Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Hello LBC owners. Has anyone on here convert their late model MGB to a 5 speed using the Vitesse Miata conversion kit? I have been I touch with them and they seem legit and honest. I love my car but I would love to drive it on the highway sometime without taxing my motor so much. I also at some point want to convert to an 8 cylinder 3.5 rover or 215 Buick in the future and they said it could be done. The cost of the kit is just over $2000 and $375 for shipping to Massachusetts. They said for another 475 plus shipping they can send me what I need for the v8 conversion when I am ready. I know it sounds like a lot of money but it sure does beat buying a new car with a 5 speed in it. I am hoping that if I do this swap I can extend the life of the existing motor which has 31000 miles on it. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it. Thank you and have a good day.

Tom Bernier

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
A----
Its over $2900 plus shipping totals well in excess $3400
V8 kit adds another $470

You can drop in a factory 4plus2 lh overdrive for under $1000

In a weekend

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Silver Member Al Blosser
Uniontown, OH, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
My personal preference would be the 5 speed if you can afford it

member - Emerald Necklace MG Register,
NAMGBR since 1991
infantry RVN 1969

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
aeroshadow Alex B
Port Dover, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Tom
put a Vitesse 5 speed in my 1980 LE a year ago. It was literally the easiest swap I've ever done..al the parts included in the kit, and easy bleeding the clutch etc.
The Miata transmission is brand new and shifts like you'd expect. The car is a pleasant drive on the 400 series highways. Expensive? yep. Worth it? For sure.
Alex

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Thank you Rob. I have some thinking to do about this....

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Thank you Al. I am leaning toward that according to the reputation of this swap. The reason I own an MGB is because it is affordable. lol. BTW. I love your new B. I almost had a second car same color a few weeks ago with a blown motor. The guy called me back and said he changed his mind and wasn't selling it. That's Ok I told him. I hope you fix it and enjoy it like I do. Thanks again.

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Hi Alex.

I know it is expensive but I have heard good things about this swap. Those guys told me it was expensive but worth every penny. I have a friend who will probably help me with the swap if I do it because I just started working on my now car since I bought it with little experience. I am having fun with it but it will probably cost me a little more but I am ok with it. Thanks for the input and I hope to be driving the highway soon with my car. Enjoy your new 5 speed and when I get it I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Simon Austin Avatar
If that gearbox is what you want, Tom, buy it. Sometimes you have to spend a little money to enjoy life.

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

aeroshadow Alex B
Port Dover, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Tom
communication by phone and email with Alec Poole, Tim Henderson, Wendy Webb, Christian Disney at Vitesse was pleasant and thorough. They answered all my questions right away for example....about fitting the trans in, alignment, parts numbers/sourcing of some of the parts they used ....and shipping.
Any concerns I had turned out to be unnecessary it was easy peasey.just follow the directions....it's kind of obvious once you have the parts in front of you...& came in a big shipping box with handles right to my garage door via DHL.
The big deal for me is that the stuff is all new. No issues. I drive the car a lot .
The only thing I changed, for personal preference, was the shift knob......found a 5 speed knob with proper shift pattern on line & it looks just like the original MGB knob.
My original clutch pressure plate was in excellent condition so didn't have to replace it, didn't need to have the flywheel surfaced.
Alex

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Thank you Simon. I agree. Amazon knows me by name. I am enjoying every day. Thanks man. Looks like I might jump for it. Drive safe.

Tom

Simon Austin Avatar
thumbs upthumbs up

You know we’ll expect updates with photos once you start the conversion...smiling smiley

"Speed costs........how fast you want to spend?"

Idasix Avatar
Idasix Gold Member David Smailes
Mount Vernon, WA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Red Rider"
Tom I put the Rivergate in mine and that meant I had to find my own tranny. I lucked out. The flywheel was a core item and I had to send it back after putting the new one on. Install went like a dream and I have been happy with it ever since. Stopped my my British car mechanic and he was putting the final touches on a Miata kit. He said it went great and smooth. He also said days later that he took it out for a drive and fell in love with it. He said Miata parts are available off the shelf including the tranny.

Dave

The brave don't live forever...
The cautious don't live at all.

tfd1115 Avatar
tfd1115 Tom Bernier
Taunton, MA, USA   USA
Hi Alex,

I started the order process for the transmission kit at Vitesse LTD Global on March 30 but it didn't go through. I have been contacting them since and they aren't responding. I will try to call next and I hope everything is ok over there. I really want to get this project going so I can enjoy a full driving season. Thanks again for the words of encouragement on this project. You sold me on it.

Drive safe.

Tom Bernier

br.foot Avatar
br.foot Brian Powers
MT, USA   USA
I'm interested in this swap as well.

riley1489 Avatar
riley1489 Gold Member Bruce H
Great White North, QC, Canada   CAN
1953 Jaguar XK120
1959 Riley 1.5 "King George"
1973 MG MGB
Hello Tom,
Pleased to read you are going ahead with tis purchase. thumbs up
This 5 speed conversion is not expensive as so many are writing. It may cost more than other options but I do not think it expensive.

Enjoy and provide feedback

B

Check your ego Amigo!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster