MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Are MGB roadsters the best value out there?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
Following the earlier post today about the high prices fetched by Autin Healy roadsters, I thought about the values of MGB roadsters.

I think MGB roadsters occupy the sweetest spot in the classic sports car market. OK, so they don't have powerful engines and they don't have many modern features. But, what they do have is classic good looks and good handling for tons of top down fun! They are rare enough to be conversation starters, but, they are/were also common enough that you run the odds of actually meeting someone who knows about them enough to share a deeper appreciation for them. They are also common enough that there is a vibrant parts market for them, their aquisition cost is low, it's not impossible to find competent repair shops , and there is a great technical community such as this to share ideas with.

I think the MGB was and still is the best affordable sports roadster on the market. The only other convertibles (that I can think of off the top of my head) that might offer similar cache, value, repairability, and fun to our beloved MGBs are the Ford Mustangs of the 60s. Or, if you want a few more modern convenieces, I suppose I'd give a tip of my hat to Miatas (Mazda MX-5s for those outside the states) and to the Honda S2000. I don't know much about the S2000 with regards to maintaining them and the costs thereof, but, I suspect they are fun to drive with that little 250 HP motor.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
They are certainly popular, and still on the road. I have been to a number of car shows where there were more MGBs than any other classic car, including Detroit iron.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, IA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
I am actively looking for a GT and can attest that the roadsters are a better deal than their hardtop brethren. You find 20 convertibles for every GT and they price accordingly. "A solid MGB roadster is just about the best deal going in classic cars" is a true statement IMO. The only close competition value wise would be a Spitfire or Midget and those are much smaller cars. The later Alfa and FIAT roadsters are similarly priced but much more difficult to maintain and parts are far more expensive.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chris,

Thanks, I had forgotten about the Alfa and Fiat spiders. I do think the Alfa is great looking and a friend in LA had one years ago.

My dad actually bought a Fiat spider when I was about 9 or 10. I can't recall him ever driving it nor myself ever going for a ride in it, but, me and my friend Bob used to sit in it, push it back and forth from the driveway into the garage and pretend we were driving. We thought we were so cool! I'm guessing my dad just bought it and sold it for a little profit - he probably got a deal on it because he was an insurance claims adjuster at that time.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Porsche Boxsters are becoming affordable

Jack, good point! I looked into buying a Boxster S about 14 years ago. I had taken some laps at button willow as a passenger and with a young fellow driving who "worked as a driver in Hollywood". He was quite the driver and had all four of his Boxster S's tires just starting to slide in every turn. It was quite a bit of fun. Unfortunately, when I test drove one, I found that I couldn't fit in very well - with the seat moved back to a comfortable position, every time I accelerated, I hit the back of my head on the roll bar. So, I passed on the Boxster.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
I can't believe that that Healey went for over $143,000! Bone stock except for chrome wire wheels and fat tires. Oh, that rhymes. Three bidders went head to head and forced the price way above market value. They're fun to drive, but the ball and nut steering leaves a lot to be desired. My '67 B, with a supercharger, will take it on any day of the week. P.S. It was even a rear seat model that made driving it a PITA. RAY

Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, IA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
You have to watch the IMS bearing issue on the early 1998-2006 Boxsters. It is a known issue with the early water cooled Porsche flat 6 engines. When the bearing goes bad the engine is junk and they are relatively expensive to replace.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Chris, my neighbor has a Boxster and a BGT. Recently, Porsche replaced the IMS. Not cheap! I walked him through a water pump replacement. The impeller was starting to hit the internal surfaces of the block. RAY

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Move over....new kid in Classic Town. Called the NA Miata, and anything that the MGB can do, it can do better.

Having bought a new Miata in 1990 and it now being classified as a classic, makes me feel kind of old.

It seems weird when you put the two side by side and realize that there is only 9 years difference between the last MGB in 1980 and the first Miata in 1989.

Nice MGs and equally nice NA Miatas trade in about the same price range.

Pete

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
What are you going to do when the electrics start failing? Word is the replacement parts are failing on the shelf.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
In reply to # 3716774 by NOHOME Move over....new kid in Classic Town. Called the NA Miata, and anything that the MGB can do, it can do better.

Except look like a classic sports car, have interior room and comfort, and be infinitely repairable with a hundred bucks worth of hand tools.

Having bought a new Miata in 1990 and it now being classified as a classic, makes me feel kind of old.

Having driven a pre-release NA Miata at Shannonville in 1989 it makes me feel kind of old. I haven't driven one since. A soulless econobox with no back seat and the looks of a squashed pear comes to mind as my first and lasting impression..

It seems weird when you put the two side by side and realize that there is only 9 years difference between the last MGB in 1980 and the first Miata in 1989.

I'll give you that..cars went downhill quickly through the 80s and 90s..

Nice MGs and equally nice NA Miatas trade in about the same price range.

Maybe a late model, stock RBB in faded russet brown

Pete

Toyota Camrys are popular with some folks as well, usually in taupe or silver...

Cheers Pete....smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-14 06:10 PM by mgbanthony.

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Jensen Healy is a steal as is the TVR 280i. Early Vixens are skyrocketing and of course, we can't tough a Griffith.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716774 by NOHOME Move over....new kid in Classic Town. Called the NA Miata, and anything that the MGB can do, it can do better.

Except, fit me comfortably. Not even close to the same level of comfort.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3716730 by tampaguy Porsche Boxsters are becoming affordable

Not when you consider parts price andthe problems these were known for. Not a fan of transaxle cars and I come from a VW family. The only advantage I see wit a B is size, a/c and swap possibilities.

Spridget is most bang for buck as far as stock fun/performance goes. Spits feel cheaper to me.

My opinion doesn;t matter though as folks like/want whatever they do.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster