This topic is about my 1969 MG MGC GT
stolizino Avatar
stolizino Silver Member Gary Kinslow
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB MkII "HRH Camille Of Marmite"
1969 MG MGC GT "Percival Snickersnacker"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Grover"
2006 BMW M Roadster "Manfred"    & more
Common knowledge to many here, but I figured a reminder for some of the newer members won't hurt. I hate accessing the battery on those rare occasions when it goes flat, even brand-new, if the user, say, me, forgets to turn off the MGC-GT headlights after a 300-mile drive because other pressing matters are more urgent, and the car is packed.

I always carry in each car a mini lithium ion power pack that's good for a host of tasks in addition to jumping a car, and in the MGB/C it's the easiest thing in the world to jump a dead battery by attaching the power pack positive cable clamp to the starter solenoid post where the heavy 12V battery cable is connected, and the power pack negative cable clamp to any convenient ground. Took two minutes and beats unloading the rear seat and removing the battery box cover.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
Hayesville, NC, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB
Gary, good idea.
I installed a power distribution block, just take off the yellow cap and connect the positive jumper cable. Connect the negative cable to any good convenient ground point. With the cover removed it, also, makes it easy to add circuits, if one so desires.

Best regards,
Ted

Tri-County British Car Club
Young Harris, GA

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.

Benjamin Franklin

Attachments:
IMG_3710.JPG    39 KB
IMG_3710.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG    43.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
stolizino Avatar
In reply to # 3735660 by tdmoe Gary, good idea.
I installed a power distribution block, just take off the yellow cap and connect the positive jumper cable. Connect the negative cable to any good convenient ground point. With the cover removed it, also, makes it easy to add circuits, if one so desires.

Even better! Where did you get the power block? What's the inline fuse do?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MRoadster Avatar
MRoadster Gold Member Jim Wulf
Doylestown, PA, USA   USA
1938 MG TA Tickford "The TA"
1963 Ford Thunderbird "The M Car"
1967 MG MGB MkI "The B"
I've installed a relay to shut off the headlights automatically when the ignition is turned off, so no worries about the battery going dead or fooling around with jumpers. I used a simple Bosch relay installed under the dash where it can't be seen so everything looks original. Very detailed directions, even including a wiring diagram, were very graciously supplied to me by Ahmed EL Abasiry of this forum.

It's still a good idea to have a mini power pack along, even though I'll never have a dead battery (againconfused smiley) from leaving the lights on.

stolizino Avatar
In reply to # 3735737 by MRoadster I've installed a relay to shut off the headlights automatically when the ignition is turned off, so no worries about the battery going dead or fooling around with jumpers. I used a simple Bosch relay installed under the dash where it can't be seen so everything looks original. Very detailed directions, even including a wiring diagram, were very graciously supplied to me by Ahmed EL Abasiry of this forum.

It's still a good idea to have a mini power pack along, even though I'll never have a dead battery (againconfused smiley) from leaving the lights on.

thumbs up

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
All for a power tap. Makes powering a timing light easier too. I have a gear reduction starter, so built in relay, so I run a wire from the starter up to a big stud. That way I don't have one more connection between starter and battery. Detail, but so many years in f/a make me think like that. I have a common ground on the engine plate so I should run a jumper to a stud from there too. Seems I am always looking for some place my meter will clip.

My generic ignition switch has two circuits as in modern cars. ACC and IGN. So, I use a relay for the entire ACC loads which is everything but the ignition and pump. Standard Bosch or Hella only.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

skyhigh123 Tony Williams
Montesquiou, Le Gers, France   FRA
Thanks for the useful tip-I find it a real nuisance to remove the rear battery cover to access the battery on my MGA. When I've got there and attached the "Bolt" lithium pack I have found it works very well.

So, a follow up question-when I do want to charge the car battery, is it just as effective to connect the charger to the red starter solenoid terminal/lead and earth as described above as connecting directly to the battery?

stolizino Avatar
In reply to # 3736545 by skyhigh123 Thanks for the useful tip-I find it a real nuisance to remove the rear battery cover to access the battery on my MGA. When I've got there and attached the "Bolt" lithium pack I have found it works very well.

So, a follow up question-when I do want to charge the car battery, is it just as effective to connect the charger to the red starter solenoid terminal/lead and earth as described above as connecting directly to the battery?
Good question. In principle, I don’t see why not.

tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
1968 MG MGB
Gary, Sorry for the late reply, am out of town. The fused wire comes from the alternator supplying power to the circle power taps. Got the block from JEGS or Summit.

Best regards,
Ted

Young Harris, GA

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.

Benjamin Franklin

Attachments:
IMG_3931.JPG    42.1 KB
IMG_3931.JPG

stolizino Avatar
Ted, why is it necessary to run that circuit instead of relying on the main cable from the solenoid to the power post? Does the main cble not provide power to those taps? What ciruitry would you attach tro these taps?

BTW, I bought a power post identical to yours from eBay. Arrives tomorrow. Also bought a grounding post to have a dedicated spot for grounding instead of looking for a convenient spot in the engine bay.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Yes you can easily use a remote power post to jump start , to jump start someone else, to power a timing light, to perform voltage diagnostics on alternator and battery, to tap power for a 120v ac inverter 400watt or larger, power tap for accessory driving lights, charging your battery ,etc etc.

In reply to # 3736545 by skyhigh123 Thanks for the useful tip-I find it a real nuisance to remove the rear battery cover to access the battery on my MGA. When I've got there and attached the "Bolt" lithium pack I have found it works very well.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

stolizino Avatar
That's good to know, Rob. Where would you mount one on a MGC? Not a whole lot of available spaced in there.

tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
1968 MG MGB
Gary,
Yes, power is available from the starter solenoid post. Yes, the main cable supplies power to the taps.

I added an auxiliary/ separate fuse block for the head light relays (hi & low) as well as a horn relay. Oh yea, I installed foot well lights. All are connected to the aux fuse block. If I want to add more "things" I don't have to bother the main fuse block.

Had an available fitting on the alternator so I figured why not attach it to the power distribution block and power the new fuse block.
So far so good.
Hope that made some sense.

Best regards,
Ted

Young Harris, GA

Benjamin Franklin

Attachments:
IMG_3709.JPG    45.2 KB
IMG_3709.JPG

stolizino Avatar
In reply to # 3738319 by tdmoe Gary,
Yes, power is available from the starter solenoid post. Yes, the main cable supplies power to the taps.

I added an auxiliary/ separate fuse block for the head light relays (hi & low) as well as a horn relay. Oh yea, I installed foot well lights. All are connected to the aux fuse block. If I want to add more "things" I don't have to bother the main fuse block.

Had an available fitting on the alternator so I figured why not attach it to the power distribution block and power the new fuse block.
So far so good.
Hope that made some sense.

Wow! That's an elegant and clean solution. Obviously a great deal of thought went into planning it. Many thanks for the pic.

tdmoe Avatar
tdmoe Gold Member Ted M
1968 MG MGB
Gary,
I would love to take some credit for advance thought and planing but the fact of the matter is It just seemed like something that would work. As I've said, so far so good.

Would like to see some photos of your install.

Best regards,
Ted

Young Harris, GA

Benjamin Franklin

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster