MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Seat refinishing experiment is more or less successful.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mick from Scotland Avatar
East Lothian, Scotland, UK   GBR
So, in a previous thread I mentioned that my seats were knackered. Bit short of MG spending money, restuffed with some foam I had about left over from my sofa. Then sanded the leather down to remove the finish, which was navy blue with cream piping. Then after a lot if scrubbing with cleaner and some solvent, went at it with some green leather spray, and cream for the piping. The masking was a hellish job. But I am happy enough with the end results......okay, nothing will ever be as nice as the new seats I see here, totally get that, but for 25 pounds all in it's not bad. Have to do the other side now though. Then move on to the trim pieces.......but its all quite enjoyable really.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180313_174724.jpg    58.6 KB
20180313_174724.jpg

20180313_180659.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
boggsy64 Avatar
boggsy64 Platinum Member Ken Boggs
Brooksville, KY, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Dad's Hand Me Down"
Very nice! great job

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
I like it. Looks well done and serviceable.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewk Avatar
lewk Silver Member Keith Lewis
Cambridge, ON, Canada   CAN
I believe you showed us green carpeting the other day, it's going to look terrific with that colour green on the seats. What colour is the car body? Show us pictures when all done.

Nice Job!!

little G Avatar
little G Charlie T
queensland, QLD, Australia   AUS
1964 MG MGB "Little G"
So the spray is a dye is it ?

If say it's more of a paint than a dye, but the initial dusting coats apparently, according to supplier info, penetrates the surface, so lots of very light coats needed. I got brave and stuck tape to a hidden area, left overnight and then ripped off harshly........didn't lift the surface at all, so I am in hope that my backside will not be olive green

After a hiatus due to getting ill a while, completed the rear seats today . No before picture, but trust me, they were very second-hand looking. Come up a treat, colour a good match with carpet binding. Sure is taking a lot more time and effort than I thought, but that's usually the case with whatever I do!

Attachments:
20180324_122951.jpg    60.2 KB
20180324_122951.jpg

ltcouchphd Avatar
ltcouchphd Thom C
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Very Creative! Well done.

Thom

As my momma used to say to me "if you are so smart why aint you rich?".

Semper ubi sub ubi

1980 MGB-LE Daily Driver (a work in progress)
ZS Carb
Pertronix ignition
Vintage Air electric heater valve
Mgccars 110 amp alternator
Non-OD Transmission
really really really bad paint job

1971 MGB Bedouin
Newly rebuilt motor w/ Weber DGV carb
New Clutch
New Brakes
New Clutch hydraulics

gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
i think you have done a great job mick.

to be honest the quality of old parts is in many cases better than new and it's also attractive to have patina rather than spanking new.

did you use one of those spray kits ? seen seats painted on wheeler dealers or sos, can't remember which one and results were amazing.

but i am curious about back seat as that looks like vinyl not leather - has it taken the paint without rubbing off?

G

Graham. The spray stuff took to the vinyl seat really well, can says leather in big print but vinyl and plastic in small print. It's not such a great take on the hard panels e.g. kick panel but acceptable. Seems fine on door cards. Aiming for a new interior for under 300 pounds including carpet, for no good reason other than my time is very cheap :-)

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
In reply to # 3703674 by Mick from Scotland . Aiming for a new interior for under 300 pounds including carpet, for no good reason other than my time is very cheap :-)

And drinking time is way more valuable.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

Done. I'm happy with the outcome of my leather a vinyl recolouring experiment. Door cards and seats very shabby previously, looks a lot tidier now. Time to get running and driving.

Attachments:
20180331_140050.jpg    54.1 KB
20180331_140050.jpg

20180331_140103.jpg    49.3 KB
20180331_140155.jpg    41.6 KB
gray Avatar
gray Graham Moore
CAMBRIDGE, CAMBRIDGE, UK   GBR
those speakers look a bit interesting. do tell us more....

and which colouring product did you use please?

i am replacing my trim and headlining. bought some leathercloth and am cutting my own panels using the originals as templates. fortunately door cards are ok. i am starting to think however that maybe i should buy real leather. also unsure if to just attach the fabric/leather direct to board or use a foam-ish padding...

G

Graham. The 'paint was trg brand from vinyldye...... prob CO.uk but just Google vinyldye. Takes about 2.5 cans per seat all told, more than I expected anyway.
The speakers.......just a pair of 'ministry of sound,' nothing fancy. Can't remember spec but recall it looking a good match to the amplifier I use, an older sony xplod xm. An evenings ebay activity .Can't recall it's specs either.......but hooked to iPod it's excellent on long drives. I retain MW crackly old radio in front and speakers in door cards for the news and traffic reports. I like the sound of cars as much as the next person but there are times that i like music loud and clear just as much and sometimes more.....long drives on quiet roads with a long way to go, no real point in rushing.......

In reply to # 3708250 by gray those speakers look a bit interesting. do tell us more....

and which colouring product did you use please?

i am replacing my trim and headlining. bought some leathercloth and am cutting my own panels using the originals as templates. fortunately door cards are ok. i am starting to think however that maybe i should buy real leather. also unsure if to just attach the fabric/leather direct to board or use a foam-ish padding...

G

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster