Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
Does this look interesting to anyone? It's a prototype top and bottom roller bearing kit for CB cars. I made it 10-12 years ago as an alternative to my Derlin kits. Worked out to be expensive plus required a lot of my time to duplicate so I dropped the idea of production. I did not find that the benefit justified the cost/labor to market.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Roller bearing kit1.JPG    69.8 KB
Roller bearing kit1.JPG

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, OK, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Will it fit a 67? If yes, I’m interested if the price is right. winking smiley

In reply to # 3696479 by Gerry Does this look interesting to anyone? It's a prototype top and bottom roller bearing kit for CB cars. I made it 10-12 years ago as an alternative to my Derlin kits. Worked out to be expensive plus required a lot of my time to duplicate so I dropped the idea of production. I did not find that the benefit justified the cost/labor to market.

;-\

TANSTAAFL !

Gerry Avatar
No, this column is for 72-76 US Spec cars. I have never looked at an early column with the idea of putting roller bearings in it but it may be possible. Early columns I rebuild in my shop using Derlin custom made bushings.

In reply to # 3696511 by rocannon Will it fit a 67? If yes, I’m interested if the price is right. winking smiley

In reply to # 3696479 by Gerry Does this look interesting to anyone? It's a prototype top and bottom roller bearing kit for CB cars. I made it 10-12 years ago as an alternative to my Derlin kits. Worked out to be expensive plus required a lot of my time to duplicate so I dropped the idea of production. I did not find that the benefit justified the cost/labor to market.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
In reply to # 3696511 by rocannon Will it fit a 67? If yes, I’m interested if the price is right. winking smiley

Frank.

I've rebuilt a number of early columns using the readily available plastic upper bushings and lower felts. Never had a problem.

Kelvin.

ClayJ Avatar
ClayJ Silver Member Clay Johnston
Mt. Olive, MS, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB
I've got about 10 years on a set of Derlin bushings Gerry provided, no complaints.

RAY 67 TOURER Avatar
RAY 67 TOURER Ray Marloff
Fort Bragg, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB "My Girl"
Gerry, was there a noticable difference in the "feel" between the Delrin and roller bearing columns? RAY

Gerry Avatar
Ray, no, I did not find that there was any real improvements over my Derlin bushings. Because the roller bearings actually ride on the steering shaft I suspect that the condition of the shaft will have to be nice and smooth. This may not be an issue for the top but most bottom shafts have a rough area where the splined piece is welded to the tube. I smooth this area when I build a column in my shop. As for the early columns I have had several come through my shop that the felt had been saturated with water and rust pitted pretty bad. Sometimes I have to turn this area down to get a good surface, sometimes I have to fill the pits with brass with a torch and then turn it back down to original OD. I've had to do this on more MGA columns than MGB columns, though.

In reply to # 3696603 by RAY 67 TOURER Gerry, was there a noticable difference in the "feel" between the Delrin and roller bearing columns? RAY

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Gerry, I should get my GT out of winter storage bye end of month. First thing will be removing the column. Can you advise on anything concerning removal ? It’s been years since I pulled one apart...thanks Jack

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
My experience, Delrin is a marvelous material!

This reminds me though of a tour I had of Silver Hill ( Smithsonian Garber facility). They were restoring a German night fighter. Down one side of the fuselage was a wall of rods with tiny rose end bearings, tiny ball bearings and bushings. A true work of art. US planes had a couple of bell cranks and cables, maybe a rod in a bronze bush. Two questions came to mind: One, was the feel really any better, or just German perfectionism? and no wonder so many WW2 movies are always " going to bomb the ball bearing factory"

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

Gerry Avatar
Jack, cannot think of anything special. The early columns used a rather delicate horn connection system. In at least half of the ones I have done the wire that goes through the shaft and it's components were pretty bad. I'd say be real careful with it. Sometimes I have to create those parts from scratch

In reply to # 3696672 by tampaguy Gerry, I should get my GT out of winter storage bye end of month. First thing will be removing the column. Can you advise on anything concerning removal ? It’s been years since I pulled one apart...thanks Jack

Diver648 Gold Member Warren Siringer
Tucson, AZ, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
1967 MG MGB GT
1971 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
I noticed quite a bit of play using the replacement and leather ones this afternoon while trying to raise the column tube up 1/2 inch so the cowl almost reached the steering wheel on my 67 Roadster. Had a terrible time trying to move the tube up even with everything loose.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
I was thinking about that even before your last comment

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster