AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I bought a pair of remotes from Andy Jennings. Unfortunately the LHS has a broken spring. Other than buying another has anyone found a replacement spring - it's the one near the lock not the one on the triangle. I asked Mr G but to no avail.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
remote and lock.jpg    23 KB
remote and lock.jpg

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
I'll take a shufty tomorrow.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Hi Barrie, that question was recently posted without any favorable responses. I have the same issue and will be making one out of spring material that I have on hand. Another option is to find a hardware store with a good spring selection and modify one to fit. It can be slipped over the pivoting piece so it doesn't need to be made or modified in place.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
No luck Melbaver or no shufty yet?

Ben - no spring shops locally.

Now wondering if someone has a busted remote but with the lock end still operative in which case you'd cut that end off the remote and send to me - if so PM me please.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

melbaver Avatar
melbaver Gold Member Chris Howells
Broadwater NSW, Australia   AUS
1968 MG MGB "Moneypit"
1996 Jeep Cherokee "Shopping Trolley"
Hi Barrie,

No luck unfortunately. I'm sure one will turn up from somewhere.

Chris Howells

1968 MGB Purchased already dis-assembled but which is largely back together so I'm a lot less ignorant.

MGB567 Avatar
Just what does that spring do - certainly my door won't lock from the inside (but how many use that function)?

The lock mechanism is working and I'm almost certainly going to convert to a remote (as detailed on here by Herb) so maybe I don't need a functioning spring???????????

MGB567 Avatar
So if nobody knows what the purpose of the spring is does anyone know what type of spring it is? (You can't see it but it's below.)

Attachments:
spring.jpg    1.6 KB
spring.jpg

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Barrie, I will take a look later today. I have a broken one as well as a working one on the bench somewhere. I believe the purpose of the spring is to return the lever that engages the locking mechanism to the rest position.

MGB567 Avatar
I was asking more now about the type of spring it is - I think it's a compression spring - because when I ask these guys if they have a suitable one they're going to ask.

bencii Ben Colpitts
Mansfield, OH, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
Torsion. Do you have the old one?

MGB567 Avatar
Sorry my bad I meant torsion and yes I still have the busted one on there - I might take it off and either send them a pic or send it to them. I'll keep searching for an equivalent firm locally.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1978 MG Midget MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links