AutoShrine Sponsor

C pillar
  This topic is about my 1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
This is for those who've fitted the extension to the C pillar.

(I can't find who it was that loaded the template) but did you take yours right to the floor base? How did you attach it? Once in what did you do to access the tail light anchoring nuts should you ever have to or do you just assume you'll never need to?

I'm thinking of making both an aluminium and card version.I bolt an angle piece to the floor and attach the aluminium extension up to the original C pillar base. Then attach a card version to that and then if I need access I can just unscrew the base and lift out. Although I have new C pillar covers I have to recover them in Oxford White - I was thinking of just making new C pillar cards that include the extension but I'm not sure which thought is best?????

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
I find that the two recesses behind the tail lights on my GT are valuable storage areas. I have no desire to enclose them but understand others reasons for so doing.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

MGB567 Avatar
I've removed the useless rear seat and am in the process of flat flooring that space - two boxes so plenty of storage as well as under the rear floor itself so no need for me to use those spaces.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
malski Avatar
malski Silver Member Peter Malkin
Bright, N.E.Victoria, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3711530 by MGB567 I've removed the useless rear seat and am in the process of flat flooring that space - two boxes so plenty of storage as well as under the rear floor itself so no need for me to use those spaces.

Fair enough. I'm more of a "keep it as original as possible" type than you. Having said that there has never been any human habitation on the rear seats - only luggage and vino.

Peter Malkin
NE Victoria
Australia
MGBGTV8 (1977)
MGB Roadster (1967) Supercharged - under restoration
MGTC (1949)

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Years ago we had someone here who made a set of fantastic speaker enclosures to fit those cubbies. They were hand laid fiberglass and aimed the speakers in the direction of the front.

If I was going to cover those areas I'd make a panel that would be held in place with some sort of twist latch or maybe even magnets

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Vino? Then you must have one of these on the rear window.

Attachments:
20170829_224709.jpg    53.4 KB
20170829_224709.jpg

Markp61 Avatar
Markp61 Silver Member Mark Pasquill
MARION, MA, USA   USA
Barry. The template includes a tab that sits flat on the trunk floor. The template is also 1 1/2” taller than the bottom of the c pillar cover.

The template is a really good fit. I used thin MDF and scored the bottom tab so it creates a right angle.

When I covered mine with foam , I stopped the foam short of the top of the cover to allow for the overlap with C pillar cover .

I have two self tapping screws in the bottom tab to the trunk floor.

Two flush head screws at the top that are covered by the C pillar cover.

I then created another template to cover the horizontal part. This is covered in the same vinyl and fixed to the frame under the plywood trunk floor.

Attachments:
A3E2318E-1ED8-42B6-980F-A44E815CB963.jpeg    77.7 KB
A3E2318E-1ED8-42B6-980F-A44E815CB963.jpeg

ED45F2DC-0193-41BC-BB17-1C0F3C5B192C.jpeg    71.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
EA4ECEC4-AA04-4436-AA94-ACF82054880E.jpeg    71.8 KB
gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
barrie

i think this is the template. on my todo list and speakers/hinged panel are couple of ideas under consideration.

do please inform of progress with pics. i too wonder about the rear seat replace with load space, but it was handy when we had the dog...and may get another....

very nice job you made mark

G

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-07 03:28 PM by gray.

Attachments:
BGT MAKE REAR Panel.pdf    192.8 KB

MGB567 Avatar
Graham. I modified the template such that mine doesn't go to the floor rather it is suspended off the base of the C pillar to about an inch below the rear deck level - that's why there's an angle bracket on the base to act as a support for a filler panel yet to be made. My idea is that I'll cover the extension with a detachable leatherette panel. The extensions are fully detachable so I can get to the tail lights if needs be. last pic is my deck - still requires some fine tuning, hinges, dzus, carpet, trim etc.

Attachments:
P1010606.JPG    43.7 KB
P1010606.JPG

P1010607.JPG    28.7 KB
P1010609.JPG    37.9 KB
P1010608.JPG    43.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster