MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Folding the Top: Windows Underneath or On Top?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
Which is a better way to fold the soft top? After releasing the snaps and clips, do you

(1) Fold the rear window section up on top of the soft top, fold the windows inward, then push the whole assembly down with the windows underneath?

(2) Or do you fold the top down, leaving the window section laying on the trunk, fold the side windows in, then pull the window section forward over the folded top so the windows are on top of everything?

In each video, the actual folding starts about halfway through (if you're in a rush). Mine is pretty stiff, so I find the second method harder to do. I know this has been discussed before, but I'm curious if one is better or worse for the top. Any thoughts?

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Defender405 Avatar
Defender405 Silver Member Chris B.
Des Moines, IA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB
I have used method #1 for years. I also put a soft towel on top of the rear window once I fold it up, before folding the side windows onto it.

Chris AKA "Defender405"
1975 MGB
1979 Porsche 924
1999 Porsche 996
1987 Nissan 300ZX

course2kid Jeffrey Johnson
Fountain Valley, CA, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB "Lucy (Lucifer)"
I've always used method 2 (John Twist video), but I've never even tried method 1. In method 1, I'm wondering how the straps are employed. Does the rear window just hang down to the rear ledge?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
#2 with a towel placed over the window prior to rolling around the top.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

DrewM Avatar
DrewM Silver Member Drew Maddock
74 MGB roadster, Southern California, USA   USA
In method one, yes the windows just hang down on the rear shelf with no straps used. Then add the tonneau cover. Mine's currently ripped, so lately I don't use one. Need to buy a new one.

In method two, with the windows folded on top of everything, you can also skip the straps and put the tonneau over the top with a towel over the windows so you don't get scratches, as Chris does. I don't even have those straps, by the way. Must have been an original owner "delete" to save ten bucks. smiling smiley

Drew Maddock, So. Calif. USofA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 11:03 PM by DrewM.

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
I use the one depicted in the drivers handbook, whichever one that is, sorry not taking the time to view videos. Straps work great, still have the original top on my 73. Tim

Attachments:
7079816B-0BF2-44B0-B8C3-EEE5AD52DB88.jpeg    55.7 KB
7079816B-0BF2-44B0-B8C3-EEE5AD52DB88.jpeg

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Over the top is the drivers book way. Video 2 way

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

tedjr Avatar
tedjr Silver Member Ted R. Schneider Jr.
Akron, OH, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB "Ruby"
1974 MG MGB GT "The Orphan"
Method #2
I use a couple of washcloths to protect the window from the hinges. Using the straps gives me more room on the back deck.

ted

1974 MGB "Ruby" and 1974 MGB GT "Orphan"
MGExperience Journal
ENMGR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 09:57 AM by tedjr.

cstrong45 Avatar
cstrong45 Charles Strong
Bainbridge Island, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696931 by tkamd73 I use the one depicted in the drivers handbook, whichever one that is, sorry not taking the time to view videos. Straps work great, still have the original top on my 73. Tim

Store in the garage?

ranger240 Avatar
ranger240 M K
province, province, USA   USA
My B gets driven a lot most of the year in New England and as a result the top goes up and down a lot.

My top is secured only the the front of my micholetti frame (the rear bow above the window has cord to keep it aligned when up.

I fold the frame back and the top is flat on the trunk

Next fold the side windows inward and flip the rear window over so the bottom rail hooks onto the two top latches.

Allow the windows to flop down and hang from the latches.

I used to throw a towel between the windows.

It’s quicker than any other method I’ve come across.

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
In reply to # 3697114 by cstrong45
In reply to # 3696931 by tkamd73 I use the one depicted in the drivers handbook, whichever one that is, sorry not taking the time to view videos. Straps work great, still have the original top on my 73. Tim

Store in the garage?

Of course! Or under a cover, wouldn’t have the car if I didn’t have a garage for it. Spent its first 15 years, with the original owner, on Coronado island in Calfornia. She had a garage too. Tim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster