AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Again wrong. The steel grade and quality was changed.
Rbb cars rusted faster under like conditions.

"Steel is a raw material not a design or mfg quality issue"
Where'd you come up with that tidbit ?

In reply to # 3705953 by earlspoint I disagree. I made mention of later engine issues in general. Also Steel is a raw material not a design or mfg quality issue. Leyland did not start purchasing lower grade material during RB production. All cars of the day had rot issues. One can find a 63 as badly rotted as a 80 depending on the location found. So I do not consider that issue germane to the discussion.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MSGDLD Avatar
MSGDLD Gold Member Dave Densmore
North East, OH, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Mabel"
1980 MG MGB MkIV
The variable is that while the engineering may not have changed, maybe the steel quality changed, maybe not, they were still assembled by human beings, not robots, so external conditions, I.E. labor disagreements or too much alcohol even, can and would affect build quality, especially with as labor intensive as the B was.

Also, engineering and design by itself doesn’t account for the degradation of the equipment used to build them.

Furthermore, In general, British cars weren’t known for their build quality regardless the year.

You would have to have your eyes wide shut not to know that the labor problems affected car quality during the strike years.

And FWIW, 40 years later, build quality doesn’t mean diddely squat, other than inane discussion when one has nothing better to do.

GeeGood67 Gary Good
Columbus, OH, USA   USA
Obviously, a political opinion... which is not allowed to be included in any discussion here!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
joron Avatar
joron Silver Member Michel Joron
Roxboro, QC, Canada   CAN
1977 MG MGB "Victoria"
In term of build quality about the same, those cars were assembled by hand not by a robots; the paint was often touched up by hand too mine was painted twice by BL, go figure. Overall after 40-50 years we could all say they were well designed and well made. There are very few old cars as numerous as MGB on the road today beside VW Bettle/Westfalia not even Porsche.

1977 MGB Red 'Victoria'
All Classics:
Married, 2 children, 2 dogs, MG MGB May to December.

limey222 Avatar
limey222 Silver Member Michael Cubbon
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB "Mandy"
You are jesting...right? It was a factual statement

In reply to # 3717049 by GeeGood67 Obviously, a political opinion... which is not allowed to be included in any discussion here!

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
The rubber bumper MGB is not as appreciated , but it was improved.smileys with beer

willie3051 Avatar
willie3051 William Leong
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
If anyone has samples of steel off the coils used to make CB and RB cars, I'll run a metallurgical analysis to see if there's any chemical or visual (microscopic visual that is) evidence to suggest one steel is better than the other.

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3717831 by willie3051 If anyone has samples of steel off the coils used to make CB and RB cars, I'll run a metallurgical analysis to see if there's any chemical or visual (microscopic visual that is) evidence to suggest one steel is better than the other.

We all do. They have been shaped into body parts, though. smiling smiley Would used steel samples not yield a reliable result?

willie3051 Avatar
willie3051 William Leong
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
Don't think anyone will submit a sample off their all-oiginal car.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 MG MGA

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links