Fuel in my trunk

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Big man in a little car Avatar
Social Circle, GA, USA   USA
I am a new MGB owner. I have a 77mgb and I filled it up with gas for the first time today and I smelled gas. I opened the trunk to see gas spewing out of a little over flow tube into the trunk. after some research this is supposed to go to a charcoal filter thing under the hood. (its not there) can I drill a hole in the trunk and put a piece of rubber fuel line on it to make it over flow outside of the car?
thanks for all the help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gevay Avatar
Circle Pines, MN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Look up high into the right side of the fender and see you have a round metal canister, 8" diameter and 2" thick with two fuel lines going into and out of it first. It's job is to collect raw fumes and fuel that expands on hot days, then it's routed to the charcoal canister up front. It's a good system to have hooked up it it's not there. Venting raw fuel on the ground is really not a good idea.

Early 1974 MGB with OD, SU HIF's, 72 spoke chrome WW's, Schlemmer distributor, DuBois fuel pump, Limey's relays, Gerry's column kit.

J Baz Avatar
J Baz Silver Member Jerard Basmagy
Middletown, NJ, USA   USA
That's the fuel tank vent Its supposed to be plumbed into the canister I wouldn't just hook up a fuel hose to it. There should be some plumbing in there that will hook it up correctly..
I would replace the system back to stock since it doesn't effect performance and it's way safer than just venting to atmosphere.

jb

Too soon we get old, too late we get smart!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 07:36 PM by J Baz.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andrew73B Avatar
Andrew73B Gold Member Andrew Milne
St.-Lazare, QC, Canada   CAN
1973 MG MGB "Barbie Car"
Welcome to the forum Craig,,, in short,, no! I'm not familiar with the 77 set up, others with more experience will chime in and advise as to the correct way to solve (fix) your issue. Having the overflow spill outside will only lead to a more catastrophic outcome.
You will find many experienced, helpfull people here,, you will have your issue resolved sooner than you think:mg

I do not see the the device you are talking about. However i do see the line that goes to charcoal canister. Can i hook strait to that with out the other thing?

jjonns74 Avatar
jjonns74 Gold Member John Dailey
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Athena"
1974 MG MGB "Apollo"
In reply to # 3716895 by Big man in a little car I do not see the the device you are talking about. However i do see the line that goes to charcoal canister. Can i hook strait to that with out the other thing?

Not your best idea today.

see:

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/techtips/general/553.html
(item #18)

https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2698732
(especially Post #3 pics)

Not difficult to Do It Right

I have attached 3 pics you can see the two studs i bet that is where the 8 to 9 inch thing goes. I did see the canister. in the front of the car Can i hook the fuel line directly to the line going to the canister?

Attachments:
20180414_205736.jpg    37 KB
20180414_205736.jpg

20180414_205732.jpg    57.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180414_205850.jpg    36.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
I wouldn’t run that line directly to the charcoal at the front.

Get the evaporator and hook it into the trunk correctly. Post that you need one in the buy/sell and someone here will have one for sure.

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
I'd bet that you can find a used fuel separator tank either on the buy, sell, trade forum here or on eBay.

Here is what it looks like installed in the trunk on a '79. I'd bet the installation on the '77 is the same, but can't guarantee it.

Attachments:
20180414_182548.jpg    26.5 KB
20180414_182548.jpg

Old Salt Gold Member David Yager
Bushnell, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Welcome Craig.
I too own a 77B and have attached a pics of the vapor canister that is mounted in my trunk. The bottom hose connection goes to the fuel tank vent and the one on the top right goes to the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. I don't think hooking the vent pipe directly to the charcoal canister is advisable as it might allow the drawing of fuel into the canister which could contaminate the charcoal in the canister. I don't think Moss or Victoria British sells them but I'll bet you could find one if you posted a Wanted to Buy in the Buy, Sell & Trade Forum. There are a lot of good people on here that are very willing to help with any problems or advise you may need

Attachments:
IMG_20180414_210031_605.jpg    24.2 KB
IMG_20180414_210031_605.jpg

Thanks guys i will try the buy sell and pick up the vapor canister. can you send a pic of where the charcoal canister lines go?
thanks

Jim Gevay Avatar
Circle Pines, MN, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
This photo should help.

The line from the elbow behind the fuel filler neck goes to the bottom of the canister, that's where the expanded raw fuel and fumes gets pushed up into it. This canister is nothing more than an empty metal expansion tank.
The line from the top of the canister goes to the fitting in the boot floor and runs in a hard line all the way to the engine compartment to the charcoal canister.
Your routing is a little different than mine because mine is an early '74.

Early 1974 MGB with OD, SU HIF's, 72 spoke chrome WW's, Schlemmer distributor, DuBois fuel pump, Limey's relays, Gerry's column kit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 05:25 AM by Jim Gevay.

Attachments:
P7253911 (1024x766).jpg    63.4 KB
P7253911 (1024x766).jpg

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
I put in a new metal line (paid mechanic) from Evap in boot to front cannisters. At a slight dip (below car) it had rusted and blocked passage.

Make sure you can blow compressed air thru to ensure yours isn't rusted. You can't just by putting lips on.

I'd also replace all hoses in boot; since you have no cannisters (2 stock), you'll have new hoses in engine bay too.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
The vent line between the boot canister and the charcoal canister should be clear enough to blow thru by mouth. Keep in mind that the breathing function for the fuel tank is not under pressure.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Craig,

I strongly advise you to read about, learn and understand what the evaporative loss system is and how it functions. This is a completely passive system and should be put right.

Having unmanaged or poorly routed fuel fumes is outright dangerous.

Be safe

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster