MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

I want to build a mgb race car thoughts?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Straight4 Avatar
Straight4 Michael V
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
The idea of a full restoration doesn't really shine to me anymore and I am now thinking about building semi race car , roll cage and all what do you guys think should I go for it and what kind of things should I upgrade first. I am planning on not having an interior and turbocharging it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGST Avatar
MGST Andrew Metford
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
If you're going to do that, please don't start cutting up your '65. Get a later model 1970+ ( any with a 4 synch gearbox ) "one of millions" to do that too, and keep the '65 "one of few" to be original. Worth a lot more original and uncut / butchered too.

1973 MG BGT - Harvest Gold / Black interior

1974 MG BGT - Bracken / Autumn Leaf interior - http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,11702

Steve64B Avatar
Steve64B Steve Opitz
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Michael... the first question to answer is what rules are you going to race under? The answer will determine what modifications you can make.

BTW: others will chime in, but it's always less expensive to buy an existing race car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
Andrew's clearly read earlier topics to know you have a '65 as it doesn't show in your topic title nor your signature but if that's the case I agree with his sentiments but without knowing anything about your car.

There's a few racers here such as Hap/Basil but you have two dedicated fora to ask either MG Motorsports or (to a lesser extent) MG Performance. That said you can see the sort of thing I did via my signature block. My restoration started out as a tarmac racer but I spent so much on it I thought hmm skill level might not be commensurate with cost so now it's just a fun car. If your serious you could do worse than reading Peter Burgess' book "How to power tune MGB"

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
You likely wont have a class you can race in MGB like scca or Sovren.
In autocross even with a turbo you will be hopelessly outclassed by more modern cars.
If you want to race its cheaper tp buy a race MGB that someone else has spent 30 o4 40 grand or more on for $10-15 grand.
A few years ago this example was for sale for even less BAT got it sold for more
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-mg-mgb-4/
Nice car belonged to a fellow local MG owner

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Attachments:
53814-e1510081844826-940x676.jpg    58 KB
53814-e1510081844826-940x676.jpg

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
There's way more than a few current and former MBG race car owners and builders on this forum.

In reply to # 3717020 by MGB567 Andrew's clearly read earlier topics to know you have a '65 as it doesn't show in your topic title nor your signature but if that's the case I agree with his sentiments but without knowing anything about your car.

There's a few racers here such as Hap/Basil but you have two dedicated fora to ask either MG Motorsports or (to a lesser extent) MG Performance. That said you can see the sort of thing I did via my signature block. My restoration started out as a tarmac racer but I spent so much on it I thought hmm skill level might not be commensurate with cost so now it's just a fun car. If your serious you could do worse than reading Peter Burgess' book "How to power tune MGB"

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
"There's way more than a few current and former MBG race car owners and builders on this forum."

No doubt you are right; I was just too lazy to seek them all out. OP can do that if so inclined. Naming Hap/Basil wasn't exhaustive. "Such as" is equivalent to EG.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

fast-MG.com Avatar
fast-MG.com Gold Member Dave Headley
Cortez, 4 corners, Colorado, USA   USA
Go to the www.FAST-MG.com web site for thoughts and ideas to get you started. Especially read the "Grip Tech" article.

Member Services:
Dave Headley, dba FAB-TEK offers full service race car parts and preperation for MGB & MGA race cars, SCCA and Vintage. Dave is a mechanical engineer and has raced MGBs since 1963.
Wrencher Hans Abplanalp
Davis, CA, USA   USA
Buy one that's already a race car, way too much work and $$$ to start from scratch, trust me. Doesn't have to be perfect, but most of the heavy lifting is already done.

Hans

The Larry Shinoda Collection: 1965 Corvair Monza 140, 1969 L-68 427 Corvette roadster (for sale), 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang. new addition 1965 MGB roadster!

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Wanna build a race car or a hot-rod? big difference.

Race cars are out there to be bought for much less than you can build. Hot Rods are a personal expression and money is not the object anyways.

Pete

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3717011 by Straight4 The idea of a full restoration doesn't really shine to me anymore and I am now thinking about building semi race car , roll cage and all what do you guys think should I go for it and what kind of things should I upgrade first. I am planning on not having an interior and turbocharging it.

Attachments:
Martin Hall MGB V8 Race Car.jpg    64.4 KB
Martin Hall MGB V8 Race Car.jpg

MGB J&S GTB Hardtop (14).jpg    61.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1963_MG_MGB_Racecar_Blue_White_gavin_vincent_003.jpg    67.4 KB
Bob2274 Bob L
VA, USA   USA
A few quick comments, some of which others have noted:
• Are you going to build a "race" car to actually race or a high performance street car?
• If it's going to be a true race car, you need to prepare the car in accordance with rules from whatever racing organization(s) you will be racing with.
• I know of no racing organization that allows turbocharging on MGBs.
• Building a competitive MGB race car from scratch is an expensive proposition and, as others have noted, already prepared MGB race cars can be purchased for far less than building one.
• Do you have or do know where you will obtain your competition license?
• Do not overlook the costs associated with a race car in addition to the cost of the car – trailer, adequate tow vehicle, race gear, etc. Also, I figure the cost of each race weekend is about $1,000 (entry fees, race gas, tow gas, lodging, meals, etc.) and that's assuming nothing breaks.
• All said, it's great fun.

