AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
When I win the lottery, I'll buy a lot more parts, set up a engine dyno and we can have real fun. smileys with beer For now, retired civil servant on half a pension.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fred Winterburn Avatar
Ripley, ON, Canada   CAN
It doesn't cost much to build a test rig. I'm still using the one my father knocked together in a real hurry back in 1961 or 62 with a 59 Ford distributor on it. I'm planning on building another also with an old Ford dizzy, because they are still quite common and the best test distributor for testing extremes will have at least 8 lobes on the cam. I'm going to add a few more instruments to it along with the variable spark gap. So far, I have sourced a Westinghouse ammeter that was actually used on a DEW Line station in northern Canada (manned by American servicemen) and a NOS Soviet DC voltmeter (ebay from Estonia). I thought it would be cool to have the opposing sides come together on this new test rig! I also plan to have a proper tachometer that will respond to all kinds of inputs, be they current sensing or voltage sensing. Anyway, it does not have to be expensive to work well as a test rig. One good thing about the old test rig is that the distributor shaft wobble has gotten quite bad. That actually allowed me to fine tune the circuit to cancel as much of that effect electronically to obtain a more stable output with points and a worn distributor. A new test rig couldn't have done that, nor could some emulator to provide triggering impulses or one using zener diodes instead of a real spark gap. Fred

In reply to # 3718313 by tvrgeek When I win the lottery, I'll buy a lot more parts, set up a engine dyno and we can have real fun. smileys with beer For now, retired civil servant on half a pension.

'Anyone who likes liver, can't taste it'
'If you want to repair car electrical systems successfully, learn Ohm's Law'.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster