AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

caslguy Avatar
caslguy Chuck Wyke
Atascadero, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
I am currently restoring a 1963 MGB number GHN3L12966. It is in great shape with no rust and complete. I plan on doing a complete original concurs restoration. The original color was iris blue with disk wheels. I have done 10 restorations over the last 30 years but never one this old. Other than the paint the car is in very original condition and has not been messed with as I can see. It is very interesting to see how MGB's were built back then. Kind of like doing an archaeological dig so to speak. One of the things that I am curious about is the placement of the antena hole. It is currently located on the windshield cowling (see picture) and not the passenger side fender as are all other MGB's that I have seen. The fenders have not been off until I did so today. There is no evidence of a hole ever being in the fender. This hole on the windshield cowling has the original blue paint on the inside of it so it does not appear to have been added later at the dealer of otherwise.
My Question is this: Has anyone ever seen an antenna placed on the windshield cowling in the position before on one of these earlier MGB's?
Thanks
Chuck Wyke

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
_C5A7713.jpg    49 KB
_C5A7713.jpg

_C5A7361.jpg    53.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Surfdogge69 Avatar
Surfdogge69 Ed Rapp
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
Hi. On my 1973 the antenna hole is centered in front of the trunk (boot) for motorized antenna and there is no evidence on mine either that there was ever one on fender by windshield

mgdriver67 Avatar
mgdriver67 Silver Member Stephen Farrell
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB MkI "Lulu"
2016 Volkswagen GTI
2017 Honda Ridgeline 4WD "Mom's Truck"
Did they come standard with antennas? I kind of think that was a aftermarket or dealer installed accessory. I owned a 63 as my 2nd car in 1967 and I seem to remember adding at least the radio. My 67 has the antenna on the fender. I'm sure the hole was there when I got it though.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sama Avatar
sama Sam A
Hartford, WI, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
Chuck, I own a 63B with an antenna. Came that way when I bought it in the early 80s. Hole is drilled into fender. If you need a photo or dimension location, let me know.

Sam Angilello

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Ditto...fender on my'63. Cowl on my'68, which leaked water onto (and into) the wiper motor.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

OldEvo Silver Member Jeff Clark
Weems, VA, USA   USA
My '65 had an antenna hole in the cowl in that same location. I say 'had' because I filled it in a couple days ago. The '63 I had back in the early '70's had the antenna in the fender so I believed the hole in the '65 was not original. Hmmm.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Does not look like a good spot to drill a hole in a car built in Britain, just saying !

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Antennas were dealer installed except on the odd personal export or press car which had a radio installed at the factory. Therefore there is no factory correct place, nor were holes for them drilled or stamped at the factory or body plant on the chrome bumper cars. Most, on chrome bumper cars were located on the passenger side front fender, however they tend to be annoying in that position as they can whistle in the wind. I have seen more than several mounted on the cowl, as it enters the passenger compartment directly, saving the installer drilling a secondary hole or fishing the cable through a firewall grommet...

joed Avatar
joed Joe Guthrie
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
My '74 cb has the antenna on the cowling also. The passenger floor pan experienced more rust which can be attributed to that antenna location leaking. I assume a power antenna which requires more vertical clearance was used.

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
In reply to a post by mgbanthony Antennas were dealer installed except on the odd personal export or press car which had a radio installed at the factory.

x2 on what Anthony said. Radio installation was the providence of dealers so what you got is what the dealer thought you wanted. Here is a bit more of history over on the original MG forum, Early 1969 MKII MGB Motorola AM-FM Radio and Installation.

caslguy Avatar
caslguy Chuck Wyke
Atascadero, CA, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
Thank you all for your replies. That answered my question. This is an interesting car. One of the things that I noticed is that the rear bumper fillets are made of steel and larger than the aluminum ones on the later cars. Also they are painted the same color of the car.
Chuck

johnvall1 John Valentine
York, PA, USA   USA
1963 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB
Chuck, that's one of the ways to spot an early MGB. The filler plates are steel and should be the same color as the Car. There is a web site devoted to early MGB's but I can't remember the name of it. It has all the items that distinguish an early car. Good luck with yours. I, too, own a '63 but it is a later car than yours and was highly worked on, unfortunately! Its on my Body Rotator at the moment.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Holes in fenders might produce whistle but no leaks !

lgorg Avatar
lgorg Larry Gorg
Renton, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB "Robbie"
Here is the early web site: http://www.earlymgb.com/

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 MG MGA 1600

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links