Questions Regarding a 1972 With Rubber Bumpers

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rockingham, VT, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB
I dunno. I bought my '73 last fall for $6,500 and while it had some PO anomalies (which folks on this forum helped me with just the other day), it was a 'right' car. For a relatively small increase in payment, I think you can get a whole lot more car. And I'm getting the waking nightmares wondering what else the PO did to it, if they had the bad taste to convert a chrome nose to a rubber nose...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JoeReed Avatar
JoeReed Gold Member Joe Reed
Cordova, TN, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Kermit"
Wasn't the dash the same from '72 - '76?

It would be interesting to compare the VIN on the tag to the one stamped onto the chassis...

mgbanthony Avatar
mgbanthony Platinum Member Anthony Henderson
Gananoque, ON, Canada   CAN
1962 MG MGB
1962 MG MGB
1970 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
For education purposes: look at pictures 9-10 in the Craigslist ad. They clearly show a body seam between the reverse light and the fuel filler. No 72 had a visible seam there, 72s were factory leaded and a different style of seam entirely. Therefore the chances of the body being a 72 is not good. Only a very few very late 74 CBBs had that seam, and then all RBBs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-09 06:03 PM by mgbanthony.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
As Anthony said in post #4 and above, this is a '74 1/2 body with '72 dash and steering wheel. Also, rear license plate light assembly is from '74 (only I believe with the chrome light housings. While the dash was '72 thru '76, the light toggle switch in '72 did not contain the green illumination piece and the heater control knobs differ from '73 and later.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
In reply to # 3694085 by mgbanthony For education purposes: look at pictures 9-10 in the Craigslist ad. They clearly show a body seam between the reverse light and the fuel filler. No 72 had a visible seam there, 72s were factory leaded and a different style of seam entirely. Therefore the chances of the body being a 72 is not good. Only a very few very late 74 CBBs had that seam, and then all RBBs.

this body panel seam is also visible on the cockpit rear deck as well!
Clearly a Frankenstein car and best to stay away from.

B

Check your ego Amigo!

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Platinum Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
That car is a very rare factory model, known as the MG Heinz...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

57 varieties... grinning smiley

Dick

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

mvheim Avatar
mvheim Silver Member Mark Heim
CA, USA   USA
1966 MG MGB
I don't see any compelling reasons to get involved in this mess unless you absolutely love the look. Even then, prepare for issues.

Plenty of cars out there that are straightforward propositions, not odd ducks.

Max Heim
'66 MGB California Melee 2006 & 2014
'66 MGB rolling project

ingoldsb Avatar
ingoldsb Silver Member Terry Ingoldsby
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
1971 MG MGB
Quote: Perhaps I wasn't clear. The seller said that the PO liked the look of rubber bumpers so he installed the rubber bumpers.

You were clear we're just not sure we believe the previous owner. Very few people convert CB cars to RB.

If the floor pans have not been replaced, and you lift the carpet/mat in the passenger side you should see a hidden copy of the VIN

Terry Ingoldsby
terry.ingoldsby@DCExperts.com

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3693774 by kennyloggins Ok thanks everyone. Perhaps I wasn't clear. The seller said that the PO liked the look of rubber bumpers so he installed the rubber bumpers.

You cannot simply install rubber bumpers. The modifications to convert a CB to an RB are just as extensive as the other way around.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
Sinewave Avatar
Sinewave T. Keith Vezina
Kenner, LA, USA   USA
Dollars to donuts, that is a rubber bumper car that has a VIN plate and title from a sacrificial '72 to get around California smog testing.

The VIN plate on the door is easy enough to change; just two rivets. The one on the dash at the base of the windshield is a little more difficult but definitely doable. I would love to see a close up photo of each.

T. Keith Vezina
British Motoring Club New Orleans
1976 MGB, 1976 MGB Trailer & 1967 MGB MK. I

Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Anthony for a win.

The exposed seams are indicative of a post 1974.5 rubber bumper shell when the rear body panels were re-designed to be solder free. Either that, or it's a Heritage shell which also has exposed seams.

The 1968-74 dual, non servo brake fitment might be original, in which case the shell is a 74.5, or it may have been fitted to a later shell. The pedal hole is different between the two systems. There would be evidence of a retrofit.

Thurlowb Avatar
Thurlowb Silver Member Brad Thurlow
Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3694492 by Mustangsix
In reply to # 3693774 by kennyloggins Ok thanks everyone. Perhaps I wasn't clear. The seller said that the PO liked the look of rubber bumpers so he installed the rubber bumpers.

You cannot simply install rubber bumpers. The modifications to convert a CB to an RB are just as extensive as the other way around.

I agree. I would love to see how that front bumper has been attached if the support beams are not there originally. It is one thing to cut them out for a RBB to CBB conversion, quite another to put them IN for a CBB to RBB conversion!

Rob-USLE Avatar
Rob-USLE Rob DE JOODE
Rotterdam, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
1974/1976 RB car with a 1972 VIN and tags and papers.
Like a by "the Who" : run run run

danthefitman Avatar
danthefitman Dan H
Portland, OR, USA   USA
1979 MG MGB MkIII "Simply, A Great B!"
Because this car is super cobbled-together, I wouldn't put it past the previous owner to say that the guy glued the bumpers on the front. Or tied them on with bailing wire and used chewing gum as shims.

In reply to # 3695899 by Thurlowb
In reply to # 3694492 by Mustangsix

I agree. I would love to see how that front bumper has been attached if the support beams are not there originally. It is one thing to cut them out for a RBB to CBB conversion, quite another to put them IN for a CBB to RBB conversion!

1st Place Winner ABFM Portland Oregon 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016!
Email me for questions or needs, I'll respond promptly! dan@allpointsorganized.com
Life. Positively in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 01:54 PM by danthefitman.

clinghoffer Gold Member Clinton P
Port Washington, WI, USA   USA
I can't be the only one that wants someone to go look at it so we can know for sure, can I? If I was anywhere close I'd do it smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster