AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1973 MGB Leather Seat Covers
  This topic is about my 1973 MG MGB
3bhlives Patrick Mastromatteo
Edmonton, AB, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB
Well, my son and I almost have our car stripped for the body shop and we're starting to see what we need for the restoration. Based on the condition of the seats, we'll be purchasing new covers, foam, webbing, etc. Researched a lot, because that is what I do, and have found some pretty good deals on the foam, webbing, etc. from the UK. However, have had only minimal success on the leather cover itself. Gone through the old forums and heard the debate about vinyl vs. leatherette vs. leather and have decided that I want leather. I have also looked at all the seat styles (early vs. late models) and have decided that I like the original weave style (picture attached from Lseat.com). This is where I have some trouble. Midland Sports & Classics has the style in vinyl, but changes the style in the leather. I have found one website out of the States that sells what we're looking for, but the minimal reviews have not been the best. So my questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone bought from Lseat.com? If so, how was your experience and the quality of the seat cover? And, can you post some pics?
2. Does anyone know of a place that makes leather seat covers in the weave style?

Cheers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
309a__70288_1498833405_1280_1280.jpg    45 KB
309a__70288_1498833405_1280_1280.jpg

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Have never heard of Lseats.com, to tell you the truth. Most folks stay with the known suppliers like Moss, VB, or Prestige in the UK. Of course, most of us are looking for the OE look. As you are looking for something that is not OE, you might contact an auto upholster in your area for a custom look.

Just to toss out some other ideas, others have put in seats from other cars. Fiero and Mazda Mitra come to mind, but you have to know the seat size so the seats fit. With those seats, you have a different selection of seat covers to choose from.

Probie Avatar
Probie Gold Member Dwight Magee
Fenelon Falls, ON, Canada   CAN
1970 MG MGB MkIII "THE BABY"
If you do proceed with Lseat please keep us informed.

Dwight

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1973 MG MGB
Thanks for the info Larry. FYI, the weave seat style is OE for 1973 on, and the price at Lseat.com is great for leather. Maybe even too good to be true or good enough quality; hence, my post. Moss, VB, etc. out of USA are great, but the USD/CAD exchange rate just kills us Canadians.

Dwight, I'll definitely keep you all posted. However, unless I hear some good news about Lseat.com, it will most likely be a no.

Midland Sports out of the UK has the weave style, but only in vinyl (see photo). Their alternative leather seat for the same year is much different (see photo). I'll most likely be purchasing the seat foam, webbing, etc. from them; just not sure about the cover. Vinyl gets me the style, but not in leather. Leather gets me the material, but not the style. 1st world problems...eh!

Cheers,

Patrick

Attachments:
msc_73-76_vinyl.jpg    22.8 KB
msc_73-76_vinyl.jpg

msc_73-80_leather.jpg    20.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sibhatty Avatar
sibhatty Salman Bhatty
Coppell, TX, USA   USA
Hi, I did buy seat covers from lseat, they a little hard but they dont look bad. They were shipped from Houston.

1973 MG MGB
Hi Salman,

Thanks for the info. How was your experience with them? Can you post a picture or two?

Cheers,

Patrick

wolflt52 Avatar
wolflt52 Leslie Turner
San Marcos, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Our Fancy Car"
I too am interested in new seat covers for my '73 MGB. I have priced the covers at Moss Motors, they are currently on sale at $499.99 for vinyl. It appears the regular price at Lseat.com is $299.00 for leather. They will also send a sample of the leather. Thank you for sharing this. Let us know about the quality if you do purchase.

For what it is worth, I just checked their Facebook page. The posted reviews are NOT favorable. https://www.facebook.com/Lseatcom-1430684910526097/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 11:11 PM by wolflt52.

Fairfield, CA, USA   USA
First, have you ever HAD leather covered seats?

if not: They are damn cold when it is cold, and sweaty hot when it's not cold.

If yes, then have at it. I'm not going to be riding in your car anyway<G>

IMHO fabric is the most comfortable in all seasons, and need not look like a "universal fit" $39 seat cover.

1973 Pale Primrose Roadster. A nice 10-footer!
SUs, Datsun 5-speed

sibhatty Avatar
sibhatty Salman Bhatty
Coppell, TX, USA   USA
Attaching the photos for closer look Patrick. I got the covers from lseats in three weeks. They responded to me usually in a day when I had a question. Headrests were included in the price.The back cover did not have a hole for headrest. Just a note on headrest, after you put on the headrest covers, you will have to use hog rings, etc. to close the opening.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 05:53 PM by sibhatty.

Attachments:
20180416_193216.jpg    47.9 KB
20180416_193216.jpg

20180417_174556.jpg    46.7 KB
20180417_174610.jpg    27.7 KB
1973 MG MGB
Hi Salman,

Thank you very much for the pictures. Your seats look very nice. Happy to see them in black, since that’s the color I’m planning on purchasing. Bottom line, would you highly recommend them to others, cautiously recommend them to others, or not recommend them to others?

Thanks again and cheers,

Patrick

sibhatty Avatar
sibhatty Salman Bhatty
Coppell, TX, USA   USA
Hi Patrick,
You can see the texture from the close up pic. The leather is a little on the harder side. I am not sure what it would be in couple of years. For the price I am fine with it, since the vinyl on ebay that I liked was around 280 and leather anywhere was a lot more. If the guy is giving material sample, you can get that if you want to be sure. Fitting wise it is fine.

Salman

1973 MG MGB
Thanks Salman, very appreciated.

For those in the US, Lseat.com provides free samples. For us in Canada, we have to pay $10 shipping...I hate paying for a sample.

Here's some of my research for leather seats:

Moss $790 on sale
Lseat.com $300
Mirror Trim $630
Midland Sports $490 (may not include headrest)
Prestige $1,170 looks beautiful
UKMGParts $820

Most Vinyl sets are around $320 and may or may not include the headrest.

Cheers,

Patrick

wolflt52 Avatar
wolflt52 Leslie Turner
San Marcos, TX, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB MkIII "Our Fancy Car"
One thing that concerns me, on the Lseat.com site the seats covers are $299.00. The site says “On sale, 50% off”. Does this meen the regular price is $598.00? If so, how long are they on sale?

Mister Mitch Mitch Roe
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
I used L seat for my '70 xke and would do it again....the one seat and back was perfect the other side the corner seat was not done exactly correct but my wife and I where able to do a work around. This has been several years ago. Bottom line I would and will do it again...you can deal with it...or spend lots more.

I am trying to find biscuit seat covers for my '72 B and a convertible top

Mitch 970 779 0456

sibhatty Avatar
sibhatty Salman Bhatty
Coppell, TX, USA   USA
Hi Leslie, I bought these covers for 322 shipped six months ago.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster