Mystery Valence, What Does It Fit?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mike 69 MGB GT Michael Salzman
Malvern, AR, USA   USA
Several years ago I bought a front valence for my MGB-GT. To look at this valence, it looks like
the original. I took it out of the box and looked at it and then put it back for future work on the car.
It has a yellow Heritage Tag on it and a white tag that reads
"M6 front valence no vent holes 1962 to 1972"

The future got here and I took the valence out of the box to start fitting it to the car.
The mystery valence is 53 inches tip to tip. The original is 55 inches tip to tip.
The square holes for the bumper are 23 1/4 inches inside to inside on the mystery valence.
The original is 22 1/4 inches Inside to inside.
None of the mystery valence mounting holes line up with the body locations.

Anyone have any idea as to what this mystery valence fits. I would like to know so
I can try to sell it to someone who needs one.

Mike

Stupidity will win in the end. The supply is endless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 01:51 PM by Mike 69 MGB GT.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Cornfgl Avatar
Cornfgl Graham Cornford
Bellville, TX, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT V8 "Goose Poop"
Mike,

Perhaps a picture would be helpful.

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
Sounds like the 10% off version...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Differenece in tip to tip could be because one or the other got squished or flattened of both. Many of the new valances don't have the holes where you would wish them. Here's a second to seeing a picture.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Malvern, AR, USA   USA
Will work on some pictures.

The most troubling part of this is the square holes for the bumpers being an inch different.
I could see the tip to tip perhaps being spread 2 inches to fit, but then again, I would have
thought that Heritage would have done better in locating the mounting holes.

kmartin Avatar
kmartin Gold Member Ken Martin
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1953 MG TD MkII "Baby"
1959 Austin-Healey 3000
1967 MG MGB GT "Blue Bell"
I too found the holes for the front valance were not correct for the valance I bought 7-24-10. It was a few years later when we tried fitting it that we fount the holes were off. We started with the center bolt and worked both directions and found the bolt holes were close enough to get the bolts started, but both holes were off of the location for the bumper mounting brackets to bolt to the frame rails. We ended up filling part of the holes and widening the other side of the hole to make them fit the front frame rails. The two holes were wider than they should be. Never could find out why the holes were off or if the valance was made for something else. Just had to fix them.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Attachments:
IMG_0193.JPG    35.3 KB
IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG    40.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0192.JPG    38.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
Call The Roadster factory, M6 is their designation for the chrome bumper MGB, give them the number on the white tag, or plug the the number into their website. Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 09:44 PM by tkamd73.

Malvern, AR, USA   USA
The valence was purchased from TRF years ago and the numbers
all match their current catalog. The valence is no longer available from the TRF catalog.
Plan to call them and talk about it, but don't think anything will come of it as it was
along time ago when the valence was purchaged.

All if this doesn't help a bit as the valence does not fit the car.
I am going to go back to the original and pound the dents out and reuse it rather
than try to patch the bumper holes and mounting holes and re- drill them.

I still think that Heritage should be ashamed of themselves for missing the
location of so many holes in the valence.

mgbgts Avatar
mgbgts Rob Meier
Johnstown Ohio, USA   USA
I have yet to replace a valance and not have to re-work it to actually fit the car

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
I think the hole locations were commonized at one point, where one valance was supposed to be used on multiple years. That doesn't account for your bumper bracket holes.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Some one is dumping garbage......? Solid valances I think were used up to 72/73 ?

"Be yourself, because everybody else is already taken". - Oscar Wilde.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" - Phineas Quimby.

rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, OK, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
grinning smiley

In reply to # 3696047 by mgbanthony Sounds like the 10% off version...

;-\

TANSTAAFL !

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
In reply to # 3695920 by Mike 69 MGB GT Several years ago I bought a front valence for my MGB-GT. To look at this valence, it looks like
the original. I took it out of the box and looked at it and then put it back for future work on the car.
It has a yellow Heritage Tag on it and a white tag that reads
"M6 front valence no vent holes 1962 to 1972"

The future got here and I took the valence out of the box to start fitting it to the car.
The mystery valence is 53 inches tip to tip. The original is 55 inches tip to tip.
The square holes for the bumper are 23 1/4 inches inside to inside on the mystery valence.
The original is 22 1/4 inches Inside to inside.
None of the mystery valence mounting holes line up with the body locations.

Anyone have any idea as to what this mystery valence fits. I would like to know so
I can try to sell it to someone who needs one.

Mike

Mike.
It is supposed to be what it says it is. It's a BMH valence that is supposed to be a correct fit for the earlier MGB with chrome bumper and without the V8 oil cooler vent holes.

We still have problems with these, despite numerous complaints. BHM has the tooling from the last version of the rubber bumper MGB shell and the valence is not exactly the same as the early car. The mounting holes are punched and fit rubber bumper cars correctly, but are asymmetrical (just as the rubber bumper cars were). The bumper mounting holes are just sloppy. That, I'm pretty sure has been tightened up. I have not heard complaints about the them in some time.

This is a situation where there is currently only one manufacture of front valences. The tooling is the same whether it is chome bumper vented, non vented or rubber bumper.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 MG MGB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links