AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
While waiting for this endless winter to end, I thought of refurbishing the convertible frame. I found a couple of rivets broken and the joints are loose in general which suggests replacing more rivets.
Does anyone know the size of those rivets and any possible source?

If rivets are not available, is there any problem using bolts and lock nuts instead?
Thanks

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Ahmed,
Are you talking about the big rivets that are located at each joint? If so, I think they are 3/8” dia, but I’ll double check. If the rivet is just loose use a sledgehammer head or anvil, etc as a backer and peen the small end enough to take us some slack, but not too much. You want those points to pivot, not bind or you’ll risk breaking the sticks or joints. If you’re missing some or some need replacing I think I’ve got a few in my hardware box that I can send.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 3717775 by Perdido Ahmed,
Are you talking about the big rivets that are located at each joint? If so, I think they are 3/8” dia, but I’ll double check. If the rivet is just loose use a sledgehammer head or anvil, etc as a backer and peen the small end enough to take us some slack, but not too much. You want those points to pivot, not bind or you’ll risk breaking the sticks or joints. If you’re missing some or some need replacing I think I’ve got a few in my hardware box that I can send.
Rut

Rut,
Thanks for the reply and your kind offer.
I'll see if I can source some locally to get by. If not I will take you up on your offer and you'll get a PM grinning smiley

Thanks again..

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster