Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ernzo2 Avatar
ernzo2 Silver Member Ernie Stires
Denver, CO, USA   USA
..my mgb. Been here for months, thanks for the notes, st least she sometimes starts now, that’s an improvement...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ernie, the road to recovery (pun) starts with admitting that you need help.

There are no bad days at the beach.

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Ha! Thanks Stephan,
I’m starting (again) at the top. Test Coil, LT and HT, check voltage at coil....

Pull the top off thexwever (again) ensure the float and needle are functioning, check float height. Clean all jets, blow out all passsges, take off accelerator pump and clean, re-check power valve.

All I can do, this originally started by the additional 12v starting lead off the starter solenoid becoming loose and creating an intermittent connection. I fixed it by soldering it back in its post. Maybe that had failed again....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-09 11:06 AM by ernzo2.

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
And check functioning of the fuel pump. MG's won't run without fuel. Good luck! And don't hesitate to ask questions; the entire MG member group is here to help you!

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Soldering is somewhat of a lost art. If you have a cold solder joint you might be able to verify with a meter. What exactly is going on?

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Yes! Fuel pump turns on, pumps gas, gas line into the Weber is somewhat pressurized, maybe 1/2 lbs.

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Hard / no start, intermittent. Starts, runs great, smooth, not gassy, revs up well, idle a little off, the suddenly kills, dead. Sometimes will restart but mostly not.

I’m doing a full ground up test again coil, power to coil, spark color, plus look in the Weber again.

Cap is new, rotor is a clean red rotor, I will test.

Wachtmans Avatar
Wachtmans Wouter Strodijk
OVERVEEN, Noord Holland, Netherlands   NLD
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB "The Bee"
1974 MG MGB MkIII "The Bee"
Sound like your Webers are starving. If ignition fails intermittent I would expect bang...bang....bang! Webers are complicated gas factories, need the correct fuel pressure and shall be clean.

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Older original Lucas distributor did not test well, called pertronix, they said I could install my Flamethrower 12/v 3 ohm coil.

It tested as expected, HT 10.91 ohm, LT 3.3 ohm.

Tried to start it for kicks before I began, and she did fire, chugged for 5 seconds and quit...

Installed the Flamethrower , checked positive switch on at 12 volts which was surprising. Cranked it switch on with multi meter reading and it actually looked like it dropped to 11 volts...

But no start. Attached spark testing unit to the king lead, cranked, no light, maybe something faint but....

Tried a “12 volt hot wire” from the fuse box to the coil, cranked, nothing....

I’m having to assume the coil is good, and the distributor is not?

Yes to the Weber being clean, I’m diving in again in awhile to double check.

But until I can get this ignition figured out...

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
SUCCESS! Hopefully not temporary. Installed Flamethrower 3 ohm, checked every connection, cranked, no start...

Attachments:
3F025912-EBDD-4BC9-B72E-E743571A0D47.jpeg    2.7 KB
3F025912-EBDD-4BC9-B72E-E743571A0D47.jpeg

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Hmmm well I know my idle jets are too lean, 45 and 50, leaving too much adjustment. Was going to open her up again but ran out of daylight.

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
Yes, soldering is a lost art, I’m not %100 sure my joint is solid, but it does work, seems to provide the necessary auxiliary current on start up.

ernzo2 Avatar
Denver, CO, USA   USA
No new findings, have a NOS Drive Resistor on the way ($2.00 shipped!) mounted the 3 ohm coil, timing (btw) is set at 15 TDC 1200 rpms. Idle is high because any lower is very rough.

I do have the regular coil wiring attached at this point, btw.

Putting in the plugs today NGK PB6ES. I’ll gap them at 30.

Checked for a vacuum leak, will check again with an unlit torch.

I’ll follow up, thanks again MGBEXP for all your help, I spent much time searching archives here on pertronix, opus, Weber, and previously other topics. Invaluable.

Steven 67GT Avatar
Steven 67GT Steven Rechter
Imperial Beach, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3714857 by ernzo2 have a NOS Drive Resistor on the way ($2.00 shipped!)

A drive resistor was only used with the Lucas Opus ignition.

Please take a photo of your distributor, inside and outside.

There are no bad days at the beach.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster