "feet" to give some rise for thigh support.

In the back, I straightened the rear Miata mounts to be parallel with the seat tracks. This lowers the seat but causes the seat bottom to hit the floorboard. The Miata seat bottom is thin mild steel so it was bashed in for clearance. The rear mounts are held on by two rivets. I removed the outer rivet & swiveled the mounts inward to work with the stock MG mounting holes. Welded them in place. Once the front was bolted in place & the rear was located, I welded fender washers on the rear mounts since the Miata mount bolt holes are much too large.

----------------------------------------

Carl Floyd, Tennessee, USA, cmfloyd@yahoo.com

"Something else I had to do was swap them side for side as there was a bulge in the seat machanism that wouldn't otherwise clear the frame. Do MGBs have any problem with that?"

No. I didn't have to swap them. The mechanism just cleared on my '79.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CarlFloyd/CarlFloyd-I.jpg

I did take the seat bottom apart & scoop out some of the foam cushion with an electric knife to sit lower. I need a lowered floor so I won't have to build such a tall rollbar.

Cmpozr Avatar
Cmpozr Ray Weidner
Forest, VA, USA   USA
Pontiac Fiero seats
Ford Sierra T-9 Tranny
Early gearshift knob
'77 (and after) steering wheel & dash--both modified
CS 130 Alternator
Early style chrome grille
C style bonnet

74 Chrome Bumper MGB
71 Triumph TR-6 (original owner)

"Every LBC is a rolling restoration."
"These are the cars that try men's souls."
"The past is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
My B/GT V8 has...

Bonnet louvers from a 1985 Chrysler New Yorker.

Pontiac Fiero seats.

Rearview mirrors from an 80's vintage General Motors car (probably Buick).

Third brake light from an early 2000's small Chevy Blazer/

Rover 3.9 litre V8 engine with Buick 300 crank, Ford pistons, Buick 300 aluminum heads.

BW World Class T5 transmission (General Motors)

Ford 8" differential with Auburn 3.27 posi.

And a boatload of aftermarket parts such as front crossmember, fourlink rear, Autometer guages, etc, etc, etc.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com

Attachments:
Buick mirror 4.jpg    39.3 KB
Buick mirror 4.jpg

2002 Blazer 3rd brakelight 1.jpg    39.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCF0830.JPG    25.5 KB
20160411_153455.jpg    33.3 KB
20160411_153531.jpg    44.2 KB
FastCars Crossmember_resized.jpg    56.4 KB
Undercarriage resize.jpg    33.9 KB
Rob-USLE Avatar
Rob-USLE Rob DE JOODE
Rotterdam, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
One of my B's is equipped with a Ford T9 5 speed gearbox and an Eaton supercharger, asfound in a Merc or New MINI.

Bealey Avatar
Bealey Silver Member Joe & Barb Hahn
East Wenatchee, WA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Bealey"
1974 MG MGB GT
I can see right now that I'm going to have to up my game if I'm going to run with this crowd! smiling smiley

Datsun 280ZX 5 speed
Fiero heater blower with four speed fan switch and hi blow relay from an Olds
Saturn alternator
Plus a variety of aftermarket and speed shop items that I've apparently paid too much for as it looks like my time and money would have been better spent hanging out at Pull N Save. devil smiley

Seriously though, my hats off to all of you for thinking outside the box.

Joe

ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Miata seats
Datsun gearbox
Wolseley Third (and fourth) brake lights

Generic

Heater valve
123 ign
Radio
Battery cutout switch
Central locking and alarm
Headlight relays
8 way fuse box, all of car is fused
Lucas alternator

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
1972 MGB roadster:
-'85 Mustang T5 trans with FAB TEK adaptation
-9.25" S-10 clutch
-Chev HTOB
-1.65/1.40 VW valves
-Speedhut GPS Speedo

1974 MGB Roadster:
-1990 Oldsmobile Quad4 engine, W41 spec. with Factory EFI, closed loop control system
-BMC 18 gallon alloy fuel tank with fuel pump for EFI
-1988 Camaro T5 trans, Quad4 Rods bellhousing
-Howe racing HTOB
-Quad4 clutch
-Autometer gages with Speedhut GPS speedo.
-Energy suspension red urethane suspension bits
-custom exhaust system for the Quad4
-VTO 15x6 wheels, Cooper tires
-custom FAB-TEK design alloy radiator fromHowe Racing
-FAB-TEK 4:1 headers with merge collector

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
neil stern Avatar
Florida, Naples, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "My Tomato"
One horn from my K 75 BMW windshield spritzer from auto zone and thats because it was mentioned on the forum and it worked great thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster