MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

what happens if I over fill the resevoirs on my su's?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rproietti Robert (Rick) Proietti
cottonwood,ca, USA   USA
I'm having big time fuel issues with 741/2 mgb can get it to fire off and chug along at about 500 rpm on full choke with the gas to the floor. I may have over filled the resevoirs on the su's. Problem?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ghnl Avatar
ghnl Silver Member Eric Russell
Mebane, NC, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA "Calvin"
The excess will just squirt out through the vent hole in the cap (and get all over the engine compartment).

Eric Russell ~ Mebane, NC
1961 MGA #61, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider, 1991 Honda ST1100

Gerry Avatar
Gerry Gold Member Gerry Masterman
Prairieville, LA, USA   USA
It may take a little while to do it but it WILL make a mess. Suspect the first thing you may notice is a lack of wide open throttle. No physical damage, though

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
Take the chamber covers off, remove the pistons and pour out the oil. Clean everything and reinstall with oil to the proper level. Try using an old oil squirt type can.

Attachments:
Squirt Can.jpg    4 KB
Squirt Can.jpg

Gerry Avatar
A basting syringe will keep you from having to remove the dashpots. The squirt can oiler is the best way to fill dashpots AND shock absorbers. I keep some big hypo syringes, with a hose instead of a needle, in the shop just for jobs like this

dawvid Avatar
dawvid Silver Member David B
Sharon, MA, USA   USA
I doubt overfilling the SU's is your problem. Try not pushing the gas petal to the floor when starting. The choke mechanism depresses the throttle a specific amount.

Check your spark plugs to see if they are soaked with gas. Did it previously run correctly or is it just this one time?

David

74 Damask Red BGT
Davesmg@outlook.com

Fogliner Avatar
Fogliner Mark Vanherd
Port Clements, BC, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
No need to remove the domes.

Simply undo and pull out each dipstick in turn and with a rag in your left hand held around the top hole....use your right index finger to push the piston upwards to the top of its travel.

This will expel any excess oil out the top hole to be absorbed by the rag you are holding.

This will leave it as full as it can get but not overfull.

No need to complicate things.

mark

cottonwood,ca, USA   USA
David
This began at the the shop where I had it for a starter which turned out not to be an issue. The say the carbs need rebuild which I doubt as they were done about 3000 miles ago. The only other change is an addition of a cold air intake. Before taking to the shop the car ran fine.

Fogliner Avatar
Fogliner Mark Vanherd
Port Clements, BC, Canada   CAN
1974 MG MGB
OK , what was the original reason you thought it was the starter?

mark

Gerry Avatar
"Carbs need rebuilding" is the more than common reason given for improperly running MGBs I suspect that the majority of the time it is an excuse by someone who knows very little about SU carbs or MGs

Swamperca Avatar
Swamperca Swamper CA
-, Nor Cal, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "C-Rod"
1971 MG MGB "Rubee"
1974 MG MGB "Groovy B"
If the oil overflowed into the chambers they will need cleaning out.

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Silver Member Al Blosser
Uniontown, OH, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Sounds like you went to the wrong shop.

member - Emerald Necklace MG Register,
NAMGBR since 1991
infantry RVN 1969

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
I concur with the other comments.

Set the ignition timing and points to specifications. Then, get the manual and work on setting up the carbs.

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

cottonwood,ca, USA   USA
Starter would not engage. Shop said it was in the electronic distributer. Replaced that with the original points dist and a kit to change it into an electronic dist. When the wanted $600 to rebuild carbs I had the towed home. Now I'm thinking of an alternative carburation set up. Weber?

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Your shop is staffed by morons.... thumbs down

They have no idea what they're doing. The distributor has nothing whatsoever to do with your starter engaging or not. Demand your money back and find a shop that knows British cars.

Do not change your carburetors; dual SU carbs are the best choice for any street-driven MGB. They can easily be serviced and made to run very well by someone who's more familiar with SU's than with charging huge sums of money trying to figure out how a distributor would affect a starter motor.

For starters (pun intended...), remove your (mostly useless...) cold air intake setup. You may well find that the morons who serviced your car installed the carb-to-air-cleaner gaskets upside down... winking smiley

Dick

P.S. Put your points back in. You'll thank me later.... cool smiley

In reply to # 3695870 by rproietti Starter would not engage. Shop said it was in the electronic distributer. Replaced that with the original points dist and a kit to change it into an electronic dist. When the wanted $600 to rebuild carbs I had the towed home. Now I'm thinking of an alternative carburation set up. Weber?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster