AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

stiffarm67 Avatar
stiffarm67 Gold Member Joe Herz
Ridgefield, WA, USA   USA
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
My 69 GT is getting a new dash. The trim piece the covers the area between the dash pad and the windscreen (where the VIN tag mounts) is knackered and falling apart. It's bad enough that I have doubts If I can use it as a template to make one on my own. Moss Europe shows the part in one of their interior diagrams but list no part number. Have found no other leads.

If I had a good template, I'd be fine recovering. Any suggestions welcome.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 09:06 PM by stiffarm67.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Demistor-Windscreen Trim (1).jpg    19.8 KB
Demistor-Windscreen Trim (1).jpg

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I have one rotting in a 73 if you want to come look/use.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
stiffarm67 Avatar
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
Thanks Chris. I fear it would suffer the same fate as mine and fall apart we removed.

In reply to # 3696041 by chris I have one rotting in a 73 if you want to come look/use.

MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
What about MGB130L/S here?

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Steve Lyle Avatar
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1972 Lotus Elan
1972 MG MGB
You can make your own template. Get some butcher paper or similar, some scissors and razor blades or x-acto knife. Start with the windscreen off, tape the paper in place, set the windscreen back down, and start trimming/marking/trimming etc. until you get it right. Voila - a template.

Anyway, that's what I did during my restoration.

You can get the material from MacGregor's, or your local vinyl supplier. Use contact cement to attach, doing one side then the other.

Documenting my project in my journal at http://www.mgexperience.net/journal/index/Steve+Lyle

stiffarm67 Avatar
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
Barrie,

That looks like the actual sheet metal panel for the area in question. Thanks though.

In reply to # 3696166 by MGB567 What about MGB130L/S here?

stiffarm67 Avatar
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
Steve,

Thanks for the info and detailed procedure. Really hoping I don't have to go this route though. Pulling the windscreen sounds like a trip to the dentistsmiling smiley

In reply to # 3696216 by Steve Lyle You can make your own template. Get some butcher paper or similar, some scissors and razor blades or x-acto knife. Start with the windscreen off, tape the paper in place, set the windscreen back down, and start trimming/marking/trimming etc. until you get it right. Voila - a template.

You can get the material from MacGregor's, or your local vinyl supplier. Use contact cement to attach, doing one side then the other.

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
I bought a cut-off piece of marine vinyl from an upholstery shop. Much better quality than the original (which was just plastic, not even vinyl). I glued it in place first (on a GT, I imagine you can tuck it under the windshield frame ever so slightly). Then with a sharp hobby knife cut around the edge using the car body as guide. Worked very well for me.

I couldn't use my original as a pattern because it was deformed by the sun, but with this method, it worked even better because it conforms to the scuttle panel perfectly.

Some photos:

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

MGB567 Avatar
Yep that's the steel piece - sorry I misunderstood. I'm surprised you found it on M-E as our cars never had that narrow scuttle panel; always the bigger version that you too got on the early steel dash cars (and various suspects sell a recovery kit) but AFAIK only a version which glues direct to the scuttle top,

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

stiffarm67 Avatar
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
Ahmed/Barrie,

GTs have an actual fiber board panel covered in upholstery rather than the upholstery being bonded directly to the sheet metal. Apples and oranges. Tx though.

Joe

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
Ah, didn't know that..
I imagine a separate board makes it even easier, you can recover it outside the car on a nice flat bench and then re-install. No?
Would advise getting a proper upholstery glue (HH66) so that it resists heat and sun.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Steve Lyle Avatar
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1972 Lotus Elan
1972 MG MGB
In reply to # 3696236 by stiffarm67 Steve,

Thanks for the info and detailed procedure. Really hoping I don't have to go this route though. Pulling the windscreen sounds like a trip to the dentistsmiling smiley

In reply to # 3696216 by Steve Lyle You can make your own template. Get some butcher paper or similar, some scissors and razor blades or x-acto knife. Start with the windscreen off, tape the paper in place, set the windscreen back down, and start trimming/marking/trimming etc. until you get it right. Voila - a template.

LOL - I missed the "GT" aspect of this, somehow. Nevermind....

Documenting my project in my journal at http://www.mgexperience.net/journal/index/Steve+Lyle

stiffarm67 Avatar
1969 MG MGB GT "The GT"
Ahmed,

Yes, I'm warming to the idea of DIY'ing this as options appear to be nilsmiling smiley Thanks for the glue recommendation.

Joe

In reply to # 3696441 by Ahmed Ah, didn't know that..
I imagine a separate board makes it even easier, you can recover it outside the car on a nice flat bench and then re-install. No?
Would advise getting a proper upholstery glue (HH66) so that it resists heat and sun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 03:08 PM by stiffarm67.

andy1965MGB Avatar
andy1965MGB Silver Member Andy Lincoln
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB "Blue Jay"
1967 MG MGB GT "Cardinal"
I was able to reuse my fiberboard piece on my 67 GT. If it were damaged, I would have made a paper template from the car's scuttle. If any part of the fiberboard is any good, it will help make a paper template.

But it isn't too bad if you are willing to make one or two scrap templates as you find the best way for you to capture the portion that tucks under the front windscreen seal.

Andy

MGB567 Avatar
"GTs have an actual fiber board panel covered in upholstery " -

yeah I knew that but as mine was in several pieces I'd forgotten. If I was to replace it I'd have to make one without a template as so far I haven't found a replacement; as I mentioned mine needs to be full sized which I assumed was what M-E showed (albeit as you note w/o a # ) They do appear to show two although it's not clear if that's vinyl or board or both; why not contact them? Their technical section is very good.

Attachments:
GT trim.jpg    40.8 KB
GT trim.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster