AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Chris, Falcon was the brand of the exhaust system that Moss used to sell. I still have one on my '67 B. 15 years and still going strong. The engine also has a DUI ignition system that's based on the '70s GM HEI setup. Puts out over 50,000 volts and is controlled by an MSD Boost Timing Retard Master. It allows me to get the most out of the crappy fuel sold here in CA. RAY

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
Well you don't think you can do 30 mpg with a tuned 1.8 old 4 banger MG motor, I have run a 3.5-3.9 & 4.2 Rover engine in my 74.5 R/B GT & with the 3.5 OR the 3.9 engine I got the same mpg out of both, 30 mpg!, the 4.2 was built as a hotter engine & I could do 27-28 but I could never hit the big 30.

Attachments:
2183.JPG    81.2 KB
2183.JPG

2185.JPG    71.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Thanks Ray! You are correct, Falcon Big Bore stainless exhaust.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Well Pete, it sounds like you are calling all of us who have 30+ mpg cars liars. And there's a bunch of us. I didn't start out to build a car that got that kind of mileage, it just turned out that way. The OP asked what people did that got them there.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
CAN it be done? Yep. Is it something that's commonly seen? Nope.

Also, so far as striving for economy; In order to pick up that extra 2 or 3 MPG may cost much more than you'll ever save. Spend money on head work, ignition and all sorts of stuff only to practically realize a few bucks per year as most of these cars are relegated to part time or seasonal duty. I suppose if you're putting 20k per year on...year after year...that's one thing. Putting around town/shows etc...and seeing only 5k or so will take a few decades to see your money return.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, ON, Canada   CAN
I don't own an MGB, but that engine is pretty basic and very similar to others of the era. I find it hard to believe that 30 miles to the American gallon would be hard to obtain even with 10% ethanol gasoline. I have gotten 35 miles to the imperial gallon with my Volvo 1800 driving it hard and close to 40 mpg with my Morgan and both of those engines have in excess of 100 thousand miles. Both cars have the original camshafts and standard needles, but with a hot ignition system that gains a few percent.
Even without the better ignition, it shouldn't be hard to beat 30mpg with a 1.8 litre engine driven hard. Fred
In reply to # 3718335 by chris Well Pete, it sounds like you are calling all of us who have 30+ mpg cars liars. And there's a bunch of us. I didn't start out to build a car that got that kind of mileage, it just turned out that way. The OP asked what people did that got them there.

'Anyone who likes liver, can't taste it'
'If you want to repair car electrical systems successfully, learn Ohm's Law'.

joron Avatar
joron Silver Member Michel Joron
Roxboro, QC, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "Victoria"
I get 32-33 imp. mp/g if I make sure I don't go over 2900 rpm and it is warm enough.
Normally I'm around 30 mp/g; when it is colder than 14C I'm around 27-28 imp. mp/g.
I keep track the mp/g each time, I fill her up. In the 80s, I was doing around 25 mp/g I did not have an overdrive and I was rarely below 80 mp/h.

Like what Bruce said, good compression, good distributor, good tune-up, good spark-plugs and it is pretty easy to reach 30 mp/g with a MGB.

1977 MGB Red 'Victoria'
All Classics:
Married, 2 children, 2 dogs, MG MGB May to December.

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
Here is a very extensive review/test of the 1962 MGB when it was new and presumably in pretty good shape. http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/history/pdf/mgb_road_test_autocar.pdf 29 MPG imperial. 9.8 litre/100km or about 24.5 US miles per gallon. This is the original 2000 pound model. You guys are doing really well to squeeze 36mpg imperial out of your cars! (30mpg US)

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Referencing the Graham Robson book "The MGA, MGB, and MGC" in the charts at the back of the book it says Road & Track got 30mpg with a '68 roadster, and 29.4 with a '70 roadster.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Attachments:
20180416_195813.jpg    15.5 KB
20180416_195813.jpg

HiPowerShooter Avatar
HiPowerShooter Gold Member James Booker
Lake Winneconne, WI, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
If you're seeing 30mpg on a regular basis with these cars...you're not "whippin the ponies" and having enough fun. Unless "fun" is adhering to all posted limits and never EVER shifting above 4k RPM!lol!

