MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Last Corvette is gone.....maybe time for another MGB?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717502 by balloonfoot
In reply to # 3717476 by NOHOME Problem with restorations is that they don't invite the imagination to the party.Yeah, there is skill development,and tool acquisition, but all said and done restorations are just paint by number.

Time for that LFX swap that you keep thinking about. Buy a car that is early enough to work in Cali and make it look like an early original car outside but with a modern drive-train. You cant let Jim have the last word with that hypertrophic MGB of his. devil smiley

Pete

You're not helping, Pete. I have a friend here in Dallas who is trying to sell me a '66 roadster as a project. No accidents, original paint, no engine but 'D' type overdrive. I keep telling him I would put that LFX in it to discourage him (he's an originality guy). Then last week he tells me he has an E-type rear end as well. Jeez now that is difficult to walk away from.

You know where I'm going to land in this discussion. Come on - a roadster with an E type rear...

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698
Continued in Part 6 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,61672

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Lloyd . Go 74 1/2, sneak in under the wire. RB and go. smileys with beer

Member Services:
roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Lloyd

Get one of these ... Corvette C2

Cheers - GV

In reply to # 3717233 by balloonfoot After 50+ years of Corvette ownership, I sold the last one a couple of weeks ago. I also sold my '06 John Cooper Works Mini. All this is in preparation for a move in a year or so to NoCal. Now the question is should I sell the Mini convertible and get an MGB? .... I love RB cars but they are not California friendly. Don't know what to do.

Attachments:
Pickett Racing 427 Corvette (1).jpg    47.9 KB
Pickett Racing 427 Corvette (1).jpg

Pickett Racing 427 Corvette (5).jpg    49.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Lloyd, make your life easy and move to almost any other state. California could make your life miserable due to so many restrictions.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717762 by Aridgerunner Lloyd, make your life easy and move to almost any other state. California could make your life miserable due to so many restrictions.

Bill....I hear ya. I moved out of Southern California 12 years ago....after being there for 34 years. It was the place to be in the car world during the 70s, but it got progressively worse. You don't realize how bad it is until you move away. Car life is a piece of cake here in Texas, but all my wife's family is in Northern California. The car deal is the least of my problems really......its the fact you have to pay 1 million for a 50's Marin County tract shack that gets me. As a bonus you may also get a 20 x 20 garage if you're lucky. Another reason I'm not looking for a project.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
I would love to have a 20’x20’ garage.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717854 by dohc281 I would love to have a 20’x20’ garage.

Perhaps, but I bet you didn't pay 1 million for your house either.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
That’s very true. LOL

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717854 by dohc281 I would love to have a 20’x20’ garage.

With a lift!

I'd take Northern Cal over Southern Cal every time, Lloyd. You need to be farther out, though. When CA splits into 2 or 3 states, you will still be in the wrong state. eye popping smiley

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
There are a decent number of fairly stock 1968 - 1971 MGBs around. I'm sure most of these cars have something new-fangled on them (e.g., a Pertronix ignition or a Saturn alternator) but the effort and cost to revert to the original equipment would be minimal. You definitely wouldn't have to do a major restoration.

Why do I pick 1968 - 1971? Supply is better than the earlier cars. Those years have some creature comforts. They still have the 8.8:1 compression ratio engines. They avoid the strictest California emission laws.

Let me give you an example - my 1971 car (which is NOT for sale). The deviations from factory are known and minor. Off the top of my head they are:
1) Removal of emissions gear (which is in a box should it ever be required)
2) Pertronix Ignitor II ignition
3) Cruise control
4) Spax rear shocks
5) Overdrive - not stock, but it was available from the factory
6) Chose the door panels that have the silver strip on them (which didn't arrive until 1972)
7) LED taillights
8) Single battery
9) Stereo
10) Full carpet
11) Hood has zip out rear window (didn't arrive until 1973(?))
12) Driver's door has a 1973 mirror (long story behind that one)

I'm betting you could revert everything back to pure factory within a day or two. But would even a purist like you do away with the zip out window?

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
13 ). Change oil to 20 / 50

Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I was fortunate on my last MGB purchase to over-ride the built in complicator in my brain that tells me to do stupid things to my cars.
I am actually going to take my car to my best friends shop and have them remove a small dent and fix some chips. In the old days this could have lead to a respray.
The local engine guy drove my car and said why don’t you wait until you need an overhaul before you buy a 1950 from me.
The first thing I did after washing the car was the removal of the accessories.
The one picture I have on this site is right after the wash and right before the roll bar.
Fortunately the new house build keeps my mind off of project cars.

joed Avatar
joed Silver Member Joe Guthrie
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Lloyd,
Contact Matt Dabney, he could probably help you find a car in SoCal.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717918 by Rick Fawthrop
The one picture I have on this site is right after the wash and right before the roll bar.

So, what is that black bar in back that is impersonating a roll bar? grinning smiley

GMB3 Avatar
GMB3 Silver Member George Badger
Soquel, CA, USA   USA
1965 Jaguar E-Type Coupe "1QUICK E"
1968 MG MGB "1QUICK B"
Lloyd, since you speak disparagingly of Cali, why move?

You know, it's expen$sive here?

---
GEO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links