MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

where is Ed who sold the GM CS-130 alternators...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
altered to fit MGB?

I need a new one. But he had modded an old part, maybe Saturn? and parts guys don't get excited chasing the tail end of a goose..

I hope he's still around,

OR someone can direct me to a new source or even give good instructions on identify what he used and how to modify tit.

The bearings seized about 25 miles north of Napa this afternoon, shredded fan belt and overheated. I think I shut it off in time. An emergency call to forum member Randall Carlson, brought him and a couple alternators he had on hand, neither of which were useful as it turned out. Contacted Jim Legg, forum member in Napa, woke him up in fact (sorry Jim!) and he didn''t have a worn out alternator/core that could let me install fan belt and use battery power to get home (Randy'd brought battery from his B!)

Towing was quoted at 450 to 600. Heck, I could afford loosing parts by leaving the car on site until morning in place of that. (No, No Haggarty, no locked storage!). So we flat towed the B behind Randy's Chrysler Minivan, with several interruptions as the strap broke, to Jim's house in Napa were I left it. Will look thru my cra...err, spare parts and I might have an alternator core that will support a fan belt, then I can drive home on a couple batteries.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3718432 by mac townsend I might have an alternator core that will support a fan belt, then I can drive home on a couple batteries.

You will be surprised how far you can get on a good battery! Keep the radio, wipers, heater fan and lights off.
Electrically all you are doing is charging the coil.
You might be able to get a short fan belt that will go crank to water pump though it won't be very tight it is a possibility.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Ed is the 123 distributors guy. http://123ignitionusa.com/123ignitions/

Mod is to pick the right case and change the pulley. CS-130 is a series of alternators just designating the size of the case ( 120, 130, 150 series)

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
This is from a Bob Munchausen article.
1991-1995 Saturn SW1 SL1 single cam. Requires front plate reclocked.
Advance Auto Parts, Part #PB1073.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
there is also an artical on the Gerard’s Garage web site in the modifications drop down.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 MG C Type Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links