Bob

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
Some of the same questions have already been ask that I would ask you. You said 'semi race car". I guessing that means something you could race but still drive on street. Not to say other have not done that, but to do both, you'll more than likely end up[ with a car that does neither real well. My MGB race car, like most is in no way street-able, the cam alone would never let it have anything resembling a idle, the clearance needed to run out there all day at 7000 rpm, won't net hot hot pressure at lower rpms, that why we all rev our engines when coming off track, we are trying to get back to our paddock space and keep the oil pressure thru rpm as we do it. Now if you choose race car, and that really the only plan for the car, you'll a dedicated tow vehicle and trailer to get it all there, so ante is upped. I got back into racing by trading my really trick 67 GT street car for my MGB race car, it wasn't an easy decision, the street car would "eat" very little compared to the race car, but as long time racer, looking back now, for me, I made the right decision. While I loved my GT, I'm not really into the car show scene, group mountain rides were fun, nut very few wanted to drive at the pace I did, so when I ask my car club member if they wanted to go for a mountain ride, more declined, than accepted smiling smiley I have raced these car for over 30 years now, and it is who I am in this hobby, and vintage racing, which was new to me with this car has been a great experience, kind of like going back in time, lots of my own kind to race with, good talent at the front of the pack, I won my fair share of races since racing vintage, and had great time, no regrets whatsoever. Vintage road racing is a lot like the SCCA prod racing I first got into the 80s, very high level of good sportsmanship, meaning good, hard, clean racing,and very friendly, helpful people to race with. So for me, vintage racing is really the only choice to race a MGB, even thought with some minor changes I think my MGB would make a great limited prep H Production car, and I think I could do well, but the club is alot more cut-throat than it was when I started racing in it back in the 80's, not so sure I want to beat fenders with Hondas to do SCCA again,and to do ti right would be a easy $15K- 20K, while right now the car is a very capable vintage race winner.

I will echo what everyone else has said, if you want to do this right, you just go buy a car for 30 cents on the dollar, my car is a good example, Fred spent a ton of money on it before I got it, then add what I've spent on it, and the number is aprox. $75K, and if I wanted to sell it today I would be lucky to get $20K for it. Lots of good car vintage race cars sell for $12K-15K, that you would not be able to build for twice that. More time that few you'll hear a guy say "but I want to build my self" but one has to remember development on race car never really end, so trust you would have plenty to do the car to make your own. Even thought my race car was turn key when I got ,and good enough for me to win my class in my first vintage race with it, I have have changed, and developed a ton since I got it, and will continue to do so, so it's not like I have any builder's remorse. Then there is the thing about actually building the race car, unless you have been engulfed in this sport , TBH, you won't have a clue what to do. I have seen so many beginners over the years have to rebuy, and re-do things once they got the car to the track because they really did not understand the task at hand. People that begin this journey by building their own will struggle longer to be successful, and sometime success is defined by winning, or just bea bl to get thru the weekend.

So what has all this done to make you want to go racing, probably scare the hell out of you smiling smiley However what I will tell you is racing a MGB is way more fun than sitting in show field with one all day long, it is also way more humbling, so HP BS stories will save when the green flag drops, so when you do well it is well deserved,and will mean more to you than show trophy you ever get. The people you race with are incredible, I alway tell folks the cars bring us to this sport, but it is the people that keep us coming back. It's more than a hobby, it is a way of life,and a path I have never regretted taking.

If you are serious about this, come on down to the motorsports forum and you will find a group of guys with a combined decades of experience racing these cars, who will gladly share with you a ton of information. Here's good start to seeing what the ins and out of what a race looks like, you will quickly see, it has very little in common with a street car. http://www.britishracecar.com/ , then come here an hang out with us who race these cars https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/list.php?41

I also post some pics of my MGB car race car here,and video too. (on the video, skip up about 5 minutes in for the start of the race)

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 08:38 AM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others

Attachments:
HS1.625-5.jpg    68.1 KB
HS1.625-5.jpg

biscuit92215-1.jpg    46 KB
biscuitrrr2015.jpg    33.9 KB
rr2015-12.jpg    38.2 KB
hap@WHR.jpg    32.5 KB
Pictures 372.jpg    46.5 KB
Pictures 676.jpg    59.7 KB
Pictures 730.jpg    37.7 KB
DSCN2128.JPG    57.3 KB
DSCN3666.JPG    45.9 KB
DSCN3971.JPG    61.8 KB
Biscuitafterthebattle.jpg    52.4 KB
Rick Fawthrop Avatar
Rick Fawthrop Gold Member Richard Fawthrop
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Now your talking. Google how to autocross.
Then figure out the parts list.
The beauty of this is that bodywork and paint standards are much lower than restored cars. And stickers are cheap.
Your car is already factory racecar red and you have the hard top.
Google the Targett Motorsports MGB and check out the small details.
You will save hundreds of hours if you skip the fender flares. They were not on the factory cars anyway.
Listen to Dave Headley.

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
If you are interested in racing, volunteer to crew for a racing team somewhere. It is the cheapest and best way to actually learn what the commitment is. Even if you go no further than working crew, you will probably find it a very fun and meaningful experience. And if you take the next step, you will really know what you are getting into—as well as having established a network of racing friends who could be very valuable and supportive of your endeavor.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster