MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Last Corvette is gone.....maybe time for another MGB?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
After 50+ years of Corvette ownership, I sold the last one a couple of weeks ago. I also sold my '06 John Cooper Works Mini. All this is in preparation for a move in a year or so to NoCal. Now the question is should I sell the Mini convertible and get an MGB?

I am old and no longer relish the complete restoration of a car. Done way to many and don't need to revisit that. That said, with all that behind me, it makes me very fussy. All too many MGBs are "upgraded" with features that I personally consider downgrades. MOSS is to blame for much of this. They send out catalogs in full color every couple of months to entice you to modify your car and make it easy to have a checkbook restoration. Perhaps it has something to do with the perceived value of MGBs......very few original cars and very little desire to restore them to original.

I have a history of modifying these cars so I'm not preaching from an ivory tower. But now I want something close to original. A properly done 5 speed would be OK but the car must appear to be as original.

I love RB cars but they are not California friendly. Don't know what to do.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Personally, I bought a '66 Coupe DeVille. Years ago, I had a '74 Coupe DeVille for the frequent trips from Eugene down to Garberville. They corner pretty well.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Seek, and the car will find you.
I bought my 1974 MGB for $1,250. The car was on offer up. It had not been run for about 5 years.
The owner has MS and wanted the car to go to an enthusiast and not a flipper.
I did a fuel pump and tank flush and had to reset the point gap to make it run.
Right now there is someone getting to old for the hobby and having to sell.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717248 by chris Personally, I bought a '66 Coupe DeVille. Years ago, I had a '74 Coupe DeVille for the frequent trips from Eugene down to Garberville. They corner pretty well.

grinning smiley

A '75.4 or '75 should be fine in CA, Lloyd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
balloonfoot Avatar
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717255 by V8MGBV8

The only way I would own a RB car is if it was properly lowered. The involves that lack of ambition thing again...............

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
They're out there.....you'll find one....

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Maybe MGB burnout?

Take one for a drive to refresh your memory, you may not enjoy as much as the mind thinks. winking smiley

Perhaps a vintage MG saloon or other characterful BMC saloon offering?

B

Check your ego Amigo!

rustynut17 Jerry O
Almont, Mich, USA   USA
Sounds like you need to spend an afternoon walking thru a couple british car shows to help you get in the mood ?

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, OK, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Perhaps you can buy back the one you sold?

In reply to # 3717271 by balloonfoot
In reply to # 3717255 by V8MGBV8

The only way I would own a RB car is if it was properly lowered. The involves that lack of ambition thing again...............

;-\

TANSTAAFL !

the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
I'm guessing there would be a lot less mgbs on the road if it weren't for companies like Moss.

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717295 by riley1489 Maybe MGB burnout?

Take one for a drive to refresh your memory, you may not enjoy as much as the mind thinks. winking smiley

Perhaps a vintage MG saloon or other characterful BMC saloon offering?

B

Good idea! Those Magnettes are quite the draw, even the 4x4 unit Kelvin is building!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
Lloyd is there a car that trips your trigger to want to own? My B still does that for me. The new Mustang with a turbo 4 from the factory and the right options intrigued me. They have over 305 hp. It’s just that the B intrigues me more.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

balloonfoot Avatar
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717338 by the omega man I'm guessing there would be a lot less mgbs on the road if it weren't for companies like Moss.

you are absolutely right......if only they didn't sell so many "upgrades".

balloonfoot Avatar
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717317 by rocannon Perhaps you can buy back the one you sold?

I would in a heart beat.....except it's a '77 and wouldn't fly in the Peoples Republic of California.

Richochet Rick Avatar
Saginaw, MN, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB "Sweetheart" ~ For Sale ! ~
Have a very nice 76 B for sale. Contact me if your interested.
Rick
rwj48@hotmail.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster