Website undergoing maintenance, connection may be intermittent
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Using "Restore." Mechanic said to check first. So I'm checking.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Chronic Iguana Avatar
Port Charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Have been fortunate to work with a mechanic who has affordably brought the 77B to the point where we now have "good gas, good air, good spark" - everything but good compression. I've booked a rebuild with a highly recommended local machine shop (their work, particularly with vintage power plants, is museum quality) this summer. Until then, my mechanic suggested I give the motor a dose of "Restore" as a Band Aid of sorts. He said he's had some good, and some mixed, results with the stuff, but he cautioned he's never used it on a MG. "Probably okay, but check with the Internet folks," he suggested. And yes, the car (now) runs surprisingly well despite the lousy compression numbers.

So, "Internet folks," I'm checking. The product gets decent reviews. And, with a rebuild already on the horizon, I guess the only issue is what, if anything, to expect (like being stranded on the side of the road?) before I go out and blow $8.95. Insights?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Tried it once on an old Pinto. Fouled the plugs. It could have been way past done. I tried the experience stuff as mentioned in some threads here. Got maybe 5 Lbs out of it.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
What are the compression readings? Was the test also performed after addition of a bit of oil to each cylinder? Results?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nickj Avatar
nickj Gold Member Nick Jenkins
Novato, Marin Co, CA, USA   USA
1970 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB
I've used it. Everyone I talked to about it said it worked for them, but I didn't notice much difference.

RKM Avatar
RKM Richard Marcks
Palm Desert, CA, USA   USA
Snake oil.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3714139 by barry s What are the compression readings? Was the test also performed after addition of a bit of oil to each cylinder? Results?

Similar test results were independently obtained by two mechanics. The tests were done correctly. The results aren't in dispute.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714186 by RKM Snake oil.

thumbs up

barry s Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
In reply to # 3714237 by Chronic Iguana
In reply to # 3714139 by barry s What are the compression readings? Was the test also performed after addition of a bit of oil to each cylinder? Results?

Similar test results were independently obtained by two mechanics. The tests were done correctly. The results aren't in dispute.

Well Gary, if you want an opinion you need to provide more than a question.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Just buy some and pour it in. Then you can be a person with personal experience and you can post yohr results here. We would love to know.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
1977 MG MGB

One test "wet," the other "dry." Numbers (gulp) ranged between 45 and 70 on both. Sorry, didn't mean to be chippy. Just wanted to focus the discussion on the use of "Restore." The engine is going into the shop, with or without it.

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714106 by Chronic Iguana the car (now) runs surprisingly well despite the lousy compression numbers.

I think that you answered your own question.

There are no bad days at the beach.

Chronic Iguana Avatar
1977 MG MGB
In reply to # 3714252 by Aridgerunner Just buy some and pour it in. Then you can be a person with personal experience and you can post yohr results here. We would love to know.

Most probably what's gonna happen. Might not help, but it appears unlikely to hurt anything. Am also searching for that "Snake Oil" stuff. Appears to be popular.

Nicecar Avatar
Nicecar Gary (ex "Harv") G
Victoria, BC, Canada   CAN
1980 MG MGB "Red On Red On Red"
How much oil? I guess if I use a small syringe I can squirt it around the walls.

Does it matter what kind of oil; 20-50, 3 in 1?

After many years of a push-on checker, finally found an inexpensive screw-in I haven't used yet.

barry s Avatar
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Your compression numbers suggest that it is rings, not valves. That said, Restore or any other snake oil may provide slight improvement. AFAIK Restore is not nearly as viscous as something like 'motor honey' so taking up the gap between the rings and cylinder walls is less likely. Unless you add saw dust, additives are not going to cause any problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 11:22 AM by barry s.

the omega man Avatar
the omega man phil wilkins
staffordshire, Stafford, UK   GBR
Restore will give you a quieter running engine. Don't be tempted to add too much, or more than instructions say.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster