Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carbus Avatar
carbus Carl Bussler
Havertown, PA, USA   USA
I'm putting new foam in these seats, and when I removed the frame back from the driver's side, it actually sprang apart. It's a very tight fight, and to get the frame back to bolt to the fame bottom requires a good deal of force to compress them together.

This weekend I removed the passenger side and did a comparison. I thought perhaps the back frames were side specific (right goes on right, left on left). I noticed the bends at the bottom of the seat backs look different. The passenger back follows the bottom nicely, whereas the driver side back bows out.

Also, these seats have a threaded bracket at the bottom of the seat back. This is in between the two bolts that adjust seat back inclination. What is this for?

Thanks!

-Carl

1967 MGB GT (Tartan Red)
1972 Yamaha XS650 (Red and White)
2005 Scion XA RS 1.0 #959 of 1550 (Absolutely Red)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
passenger-frame.jpg    143.1 KB
passenger-frame.jpg

driver-frame.jpg    140.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
seat-bracket.jpg    70.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Your second picture shows the frame bent/bowed which would change the dimension. The threaded part is for a seat back locking mechanism to keep the seat back locked in position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 02:40 PM by chris.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
carbus Avatar
carbus Carl Bussler
Havertown, PA, USA   USA
Thanks Chris!

Once you said 'lock' I did a search on here and found another thread where somebody asked a similar question, and you answered them.

Other seat topic here: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,3124498

So, the mechanism locks the back into place. Got it. Since I've put 3-point seat belts in the GT, I guess I don't need that feature.

But, it's great to learn about these little things!

-Carl

1967 MGB GT (Tartan Red)

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I'm glad that you brought up that old thread! I wasn't quite right this time. That is indeed the lock part, but I also said that it adjusted the seat which is not correct. That is the job of the two bolts, one on either side of the bottom of the seat back. What a way to adjust a seat!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Did I mention, long ago, that they're called seat squabs. RAY

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
LOL! That started a whole nuther debate!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Bruce Cunha Avatar
placerville, CA, USA   USA
1950 MG TD
1967 MG MGB GT
My 67 GT does not have any "lock" to keep the back from moving. It has the adjuster.

Bruce E. Cunha

chris Avatar
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Then one would guess you have newer seats if you are talking about the type with levers.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
I don't know which seats were fitted with the lock, but there should be a matching, slotted tab on the bottom frame. The lock function was to stop the seat back flopping forward under hard braking and I'm pretty sure only installed on the passenger side. Don't quote me though.

I do know it is important to have during spirited driving. I'm still running stock seats in my 1965 MGB race car and the passenger one definitely needs to be locked down.

Kelvin.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Those "J" hooks that Jake showed are truly an either/or lock. Which is not very practical in a GT like my sons. I would think there would be some kind of spring loaded clip that would release with enough hand pressure, but be strong enough to hold the back in place under braking.

The MGA has no lock and under hard braking the passengers seat back will flop forward. I have not yet been able to accelerate hard enough to flip it back into the upright position.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Kelvin, Having owned my '67 B for almost half a century, I can say with some certainty, that my seats are original. Original leather too. My two seat "squabs" were in the glove compartment when I purchased the car from the original owner in '72. Actually, the squabs don't engage any slots, but fit around the bottom of the seat frames. The tops of them have an elongated hole to provide for the adjustment of the seats. Both the drivers and passengers seats were fitted with these units. RAY

carbus Avatar
carbus Carl Bussler
Havertown, PA, USA   USA
After some more examination of the pair of seats, I realized that one seat bottom just isn't from an MGB at all.

The seat bottom frame that fits properly has an angle that follows the transmission tunnel. The other seat bottom frame is perfectly rectangular. It's also narrower than the MGB seat bottom, which is why the frame top doesn't fit.

So, I called Dick Moritz, who told me to call Glenn Towery, to see if he might have an extra driver's seat frame for an early MGB laying around.

Glenn did, and I drove down to his place on Sunday. He gave me the behind-the-scenes tour (airplanes, motorcycles, and cars).

We had a fun afternoon, and I came home with the proper seat frame for the GT. Now I just need to take it to bare metal, repaint, and get the new foam on there.

Many thanks to Dick and Glenn!

-Carl

1967 MGB GT (Tartan Red)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links