AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ski.dive Avatar
ski.dive Fred M
FORT PIERCE, FL & MOUNT SNOW, VERMONT, FL & VT, USA   USA
Are the RB MGB's better built than the CB MGB's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 02:35 PM by ski.dive.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeoriaMac Avatar
PeoriaMac Gold Member Tom McIntyre
Washington, IL, USA   USA
I would think the answer is obvious. Just compare my 77 MGB with this average Chrome Bumper model. Your mileage may vary.

PeoriaMac (with tongue firmly in cheek)

Attachments:
mac and martha and mgb.jpg    57.6 KB
mac and martha and mgb.jpg

ARTCAR.jpg    30.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
There are people in both camps. It's the old Ford vs Chevy argument.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TonyV Avatar
TonyV Tony V
Rutherford, NJ, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB
Definitive proof for sure! eye rolling smiley

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
From what I have read, and I'm sure this will be contested down to the nub, (just cuz) is that the MGB's made in the middle 70s we're not as well made as the MGB made right at the end of the production run 78, 79 and 80 models.

And after reading more than 5 dozen posts on the polyurethane bumper more correctly stated, as they're not rubber bumper, bumpers the bumpers are made of polyurethane. There is a fairly large contingency of chrome bumper MGB owners, that just will dissect the late model MGB, polyurethane bumper cars, just because they don't like them. And, just because they're not chrome bumpers then there's got to be something wrong with them, right? Wrong.

Okay CB boys, go for it!

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 04:01 PM by danthefitman.

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
ok. diving in.

The rubber bumper body shell is totally different than the chrome bumper version. Virtually all the panels are different and the jigs and process necessary to assemble the shell were changed.

With the change in construction, there were some anomalies including a lot of variance in fit and panel symmetry. This becomes very obvious if a later shell is modified to fit the earlier grille and bumpers. The other time these differences are obvious is when a current BMH panel, which is made on the late tooling is used to repair an early car. The join points are different because of the change from leaded to exposed seams and there are some dimensional differences, most notably the left rocker panel and the front valence.

On the whole, I would state that the later shells were not built to as fine of a tolerance or fit as the earlier cars. There are other areas other than the body shell. Some of the castings, such as the front and rear wheel hubs had drifted to the point that some alloy wheels have interference problems with the hub center on 1975-76 model years. The factory fixed this around 1977 and you will see machining on the center of the front hubs, instead of an as cast finish. This may have coincided with the fitting of the V8 alloy center wheels on the Jubilee model.

Prior to the release of the rubber bumper cars, the MGB was designed and built to be a race car. Drive to work during the week and raced on weekends. By the 70s, the car was no longer competitive and there was no money to update the vehicle. As you can imagine, this led to a decline in enthusiasm. The 1977 facelift did improve things and introduced my favorite dashboard design. Yeah, I know, I'm going against the flow.

All that said. Late model Bs do have a lot of additional safety features and since the engine bay is common with the V8GT model, there make great conversion vehicles. I'm back to work on a 1977 V8 conversion and chose to use the later shell despite having a 1973 roller available.

That's my 2 bits.
Kelvin.

ltcouchphd Avatar
ltcouchphd Thom C
Boise, ID, USA   USA
There two sides to this, those who believe that RB Cars are better than the CB cars and the wrong side.

Thom

As my momma used to say to me "if you are so smart why aint you rich?".

Semper ubi sub ubi

1980 MGB-LE Daily Driver (a work in progress)
ZS Carb
Pertronix ignition
Vintage Air electric heater valve
Mgccars 110 amp alternator
Non-OD Transmission
really really really bad paint job

1971 MGB Bedouin
Newly rebuilt motor w/ Weber DGV carb
New Clutch
New Brakes
New Clutch hydraulics

Emil Wojcik Avatar
Metuchen, NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 3702845 by bleteaches6 There are people in both camps. It's the old Ford vs Chevy argument.

Not really the same at all. Being two different companies, Ford and Chevy would certainly have had some significant different design and manufacturing processes that may result in one company's product being somehow measurably 'better' than the other, at least in some ways. But with the MGB, it's the same car, just manufactured during different years. Did MG change its manufacturing processes to any great extent over the years? Did reconfiguring the engine compartment in later cars make them somehow structurally better built? Not that I know of but it's not something I ever thought about.

MG did make modifications over time that might possibly make one year 'better built' than another, but you'd have to define 'better built'. If referring to safety, it can be argued that RB cars are structurally safer than early cars in some ways. There may be other examples, and some of them may even point to early cars having some build quality benefits. I have no idea.

But I'm willing to bet you're not going to get a consensus on this forum, though.

EDIT: I should have read Kelvin's post before I responded since he clearly covers some of what I alluded to. Thanks, Kelvin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-23 04:21 PM by Emil Wojcik.

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Another addition on the 77 and later is a rear anti roll bar. I like that. Too bad the power brake M/C and booster interfere with a decent air filter for a SU conversion. I had a 77 roadster and now have CBB GT. Though the 77 had the rear anti roll bar it always felt a little rubbery compared to the GT. I suppose that is due to the metal roof on the GT and may not be a fair comparison.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Depends on who builds them..... devil smiley

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

daharleydude Avatar
daharleydude Silver Member John K
Ashevillle, NC, USA   USA
You have your CB people that like them and would not have a RB one and then you have your RB people who like them better. I am involved in the VW scene for a long time and the same argument comes up about what is better, a super beetle or a regular beetle. Sure, maybe something might be better on one than the other, but when you see one cruising, you know that it is a MG, and it does not matter if it is a rubber or chrome bumper. The same can be said about the beetle. When you see one on the road, who cares if it is a super or regular beetle.
For me, the important thing is to ENJOY the marque, either a RB or a CB one. It's still a MG, fun to drive and always puts a smile on my old ugly face. That is more important than what kind of bumper it has.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
As this is an inane discussion, maybe its just offered as a distraction to the death spiral in which this country finds itself beginning 14 months ago.

MGBGM1977 Avatar
MGBGM1977 Anthony Piper
Mossy Head, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3702904 by barry s As this is an inane discussion, maybe its just offered as a distraction to the death spiral in which this country finds itself beginning 14 months ago.

Exactly what does that have to do with the topic being discussed? If you can stay on topic, just go away quietly.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
One of the biggest difference, of course, is that the '68 and later Bs were built to a safety and emission standard that the early Bs weren't. Therefore, the early cars were much simpler to build and required fewer parts. My '67 B has lasted a bit longer, over the years, because of this. RAY

Cocoa, FL, USA   USA
I'm just glade they kept round headlights.I was always a fan of a nice set of round ones,specially if the high beams were on!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster