AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

boggsy64 Avatar
boggsy64 Platinum Member Ken Boggs
Brooksville, KY, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Dad's Hand Me Down"
This is a great and simple video that shows simple method for setting SU Carbs... He does this on a Saab but still works...

[url=?t=2][/url]

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
Volvo.

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Ken - This video is actually so so. This is a Volvo. I don't know if Saab used SU carbs. The fellow devotes too much attention to some things and not enough to others. His concern with the cleanliness of the carb piston and carb body throat is not really going to be the source of most problems. He does not offer an explanation of his reason for the re-tuning. Too many inexperienced owners are anxious to tweak the carbs. Often this is unnecessary. The carbs should only be touched after the valve lash and ignition are brought o OE spec, at least to start. He also overlooks a critical step before adjustment. The linkage between the carbs must be slackened so that an adjustment to one carb does not influence the other.

Do a search for John Twists carb tuning videos. Better yet is to robotically follow the step by step procedure in a good manual for proper adjustment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
boggsy64 Avatar
Volvo / Saab ... my bad, I had not watched the entire video in some time. Point I was making there is that it is not a LBC... I have watched John Twist video and he gets very detailed and I love his work (I will use that in combination)... I liked this video because it made the whole process seam doable for anyone...... I have not set my SU's before (installing them in place of ZS in '77). I have seen the JT video about setting the jets and definitely will initially set them there.

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
Ken - Are you installing HS4 or HIF carbs? The Volvo video is HS4s. Much of the tuning procedure is the same but I urge that you find a step by step for whichever carbs that you have. Its also important the condition of your carbs. If used, its probably worth checking some of the relatively accessible gasket/seals and float settings.

pepron Ronald Langauer
Switzerland   CHE
FYI: Volvo 544, B18 engine, SU HS6 carbs

Union Bridge, MD, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB
Thanks, Ken

boggsy64 Avatar
HS4's ... video just a confidence booster that it is not rocket science

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster