AutoShrine Sponsor

rear deck
  This topic is about my 1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
So some of you know I've flat floored the rear deck with aluminium. Now I need to think about what I might do with the underside - the aluminium sheet's a bit scratched. The pic below (pinched of Rick) is the OEM but if you've gone away from stock what did you do? GI doesn't seem to have any rear deck underside pics.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
rear deck.jpg    41.3 KB
rear deck.jpg

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Barrie,

Did "flat flooring" the deck permanently eliminate the storage compartment can the aluminum panel be opened and closed like the wooden one? Might sound like a stupid question but "flat flooring" sounds permanent...

If the answer is no, then how about gluing some thin high grade closed cell foam to the bottom of it instead of the original sound deadening material? I think it would look nice and serve the purpose...

Will the aluminum panel be visible or covered with carpet on top?

Sorry about all the questions... I am just curious as hell!!

MGB567 Avatar
Paul: I removed all signs of a rear seat including the catch tabs welded to the inner wheel arch. I've run an aluminium "U" section across the top of the heel board 100mm high which is the same height as the rail across the rear between the wheel arches. I also ran a similar piece of aluminium front to back leaving a box where the battery cover is and one on the other side - so two storage areas although I'm contemplating installing my radio and speakers there. I will cut a piece of 3mm flat aluminium as a cover for those boxes and secure them with dzus. I've also cut a flat piece using the rear deck as a template and it'll be secured at the rear using the OEM dzus. Where the two (actually 3) flat panels intersect (on the rail between the arches) I'll join them with boat hinges - so all 3 compartments open. I'll carpet the whole deck and hold it down with trim rails ala LE50. But when I dislocate the rear dzus and pull on my new MG handle and my Chris Sampson struts lift the rear deck I need something on the underside - maybe I'll just paint it body colour. My boot floor is covered in dynamat but I'll probably carpet it too. As I'll be running 15 x 7 rims there's not enough height for a spare. I'm also adapting the C pillar extension panels to be removable so I can access the tail lights should I ever have to without too much effort. I'll post pics eventually when I'm closer to finishing.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MCCT Avatar
MCCT Charles Tisdall
New Zealand, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
1967 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB GT
Barrie we do need pics you know..lol
Charles

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
How about a WWII decal such as they had on the bombers.........reimaged for MG of course.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Attachments:
bomber pic.jpg    49.8 KB
bomber pic.jpg

mgchic.jpg    53.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Alpha-1 Avatar
Alpha-1 Silver Member Len Geiger
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Blaze"
1995 GMC Yukon "Bonnie Blue"
I just now noticed...

Did you realize there’s a car in that 2nd photo?

In reply to # 3717579 by melbaver How about a WWII decal such as they had on the bombers.........reimaged for MG of course.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Barrie,

That sounds quite unique! I hope we will see some pics as you progress... I have to admit, one of the things I like about a GT is the options to convert the space behind the seats into whatever you may desire. The roadster is more limited since you only have a boot.... The GT was painted successfully yesterday. I will post some better pics later in the week after I bring it back from the booth. The fluorescent lights make the color look terrible...

Len & Chris,

Ah yes..... Nothing like a fish mouth girl (NO, not "grill", GIRL) to brighten your day!

Can you find the AK-47 in the attached picture? Look VERY hard and it will appear....

Attachments:
AK-47.jpg    30.8 KB
AK-47.jpg

P1010523.JPG    42.7 KB
MGB567 Avatar
a couple of pics. And yes the useless rear seat offers up all sorts of options - once deleted.

Attachments:
P1010604.JPG    42.9 KB
P1010604.JPG

P1010605.JPG    42.8 KB
melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Any reason you're using real Dynamat this time?

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
It was there when I bought the car from Keith. IDK if he's responsible or someone before him.

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
if it's a Rockin' don't bother Knockin'

In reply to # 3717701 by MGB567 a couple of pics. And yes the useless rear seat offers up all sorts of options - once deleted.

Attachments:
Shaggin Wagon (3).jpg    46.5 KB
Shaggin Wagon (3).jpg

Holden Panel Van - 1977 (2).jpg    59.7 KB
MGB567 Avatar
another shot IYI

Attachments:
P1010608.JPG    43.5 KB
P1010608.JPG

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Looks nice Barrie!

Three dumb questions if I may...

Battery?

Spare Tire?

Or will these covers open? It looks permanent.

OzDave Avatar
OzDave Silver Member Dave Barton
London, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3717603 by Alpha-1 I just now noticed...

Did you realize there’s a car in that 2nd photo?

In reply to # 3717579 by melbaver How about a WWII decal such as they had on the bombers.........reimaged for MG of course.

Car? Blonde? Decal? All I saw was a bonnet finisher. grinning smiley

Your car is brilliant Barry. On ya!

MGB567 Avatar
All compartments will open eventually. I was contemplating putting the battery on the unused heater shelf in the engine bay but I think I'll leave it as is behind me. Spare story in #3. FWIW that's a A$180 worth of aluminium in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 07:18 AM by MGB567.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG Midget 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links