AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

and6412 Andrzej Wojcik
Poland - Krakow, Poland   POL
1965 MG MGB "Crisp"
1976 Mercedes-Benz SLC
Hi,
Some time ago I bought on eBay as a bargain refurbished engine which I plan to put into my B. The engine comes as a clearance from closing the business, so I cannot contact the seller as it does not exist anymore.
The problem is that engine came without engine number plate and consequently, I do not know an exact number of this engine. Could anyone of you help me with identifying this engine type/series? Photos below, if some more details would be needed, just let me know..
Thanks everyone

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
The block is a 66-70, I think, the head is an early pre smog.

and6412 Andrzej Wojcik
1965 MG MGB "Crisp"
1976 Mercedes-Benz SLC
Thanks Glenn, but what does it mean in practice? Should I use parts/specifications for setup from 18GH engine?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Its a GK 8.8 compression

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

mgv8glen Avatar
mgv8glen Glenn Towery
Dover, DE, USA   USA
It has early lifters & late valve springs on the head, earlier heads use dual springs. The big thing you need to watch with your set up is the cam, stock is .013, the hotter the cam, the bigger the gap. What cam do you have?

Gary E Avatar
Gary E Silver Member Gary Edwards
Kernersville, ,N.C., USA   USA
the block date 10.16.70 which would be a GK as Rob said.

Gary

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
Info on cylinder head here: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2433169

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3695179 by dickmoritz Info on cylinder head here: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2433169

Dick

LOL, I was even active on that thread. Makes since, Euro version of the 2923 head, just pre smog design. I remember more now, Peter Burgess and I emailed each other back and forth about this head as potential race head, but the later 38cc heads have thinner deck so getting more CR out of them than a early 42cc is really not an option because the early heads have thicker deck, and at the end of the day you can make one any smaller CC wise than the other, and the early head is a more stable casting.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 04:46 PM by Speedracer.

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
If the head is a 12H2709 single single spring it isnt origial to the engine and until you pull the head you wont know if the eyebrow reliefs exhast side have been performed to the large intake valve style head from an early 18 V smog engine.

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

and6412 Andrzej Wojcik
1965 MG MGB "Crisp"
1976 Mercedes-Benz SLC
In reply to # 3695298 by ohlord If the head is a 12H2709 single single spring it isnt origial to the engine and until you pull the head you wont know if the eyebrow reliefs exhast side have been performed to the large intake valve style head from an early 18 V smog engine.

Could you please explain? I don't get the point due to my limited English ;-)

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
The later 18v engines had eybrow reliefs cut into the block.
The earlier 18GK etc. Didn't
When you use an 18v head on a non 18v engine those cutouts are sometimes needed.
Somesay always others say test clearence first with stock cams

http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/peterburgess/exhaustcutouts.html

Good as any explanationthumbs up

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

and6412 Andrzej Wojcik
1965 MG MGB "Crisp"
1976 Mercedes-Benz SLC
Thanks, now it is clear. However, I can easily turn the engine by hand. Isn't it sufficient test?

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
I ask a Brit if it were me, someone like Peter Burgess, the block is dated late 1970, and Euro market was already year ahead of us anyway. So it probably has the "eye brows" in th top of the cylinder for valve de-shrouding. If one cuts the head a bit to raise or cam that lift well over , .420: with virgin, or only slightly cleaned up head before valve would smack . If I didn't know anything and t sounds like you don't, you got two options, put the thing and go, as for the external bolt on parts, distributor, carbs , intake, they all interchange. Match your back plate, flywheel and starter to your transmission, 3 or 4 syncro. The other option is the remove the head and oil pan and do a bit of looking around. Now this is going in the 1965 right ? If so you may want to use some things from that era, long nose early water pump with the deep early water pump pulley, the motor mount brackets,and motor mounts from the 65 are the same as this engine. Look at your old engine in this regard the newer engine make the necessary swap. If you are still worried about your head an exhaust valves and test your valve lift with dial indicator and magnetic base, .400" or under valve lift and chances you have nothing to worry about exhaust valve clearance to the block. Chances are better that is fine than that it is not, but no one here can tell you that for sure, the ball is your court to find those answers, but we have told you what to look for.

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - VTO alloy wheels for British Sport Cars, and others
and6412 Andrzej Wojcik
1965 MG MGB "Crisp"
1976 Mercedes-Benz SLC
I think I will simply run it like that. First, I trust that someone who rebuilt the engine knew what he was doing. Second, it makes no sense to go back from this point.

Is there any specific setup where I should pay special attention to the engine series? I mean, valves clearance, timing, carburettors adjustment etc..

ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Valves .015 cold
Your HS4 carbs set to spec
Ignition timing set to best idle and toad tune it to best performance.

*****Per above you're aware you will need to adapt the engine to youf transmission in the 1965 does it concurrently have an engine and transmission installed?****

Tuning specs in approiate sections

http://www.geomatique-liege.be/MGJP/DocumentsPDF/MGB_Workshop_Manual.pdf

It's a long way around"

Vietnam 1969-1972

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster