MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Using "Restore." Mechanic said to check first. So I'm checking.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WELL: About 15 years ago, my little Toyota truck started using a little oil, (Other than what dripped out), so I used the "Restore", and "Reslone" at every oil change. Put a new Motor in the Toyota two years ago, the old "Original Motor" went 308,000 NOT BAD>
SO for the price of a Hamburger and a Soda. ???????? thumbs up

Member Services:
DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
When my compression began to fall on cylinder #3 (the one that typically fails first, I believe), I started adding one small can of Restore with every oil change at the suggestion of someone here or a mechanic -- I can't remember who. I went a few (2-3) years like that with no ill effects, and the car ran well. So I'd say it can't hurt and may help. I had the engine rebuilt recently which means I don't need to add anything special now. I did not do "before" and "after" compression tests, however, so no scientific evidence. But two British car mechanics I talked to said they thought it helped.

What I'd like to know, as with every additive, is what Restore actually is? I'm guessing it's just a heavier oil with maybe some chemistry added to it? Once you know that, you'll know something, anyway.

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 01:19 AM by DrewM.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
DREW: Well this goes back to the Mid 1950.s.when I was a Teenager. I hung around with some of my Buddies at an old Auto Wreaking place called "WENZELS AUTO WREAKING", up in Turlock. (I believe it is still there, at least it was 6 years ago) when I drove thru that area. They would kind of fix up old clunkers and sell them to Transient Farm Workers coming thru the area. Old Fords and Chevy, Buick, Plymouth's that smoked a little. They would Re-Seat the rings with "BONAMI", YES The stuff you clean your Kitchen Sink With. NOT COMET OR AJAX, BUT "BONAMI". It is (or Was) 100% FELSPAR, a light and great rubbing compound. They would PINCH off one end of a soda straw, put about an inch (1"winking smiley of BONAMI in the straw, turn the straw over and blow it into the cylinder OR cylinders that had low compression. They would put the plug back in but not the plug wire and start the engine. The compression would blow the BONAMI down the cylinder walls and help reseat the rings. Run the car for about 5 minutes Do an Oil Change and Filter, and good to go. May sound Stupid, but I know it works because I have done that on a few high mileage MGB's, that were showing low compression. All I know is it works. SO, if it is almost dead anyway, what could hurt. "OLD SCHOOL"smileys with beer

Member Services:
geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Bonami does work in the short term. Not so sure in the long term. An abrasive in the cylinder just does not settle with me. I did work with a guy who would use Bonami on any engine in which he used chrome rings. Said it would break in faster. I suspect it would.

I've had good luck with Restore. I had a Mazda 2600 pickup that went 300,000 miles before I sold it. It never burned any oil or leaked on the ground. Not sure if it was just a good engine or the Restore.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
Buy the RESTORE and go for it..
It will increase your compression after driving for about 200 miles.thumbs up IT WORKS!!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sidescrollin Avatar
sidescrollin Ian M
Tallahassee, USA   USA
I'm not sure about mechanics that recommend putting $8 magical oil in instead of telling you what they believe the problem to be. Are any valves over-tightened? Do the valves seal? Does the HG seal?

Seems like two guys did compression checks and sent you on your way without any real information to go on.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3714366 by ski.dive Buy the RESTORE and go for it. It will increase your compression after driving for about 200 miles.thumbs up IT WORKS!!!

Thank you! Done.

John R Avatar
John R John Rinella
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB ~ For Sale ! ~
1977 MG MGB
A friend used it on his high milage car worked for him lasted a couple of years on his work car. But a club member used it on his MG because it was burning oil and to get it thru till end of driving season. Still burned oil and fouled plugs didnt help.We pulled engine in the winter and found what we normally find broken rings or stuck oiling rings.The snake oil won't fix that. Try it cheap fix if it doesnt work its time to rebuild. Most of these cars been sitting too long and thats the major cause of breakdown.good luck its a gamble.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Lucas Oil Treatment...and I don't like snake oil.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714277 by barry s Unless you add saw dust, additives are not going to cause any problem.

That goes in the diff, NOT the engine! winking smiley

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
I used to own a fleet of taxis. Over 50. I used it on some high mileage V8 Crown Vic's with some improvements. I tried it on a worn 4 cylinder car with zero benefits. I also don't believe it will help or hurt your situation but I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Those nine ounces of Restore "Engine Restorer & Lubricant" have now spent a week, and just over 200 miles, in the crankcase. Was asked to do a follow up. Here it is:

Day One - car fired up and idled normally. Until I slipped it into gear and punched the accelerator. It immediately began sputtering. Under load, it seemed to be missing on at least one cylinder. Stopped, returned it to idle, engine smoothed out. Back into gear, foot on gas, sputtering resumed. Coughed and wheezed it around the block and back into the driveway.

Raised the hood/bonnet. Manually gunned the throttle. A little white smoke from the normally normal exhaust. Stir and repeat. Backed down into street, "missing" still present but not as bad. Another spin around the block. Some improvement. Another quick lap. More improvement. Engine smoothed out on lap 4 or so and ran normally throughout the rest of the day.

Day Two - Sputtering back. For about 10 seconds. Ran normally, but no noticible boost in performance. Yet. No white smoke.

Day Three - A sputter or two, then smoothed out. Sensed a bit more pep, but figured it was my imagination. Placebo effect? Put about 50 miles on the car.

Day Four - No sputtering this time. Doing 50 or so in fourth, gunned it to pass slower traffic and the B uncharacteristically kicked me in the back. Definitely not my imagination. Improvement became a bit more apparent as the week progressed.

Overall, there has been a modest boost in performance. Standing start acceleration is pretty much the same. But third and fourth are clearly more responsive. Sputtering issue has resolved itself. The stuff apparently did a number on the plugs, however. Conclusion: The initial engine sputter was a concern, but it hasn't returned. Probably got about $10 in benefit from my $8 investment. It's not the answer, and it's not a miracle cure, but I doubt it did any harm. No, haven't had time to do a compression test. Will do when car goes back to the shop next week.

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717804 by Chronic Iguana Those nine ounces of Restore "Engine Restorer & Lubricant" have now spent a week, and just over 200 miles, in the crankcase. Was asked to do a follow up. Here it is:

Overall, there has been a modest boost in performance. Standing start acceleration is pretty much the same. But third and fourth are clearly more responsive. Sputtering issue has resolved itself. The stuff apparently did a number on the plugs, however. Conclusion: The initial engine sputter was a concern, but it hasn't returned. Probably got about $10 in benefit from my $8 investment. It's not the answer, and it's not a miracle cure, but I doubt it did any harm. No, haven't had time to do a compression test. Will do when car goes back to the shop next week.

+++Keep driving it with the Restore in it, it will keep improving.
I have used it in many cars and trucks and it has worked for me

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster