Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Dennis. That is STILL NOT RIGHT. Trying to remember how I did it. It was on a bugeye, yes it did have to have a brush.
I will look tomorrow and see if I have any pictures. I think the brass center connector attached to the brush, I had to make a housing for the stock one and cut it down. Sorry, don’t mean to cloud the water. Cheers

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
DENNIS: Ok looked it up. The only picture I have is the "BRUSH" I had to make and EPOXY into the hole in the wheel hub. That brush made contact with the stock horn ring. SOOOO HORN PUSH WIRE TO HORN RING .> TO BRUSH > TO BRASS TERMINAL (Small length Wire) >SPRING STEEL CLIP "INSIDE" CENTER BUTTON > TO WHEEL HUB WHICH IS "GROUND" That's it. It was clear back in Dec 2015 ?????? Cheers

Member Services:

Attachments:
SEATS BACK 003.jpg    42 KB
SEATS BACK 003.jpg

DSVW Dennis S
Ellicott city, MD, USA   USA
Thanks. So it looks like all I am missing is the brush. Then I need to solder a length of wire from the brush to the metal contact coming out of the center of my push button? Also, what way did you put the brush in? I see that there are two different ways. thanks for the help

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
DENNIS. Turned out this was a %^&*( to get to work. The Hub that came with the wheel had a THRU hole for the horn brush. Depth was about 1", all the brushes for MGB / Midget are like 2.5 - 3". I had to shorten the plastic Brush holder. The plastic holder for the brush is HEXAGON shaped internally as well as is the brass brush to keep it from rotating. Once you order a horn brush you will see what I mean. I had to use 1/2 of the brush assy, and epoxy it in the hub hole at the right height. I can draw you up a diagram and post it up if that would help. PM Me when you have brush in hand and I can help. Cheers

Member Services:
DSVW Dennis S
Will do. Do you have the same horn and steering wheel that I do? I can't tell.
Thanks for the guidance.

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I have some other pictures on here, but they are looking from the side. I was having an issue with the wheel not going down on the steering shaft far enough. I had to machine the taper on the back of the hub. BUT, BUT< I remember the horn button being just like yours. ??? I will E-Mail my customer down in Long Beach and see if he will send me a picture I can post up for you ????

Member Services:

Attachments:
STEERING WHEEL ISUES 001.jpg    29.2 KB
STEERING WHEEL ISUES 001.jpg

STEERING WHEEL ISUES 002.jpg    41.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
STEERING WHEEL ISUES 003.jpg    25.9 KB
STEERING WHEEL ISUES 004.jpg    34 KB
DSVW Dennis S
Wow, you are most helpful. I just returned from my garage. I cleaned all of the contacts, the grounds, and the horns themselves. I have gotten to the point now where when I insert a screwdriver into the hole where the brush goes and ground it to the center bolt the horn now blows. Had to go through the entire system to get to this point. Only thing left is to get the brush in there. My horn button is plastic......Still not sure how that will ground and activate the horn when I push it......unless I fabricate some sort of metal plate for the back of the horn button that will make contact with the brush and the center bolt of the steering column simultaneously.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Dennis: At the top of the steering shaft, UNDER the steering wheel is what is call the "HORN RING". >>>Black Plastic with a brass top surface, Like a thin flat DONUT. it attaches by a wire to the cars horns. SOOOO. by putting a screwdriver in the hole and touching the center nut, = GROUND >> Horns blow. SOO The horn ring IS there, that is good. The horn brush you will be getting, rides on that brass surface as you turn the wheel. and connects to the Steering Wheel Horn Push and grounds along the edge of the Hub instead of the center nut "SAME THING" As I mentioned, the trick was to get the brush the right LENGTH, and to keep it in place. ie, the Epoxy. and NOT allow the center brass connector on the horn button to touch the center nut. = Horns blow all the time. I think you should get the shop Manual or at least a CATALOG from MOSS they both have good pictures that would really help. The new MOSS web site, I think is LACKING in what the catalog shows. Still need a drawing, or have you got it figured out. Have Fun. Cheers

Member Services:
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Dennis here you go. Cheers

Member Services:

Attachments:
03EC7975-F917-44B0-B8ED-FB8D8957DB9E.jpeg    29.5 KB
03EC7975-F917-44B0-B8ED-FB8D8957DB9E.jpeg

EA91B0ED-E2FE-40B8-B11F-E8B17F0AD909.jpeg    35.6 KB
DSVW Dennis S
Thanks for going through all that trouble. You have been most helpful!

oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Glad to help: WHISLE, or Blow the HORN if you get stumped. Cheers.

Member Services:
spikemichael Avatar
spikemichael Platinum Member Michael Caputo
Ocean Shores, WA, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB "Freebie"
1973 MG MGB
1974 MG MGB "Spike"
1979 MG MGB "MegaBeanie"    & more
Way to go Joe!

well done.

Michael J. Caputo
'79 RBB and '73 CBB owner with extensive experience in 12v Audio System design and installation.
Vendor of Regalia and Promotional Products. Forum Member with a warped sense of humor.

Member Services:
Pre-Order NOW for shipping in early December! Call me at 978-249-5760 PST for help with your Weber DGV Carburetor, questions about the calendar or just to talk MGBs!
oleanderjoe Avatar
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
WELL: Always blowing my own HORN, glad to help someone else blow theirs smileys with beer

Member Services:
DSVW Dennis S
OK. New horn brush arrived and I have that in there. My horns work when I ground the brush to the center nut in the steering column with a screwdriver. It looks like all I need to do now is to solder a length of wire from the brush to the contact behind the push button with the MG Emblem on it as shown in my attached photo?

Attachments:
20180312_194404.jpg    27.5 KB
20180312_194404.jpg

patorlando Pat Walsh
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
here's a pic of the horn contact, installs on the wiper stalk and contacts the back of the slip ring. they can get messed up pretty easily.

Attachments:
horncontact.jpg    4.1 KB
horncontact.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG Midget

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links