Overdrive in '74 B GT's

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, TX, USA   USA
I am finishing up a 74 B GT and about to retrofit an O/D gearbox. However, in reading the Moss Production Data Table, it would seem that no 74 GT's were so fitted ex works. I realize that Moss is not necessarily the holy grail, so can anyone shed some light. Cheers, Roger

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
willie3051 Avatar
willie3051 William Leong
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
Moss must've forgot to print a line in their production info table for 74 GTs with O/D. O/Ds were a $180 (or so) option in '74 and certainly some customers ordered them.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
My old '74 BGT had overdrive. Of course maybe the previous owner had had it installed later, but it definitely did have o/d which I had always thought was original.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Marc2 Avatar
Marc2 Silver Member Mark Hoefle
Richardson, TX, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Green Machine"
I bought a salvaged OD transmission that was original equipment in a (wrecked) UK '74 MGB-GT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-12 07:11 AM by Marc2.

LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, MA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
my early CB 74 has OD from factory, 3rd and 4th gears.
jim

njlwa Avatar
njlwa Gold Member Norm Leech
Deer Meadows, WA or S. TX, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Sea Bee "CB"
1975 MG MGB "Arby II"
2001 BMW Z3
My 74 GT has OD, I'll have to check the Heritage Cert. when I get back to TX.

"Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved "

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
It may have had something to do with the total weight of the car at the time. BL had to shed as many pounds as possible to get the car into a certain weight class to prevent it from being placed in a higher emission class. As it was, it barely made it. RAY

dawvid Avatar
dawvid Silver Member David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
My 74 CB GT was built with an OD. (I have the original build order).

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
David, Almost all Bs were ordered by the dealers, not the end buyers. The amount of time waiting to get the car was a big factor in which options each car would come with. Most came with wire wheels as this wasn't an expensive option. Even the heater was an option for a long time. An OD was one of the costliest options and this was why dealers were hesitant to order a car with one for fear that it would sit on the showroom floor gathering dust due to the higher price tag. RAY

dawvid Avatar
dawvid Silver Member David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
Here's a copy of the "production card" from the factory showing OD as option.

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 07:19 AM by dawvid.

Attachments:
GTbuildPaper.jpg    53.6 KB
GTbuildPaper.jpg

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Silver Member Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
The advance wiring diagram has wiring for OD on the 74 pages.

Are you worried about originality or how to get the job done?

Cheers Rob

eks3703 Silver Member E K Starzinger
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
1968 MG MGB GT "Chimera"
1974 MG MGB "The Mirage"
1974 MG MGB GT
It would have been a black label overdrive, o/d in 3rd and 4th.. Here's the body production card and port document for my 74 GT showing it shipped with o/d, and a scan of the MG brochure with option list.

Regards,
Erich

blt 449 roger sykes
Conroe, TX, USA   USA
Folks:
Thanks for the inputs. As this is a nut-and-bolt restoration to original, my only concern is originality. Guess the proof-readers at Moss missed a Zig.
Cheers, Roger

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster