Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

78 B PaceCar Avatar
78 B PaceCar George Funderburke
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
I am hoping someone on the forum can help me with a question related to the block change on the later 18V motor. I plan to replace the oil pump strainer on a later 78 engine with a new or better strainer. I have a good earlier 18V strainer that I had planned to use, but the height of the strainer is taller. I actually tested the original 78 strainer with the original oil pan to verify that the strainer was not against the pan. I placed grease on the bottom of the strainer and installed the pan. The grease did not touch the pan. I ran the same test using the earlier 18V strainer and the strainer was against the pan indicated by grease on both the pan and strainer. Thinking maybe the earlier pan was deeper, I ran the same test with the earlier pan with the same results. The engine is stock original and never been apart. Looking on line, I can only find one strainer available and no mention of two different cast 18V blocks. Looking at the two strainers, it is obvious that one is taller than the other. My plan right now is to disassemble a spare 18V 883 motor to get the smaller strainer. My question is has anyone else had this problem? I could run the larger strainer, but the bottom part of the screen would be blocked by the pan. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
The block wasn't changed, but the oil sump capacity was reduced from 4.5 qts. to 3.5 qts. RAY

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
The strainer came in two diameters as well, I am not aware of deeper one, or more shallow one in %M Bs, they all look the same to me, but I have seen more than one have a small hole worn in the bottom, of them, so I don't doubt that could rub the bottom of some of the pans. The MGA's and 3M MGBs had a little smaller in diameter strainer, and that's the only one they sell now. I don't issue in using it on any 5M MGB , I used on engine rebuilds I done a few time. The actual pick up tube sits well above the bottom of the pan, so pick up should not be issue with any of the B series combinations.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Thanks Ray. If the block was not changed for the new motor mounts, why am I looking at two different strainers. I can order a new strainer from MXXX, but if it is the same size as the strainer I have from the earlier 18V motor I still have a problem. Do I go-ahead and run the oil pump strainer with the bottom of the screen against the pan? This is puzzling to me as I have built a few of these motors and never run into this before. I believe my experience is with motors prior to 18V 883. When you change the front engine plate for the round motor mount versus the rectangle mount or the other way around, you will notice a slight different in the location of the boss on the block for the motor mount. I have read on line that you can't install the later engine on an earlier car because of this boss change. However, the front plate will bolt up and the motor mounts will fit in either direction. With the slight boss location change, I assumed the casting of the block was slightly changed moving the oil pan slightly higher. This slight change required a smaller strainer to keep the screen from touching the pan. I guess I was wrong on my assumption. What would you suggest on the strainer problem?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Thanks Hap. I will go ahead and order a new strainer. Hopefully it will be slightly shorter and not touch the pan. The height difference is so small that you have to measure it. If it touches the pan I just won't worry about it because the pickup tube is higher in the strainer and it can pull oil from the sides. Thanks again.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
George, As far as the boss is concerned, it can be ground down to allow the fitment of the motor mount. RAY

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
GEORGE: Well I thought I had seen a "FLUKO", but I guess not now ??? Opened up a "B" Motor a few years back with about a 1/2" diameter hole in the crown of the oil pump filter. I laid a straight edge across the bottom outside of the pan and it was "Concave" about 3/16", I used my BFH and a block of wood to massage it "Convex" about 3/16" I rummaged thru my old parts supply and found a good strainer and installed it. Clearance checked good. did not rub. It never dawned on me to Measure the two filters, "EYEBALLED" they look identical. I usually check that anyway, because on Triumph Motors, ie TR-6 Spitty 1500 Midget, the oil pump pickup screen is adjustable. In fact there are two different style of pumps, Vertical pick-up and about a 45% pick-up. Nice observation thumbs upthumbs up

Member Services:
78 B PaceCar Avatar
Kennesaw, GA, USA   USA
Thanks joe. Included a picture of the two strainers. The later engine strainer was about 3/16 shorter.
Thanks Everyone.

Attachments:
20180420_175950.jpg    45.5 KB
20180420_175950.jpg

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
GEORGE: Thanks ??? Who would have "Thunk" smileys with beer

Member Services:

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster