12 volt battery conversion

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGTFRV9A Robert Cutting
Vancouver, BC, Canada   CAN
I have installed the fancy plastic battery box liners and the group 26 12 volt battery will not fit, anybody know the correct battery that will fit in these battery box liners..?? I am doing a 72 to 67 conversion
Cheers
Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozieagle Avatar
ozieagle Gold Member Herb Adler
Geelong Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Wolseley 1500 "Wooly"
1966 MG MGB "Bl**dy B"
Take the battery box out, then it should fit.

Herb

Questions about prostate cancer? Click here to join the discussion

MGTFRV9A Robert Cutting
thanks Herb, but thats really not the answer I was looking for...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomgrigsby Avatar
tomgrigsby Gold Member Tom Grigsby
Ivor, VA, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB GT "The Blight"
1979 MG MGB "The NewB"
I did like herb recommended. The box is on the driver's side for storage, battery is on passenger side in original frame. Perhaps you could take the box to the battery store and try to find a 12 volt that will fit.

davester Avatar
davester Dave Diamond
Berkeley, California, USA   USA
1965 Austin-Healey Sprite
1971 MG MGB GT "Dad's Car"
A Westco AGM Miata battery will fit. It will be more expensive and have a lower CCA rating though. On the positive side, it will self-discharge at a much slower rate than a standard flooded lead acid battery, so the car can be left to sit for longer periods without starting.

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
I have a 67 with battery boxes and a Group 26 Battery I bought from Battery
Source. Its a very tight fit and is pretty much just wedged in there. I had to trim holes in the battery box for the cables but no other cutting. I suspect you may have one of those battery's with a protruding edge around the bottom. I understand they can be trimmed if necessary to make it fit.

willie3051 Avatar
willie3051 William Leong
Brooklyn, NY, USA   USA
Are there Autozone stores in Canada? Their economy model group 26 battery fits into the bin but it's still a tight fit. The Autozone mid-level and premium Group 26 batteries have that lip around the edge and they don't fit at all (without cutting).

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Walmart johnson control. Group 26 fits the C&C box
Some group 26 need grinding off at the base to fit his case.

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
Some batteries have tabs on the bottom...these can be carefully trimmed off if that's what is impeding the battery's entry into the battery liner.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, MA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
rather than a battery box, why not fabricate some sides/bottom and seal up the cradle? this will leave you with much more room.
jim

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
I would rather have a fresh air for the battery to off gas into than a sealed box.

Gary

phoffman Peter Hoffman
Miller Place, NY, USA   USA
I did this conversion on a 1974. I had to use some 2*4's and wedge out the sides a bit, then the battery box will fit.

LENZ Avatar
LENZ Jim Barlow
Leominster, MA, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "Murphy"
In reply to # 3697141 by Gary E I would rather have a fresh air for the battery to off gas into than a sealed box.
just drill a few holes

mgbtf Avatar
mgbtf Silver Member Dave Kalp
Fort Wayne, IN, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT
1980 MG MGB
In my 1969 I am using an Interstate, Group 26 Megatron III, 665 cca. Nice snug fit. Only downside... it does not have the convenient lifting handle that some batteries have now..

MGTFRV9A Robert Cutting
Many thanks chaps for all your input, needless to say the consensus of opinion was to get rid of the liner and fit a Group 26 which is exactly what I have done, the left hand battery box with the liner is now a storage box!! I nearly bought the Mazda battery but at around $300 before taxes (that's Canadian) I gave it a pass..Cheers
Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links