Besides...even at it's worst, my MG is just about the most "economical" toy I own!lol! I guess it's just perspective

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions"--Alvin "Tex" Johnston...Boeing test pilot.

73 MGB. Tires: Round, black, hold air. Oil: Sometimes old, sometimes new...always slippery. Oil filter: Yellow, usually full of oil. Carbs: 2 SU HIF. Distributor: Yes. Headlights: Not that bright but bright enough. A bunch of other stuff most cars have but not really important enough to itemize. Oh, wait...it has a cool sounding exhaust with stickers on the chrome tips. Really slays the ladies...

momsauto Avatar
momsauto Gold Member Dan Craig
Ozark, MO, USA   USA
1953 MG TD MkII "Margaret"
1960 MG MGA 1600 "Michael"
1978 MG MGB MkIV "McGregor"
1986 Jaguar XJ-S
Made a trip to West Virginia last June - total miles driven on the GPS was 1973. Trip average was 30.2; first tank was 32.1; last tank was 33.2. Stock 18V engine in a 78 roadster with overdrive. Top up and cruise set at 75 most of the interstate miles. Running mates 69 roadster turned in 26 to 27 mpg - no overdrive. And yes - interstates are not much fun but they will get you across the country in short order. Lot of fun driving in West Virginia.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
I do not baby my Bs. I DRIVE them within the limits of the law, mostly.

i average 28 with the DGV, no overdrive. Straight highway miles at 65 I get 31.

With the dual SUs (HIF) and OD I average 30, haven't done a long highway drive with it yet but expect about 33.

30MPG +/- 10% in a B is pretty much where it should be.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
Soling2003 Avatar
Soling2003 Gary M
Pahoa, HI, USA   USA
You can’t get a real accurate assessment of MPG on one tank full.. Our tanks are too small. Gas station pumps don’t all shut off at the same time every time. So if you put an extra half or whole gallon in, that would be about 8 percent difference easily. But if you average 3-4 tank fulls you would be pretty accurate.

Back in the ‘73 I took my 66 roadster to CA. Got 32 mpg at 65 through WA and OR, but when I hit CA and was doing 80, it dropped down to 28. Non overdrive completely stock motor. Top down most of the time too.....hey, I was a teenager!

I can’t even remember what I got around town. My ‘69 I have now I haven’t driven it enough yet to even think about it. I don’t remember what the c got with OD either. Wish I still had it to check it out.

Sounds like a well tuned up B should easily be able to hit 30 freeway driving, but it could vary a lot with in town driving depending on hills and how you drive.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
When I want to test mileage I fill the B til I can see the fuel in the fill spout is about to come out the pipe and make the final fill at the same station with the same pump.

I also noted that my '79 with the DGV got a full 10% better MPG on 89 octane than it did on 87. When the price of 89 was less than 10% different than 87 I bought 89. Performance was hardly different except in steep hill country.

I didn't set out to get 30 it is what mine got when I sorted everything on my first MGB so it is what I expect to get when I sorted the next, and did, with all my DGV Bs. Like I said the 74.5 with the twin SUs I am not happy yet. It isn't running ... again...

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Instead of the whining;

OD, proper air pressure, well tuned to the lean side, light foot and many seem to get 30 on the highway. Fine.

What MODIFICATIONS can be done in the name of efficiency instead of power? Does the improved energy in a modern ignition, virtually eliminating miss-fires show up in mileage? Does changing all the grease and oils to synthetic show up measurably? How about a front air dam? How much difference between tire compounds with the same inflation? Some are made for mileage, others for grip. Does the standard breathing mods help mileage if you keep your foot out of it? Higher CR, 190 thermostat?

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster