Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TD10971 Avatar
TD10971 Nelson K
long island, NY, USA   USA
oh... what a beautiful morning............. not....

2 miles from home>>> snap..... the throttle cable

made it home at idle in 2nd gear.......

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
000_0084.JPG    50 KB
000_0084.JPG

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
At least be thankful that our little engines have enough low end torque to get you rolling in idle, in second gear, no less!

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Time to upgrade to a supercharger kit. It even comes with a new throttle cable! RAY

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
I had a throttle cable break as I left work one day. I ended up calling a tow truck which made me feel like an idiot. I mean, I couldn't even fix a broken throttle cable? So I bought a spare cable and put it in the trunk just in case it happened again.

I've been told there are temporary repairs that might have gotten me home okay. One is turning up the idle screw really high -- to maybe 3K rpm. The engine would sound like it was about to blow up at red lights, but since most of my drive home is on the freeway, supposedly I would have been fine nearly all the way home.

Also pulling out the choke revs the engine higher, so maybe that would have helped a little. I did try to wedge something under the throttle linkage to keep the revs up after I got the engine started, but that seemed unsafe to me, and I couldn't get the engine started. It was a cold day, and I needed another person to start the car while I pulled back on the throttle linkage until it warmed up enough. There must be other temporary fixes that would allow a car with a broken throttle cable to operate for a short distance. Besides carrying a replacement cable. Carry a replacement cable.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
disconnect the choke cable and connect it to the throttle linkage ...and use it as a hand throttle

dohc281 Avatar
dohc281 Gold Member Ira Eckstein
Laurel Springs, NJ, USA   USA
I love it when people have the ability to adapt and to overcome a problem. Lots of good ideas.

If you hit your pony over the nose at the outset of your acquaintance, he may not love you, but he will take a deep interest in your movements ever afterwards.

Rudyard Kipling

Sodking Avatar
Sodking Erik Sweetser
Dover, NH, USA   USA
I picked up a bicycle brake cable and a spare when mine broke...

Mike 69 MGB GT Michael Salzman
Malvern, AR, USA   USA
I broke the throttle cable on the twin SU's on my 69 GT. I rolled tape around the carb shaft under the
stop level until the engine was doing 3000 rpm from the thickness of the tape. Tape thickness was about
1/2 inch. Drove the last 5 miles home in 3rd gear at 45 to 50 mph. I always have electrical tape with me.

Stupidity will win in the end. The supply is endless.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I was pulling onto the main road by my house on my way to work... the cable popped and I idled it to a parking lot 2 houses down and thought crap... figured the choke would at least get it away from where I was. Made it home, grabbed keys to the truck and went to work. Wasn’t even late. I had a spare cable, but I had never changed it so I didn’t know what it would take. The spare is still in the car, the new one is in the boot. Kyle.

Jwpotts Avatar
Jwpotts James Potts
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Using the choke cable connected to throttle, pretty neat idea. Need to go look at that configuration. I didn’t even know how to spell “dangnabbit” or even use such mild language if it happened to me.

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
Were the cable stops adjusted properly so as not to stress the cable at WOT? If not, the cable could break eventually.... You could say I've learned quite a bit about rigging braided cables in aviation over the last 38 years. Fly-by-wire is now taking all the fun away though...

No offense meant. Just sayin'

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3717608 by Jwpotts I didn’t even know how to spell “dangnabbit” or even use such mild language if it happened to me.

Adopts schoolmasterly pose!!!

Neither does the OP. It's actually DAGnabbit. Like its equivalent quasi-euphemisms dog and dod, dag is used in a variety of mild oaths as a substitute for God. Typical examples include dag on, dag gone, dag-gum, dag nab and dagnabbit. All may be seen as replacements for Goddam or Godam(m)it.

Here endeth the spelling lesson.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Jwpotts Avatar
Jwpotts James Potts
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB
Gosh, you Aussie dudes sure know your English. Here in Kentucky we’re still looking for our shoes. Cheers.

spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3718348 by melbaver
In reply to # 3717608 by Jwpotts I didn’t even know how to spell “dangnabbit” or even use such mild language if it happened to me.

Adopts schoolmasterly pose!!!

Neither does the OP. It's actually DAGnabbit. Like its equivalent quasi-euphemisms dog and dod, dag is used in a variety of mild oaths as a substitute for God. Typical examples include dag on, dag gone, dag-gum, dag nab and dagnabbit. All may be seen as replacements for Goddam or Godam(m)it.

Here endeth the spelling lesson.

isn't that damnit?

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
In reply to # 3716705 by TD10971 oh... what a beautiful morning............. not....

2 miles from home>>> snap..... the throttle cable

made it home at idle in 2nd gear.......

as to your need of a throttle repair...
may I suggest a little assistance?

Throttle Cable Replaced with Bicycle Cable How To with Pix

Meet Vinny........

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster