Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
Another one bites the dust. Days like today cause me to lament about the future of the MG hobby, First it was Mac Townsend, then the story about James Woolf buying the exceptional MGB from San Diego and now Gerry Masterman.

Mac is not a 'newbie'. He was the long standing editor of the San Francisco Region of the SCCA magazine and once owned one of the original 1964 Sebring team cars. Now he is old and can no longer get into his MGB easily....forcing him to sell and dispose of too many parts collected over the years.

Gerry is bailing on the MGBs he owns for the same reasons as Mac.

And then there is James Woolf. Long before I was a registered member of the forum, I used to delight in the arguments the 'old hands' had with a member with the screen name lbcnut. He would always win with his vast knowledge of all things MG. After many many months of this he was finally outted and the 'old hands' discovered they were arguing with a 12 year old kid. Hence he became known as 'young James' forever more. I have since met James and our paths have crossed many times. The last time he visited he was finishing a circumnavigation of the USA on a 35 year old Honda motorcycle. He arrived at my house about Christmas time looking a bit worse for the wear. He is now off on a motorcycle jaunt around southeast Asia. The last jaunt I took was from the side door of a Huey.

But just before he set off for Asia, he bought the MGB from Craigslist in San Diego. Now James is not a rich guy....almost like a 21st century hippie really. If he had money, he would have bought that old MG sight-un-seen. Instead he hoped on his motorcycle and rode 500 miles to have a look see.....and then rode 500 miles back home same day. I saw all the responses about that ad. "It's too far away...shipping is too expensive...I don't have the time". James gets it. You can't expect a nearly perfect example of an old MGB to find you. They are not so easy to come by anymore. They are special in a way that a welded up rusty car will never be.

I exported over two hundred rust free MGs during the frenzied period of the early 90s. I took quite a bit of heat from fellow convention goers at NAMGBR yearly meets. Many guys hated me for it. When I would ask why they wouldn't come out to get one, the reply was always the same.... "It's too far away...shipping is too expensive...I don't have the time". Nothing has changed and I find that really depressing.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 03:24 PM by balloonfoot.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Simon Austin Avatar
Sounds like James is living his life rather than watching others live theirs on the internet....

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
Well, shipping isn't free, so that does have to be factored into the price. Thing is, if it a very good example what one is looking for, then it may well be worth going after. I once drove 5 hours round trip for a 1972 Gibson Les Paul when I lived in CA while in the Air Force back in the late 70s. Paid $325, Still have it. Sometimes, the good stuff isn't nearby.

First met James at Gatlinburg 2006. Bumped into him & his dad again in French Lick, IN in 2014. Very cool guys. I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14 & experiencing my dad's '63 B since I was 5, so we have things in common. I was also stationed at Beale AFB, CA ( home of the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane) from March '77 to November '80. James lives in Grass Valley which isn't far out the back gate at Beale. Awesome location, IMO. Truly hope he is loving it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
I was one of the first here on the MGE to figure out that James was "somewhat younger" than the rest of us.

I was sworn to secrecy until he decided it was time to let the cat out of the bag. smiling smiley

I have a LOT of respect for James and his family....and only wish him the best.

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I didn't have to figure it out, he told me. It's always fun when he stops by or comes to the ABFM in Portland, OR for our camp out. Thank goodness since some are starting to stay in (GASP!) hotels and such. Some of the cars he has shown up in are miraculous! Like the one where he rigged an alt mount since his was broken. Asia. Hmm. At least parts will be available there for his ricer rockets!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Mark NC Gold Member Mark Woolf
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
If he gets into ricer rockets I may have to consider disowning him-especially if they have fart cans!!!

Seriously, I am very proud of him. He’s following his dreams, having adventures and experiencing things a lot of us wish we had the cajones to do at his age (or at any age). I admire him for what he’s accomplished so far and can’t wait to see/hear what he tackles next.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 04:51 PM by Mark NC.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
In reply to # 3695983 by V8MGBV8 Well, shipping isn't free, so that does have to be factored into the price.

As Ben said.......shipping is cheaper than the bodyman.............

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Definitely!

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
Last saw James up in town at a Motorcycle/Beer get-together, he was riding old BMW Airheads. I had told him earlier of some good places to ride around here in the mountains. He had just been in a, shall we call Motorcycle dismount and was walking a little gingerly with a very sore back. None the less he was making good time with a couple of chicks. Young guys heal fast. I figured he would be off to Alaska before Asia.

tampaguy Avatar
tampaguy Jack Shea
Elgin, OR, USA   USA
Interesting ! Saturday I visited a friend who is a long time MG guy. MG TD, TF and a outstanding A Coupe ‘. Funny thing is, it was his wife who got him into MG’s. She recently passed, so as you can imagine his enthusiasm for them has diminished considerably. We wrote an ad for the A Coupe’ and afterwards we took it for a spin, the weather was the nicest since last fall. I let him drive first as I had never even been in a MGA since the 70’s. I just sat back and enjoyed the experience. The car drove magnificently, having been repowered with a 1.8 , backed by a Moss 5sp. Moral to story, I could see by the look on his face that something was not right, it just was not the same anymore to him without his better half on board. I think we should all ponder what it’s going to take for us to give up our LBC’s.

bleteaches6 Avatar
bleteaches6 Silver Member Lee Orphan
Bonney Lake, WA, USA   USA
What I truly admire in James is his desire to enjoy life. Bravo!

OldBloke Avatar
OldBloke Gold Member Jim Legg
Napa, CA, USA   USA
1970 Rover 3500
1971 MG MGB GT
1972 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1973 MG MGB "Tagalong"
Have met up with James in Dixon, Ca and Portland ABFM a couple of times. Does make me envious with his travels and enthusiasm. Mac hasn't come by my place since I talked him into driving with my car club and he didn't appreciate the potholes of Marin county back roads. As I age, my two MGBs are seeing less drive time as my classic Rover P6 is more forgiving to my old bones and has a suspension that doesn't even notice those Marin county potholes!....and that V8 rumble is addictive!

"Not all who wander are lost." -J.R.R. Tolkien

V8MGBV8 Avatar
V8MGBV8 Carl Floyd
Kinggsport, TN, USA   USA
In reply to # 3696028 by balloonfoot
In reply to # 3695983 by V8MGBV8 Well, shipping isn't free, so that does have to be factored into the price.

As Ben said.......shipping is cheaper than the bodyman.............

I agree, Lloyd. I wouldn't ship it, though. I would drive it home. Life is an adventure. cool smiley

Mark NC Gold Member Mark Woolf
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
[
[/quote]

I agree, Lloyd. I wouldn't ship it, though. I would drive it home. Life is an adventure. cool smiley
[/quote]

I think some assembly would be required before this car is in drivable condition. However he's made multiple cross-county trips in both an early MGBGT as well as a RB MGB.

roadster65 Avatar
roadster65 gavin vincent
Sydney, Australia   AUS
Hi Lloyd,

Would that have been with an M60 and an "H" ciggie hanging jauntily at the side of the mouth smoking smiley

Cheers - GV

In reply to # 3695966 by balloonfoot . The last jaunt I took was from the side door of a Huey.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster