AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gordon Lewis Avatar
Gordon Lewis Silver Member Gordon L
Eureka, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
I have decided to rewire the 67 because it is having a recurrent problem with the dynamo. There is also some interesting DPO stuff.
I am not overly concerned about stock wiring or new? Is there a significant advantage to the newer wiring kits with more relays ?
Thanks for any advice

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
New wiring harness (OEM replicas) have no more relays than what originally came with your stock wiring. Any extra relays, fuses, etc are DIY mods added by owners.

But, just by having a new OEM wiring harness, you can expect new insulation on the wires, new (and clean!) bullet connectors, new loom tape, etc. Which, combined with refreshing the existing components connecting to the harness, means years of trouble-free and frustration-free electrical system.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 11:40 AM by Ahmed.

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Right on what Ahmed said. I haven't ever felt the need for the relays and such, relying instead on new harnesses.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Gordon Lewis Avatar
Gordon Lewis Silver Member Gordon L
Eureka, CA, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB
Thanks Ahmed and Chris. I’ll order a loom. Just hope I don’t have too many “might as wells” .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
I thought you were asking about OEM replacement (think Autosparks) v something like AAW. The former is 'plug and play' provided you get the right year while the latter is a lot more labour intensive eg no bullets pre-fitted.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Silver Member Al Blosser
Uniontown, OH, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Go for a modern wiring system. Do you think mg would still be using a 4 fuse panel if they were still building cars. The Prince of darkness reputation didn't come out of nowhere. I drive mine around town and on trips without worrying if it will keep running. I like pure stock and modified MGs, but i want to drive a modern mg.

member - Emerald Necklace MG Register,
NAMGBR since 1991
infantry RVN 1969

Simon Austin Avatar
I’ve had nothing but success using new harnesses available from Autosparks UK. They build the harnesses available from the usual suppliers. They will sell you a factory replica harness or modify as required.

Modern cars use/need all the relays they have due to the complexities of computers built into modern cars. We all know the advantages of relays and there are kits available to add them to a new harness if desired.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Ahmed Avatar
Ahmed Silver Member Ahmed EL Abasiry
Chestermere, AB, Canada   CAN
1958 MG MGA
1972 MG MGB
1979 MG MGB
In reply to # 3696247 by Simon Austin I’ve had nothing but success using new harnesses available from Autosparks UK. They build the harnesses available from the usual suppliers. They will sell you a factory replica harness or modify as required.

Modern cars use/need all the relays they have due to the complexities of computers built into modern cars. We all know the advantages of relays and there are kits available to add them to a new harness if desired.

I did just that. New OEM harness from Autosparks then added a few relays and an upgraded fuse box (8-position). Looks and behaves like stock, but better protected and more reliable.

"... the motor car, after woman, is the most fragile and capricious thing on earth." - London Daily Mail 1908

NOHOME P P
O, ON, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
A 12 circuit harness from Speedway is like $150 ( 200 Cnd) bucks and will do what you need. Arguably better materials and design than the original harness.

I think my cost on a MOSS harness landed in Canada is like $1500 Cnd.

At ten times the cost, the only reason I would go with original is if originality mattered.

If paying, cost to install would be pretty close for either one.

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Gordon.

If you ever have problems with the stock wiring on an MGB, I can fault find it over the telephone.

An aftermarket harness is only as good as the person making the terminations.

Your 67B is a very simple vehicle and doesn't need much in the way of fuses. It is easy to add a couple of extra fused circuits, if you feel you need them and an add on headlight relay kit can just plug into the original harness.

Keep it simple.

Kelvin.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Keep it simple but add relays for headlights, blower and wipers ! Big improvements in functionality

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 MG MGB MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links