AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tahoe36c Avatar
tahoe36c Paul Hruza
Panama City, FL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC GT "Little Red Rocket..."
1972 MG MGB GT "Tiny Dancer"
2002 Harley-Davidson Dyna
I was just about to ask about Naval Jelly Stephen!! LOL... You took the thought right from my head. That has been on the market over 40 years now. I think I remember it being pink and the consistency of jelly of course...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_naval/overview/Loctite-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver.htm

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
e97-7.jpg    39.9 KB
e97-7.jpg

Steve S. Stephen Strange
Harrisonburg, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkII "The Mouse Trap"
Paul-
Yep. Naval jelly has been around just about forever and just keeps selling, probably because its so much easier to control than the liquids. Stays put and rinses off with water, too. What more could anybody ask for?

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3689987 by Steve S. Paul-
Yep. Naval jelly has been around just about forever and just keeps selling, probably because its so much easier to control than the liquids. Stays put and rinses off with water, too. What more could anybody ask for?

Well, I wanted a spray rust remover that also left a primed surface...quick and easy with Jasco, Ospho and Kleen Strip Metal etch and prep in a spray bottle. It looks like the Jasco product has been discontinued and Lowe’s no longer carries the Kleen Strip product, but you can order a gallon for about $12 and dilute it 1:1...goes a long way.
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
this stuff is magic.............. http://www.worlds-best-products.com/products/rust-b-gone/

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 3690097 by balloonfoot this stuff is magic.............. http://www.worlds-best-products.com/products/rust-b-gone/

Lloyd,
I’ll have to give that a try. Since it’s phosphoric acid based I wonder how it can cut thru grease and oil?
Rut

1960 Bugeye undergoing restoration, 1275
1970 MGB, Pale Primrose
1967 Triumph TR4a
1966 Triumph TR4a
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3690254 by Perdido
In reply to # 3690097 by balloonfoot this stuff is magic.............. http://www.worlds-best-products.com/products/rust-b-gone/

Lloyd,
I’ll have to give that a try. Since it’s phosphoric acid based I wonder how it can cut thru grease and oil?
Rut

It's phosphoric acid mixed with a solvent/surfactant. You could clean the part, then apply the acid if you can't get Rust-b-gone.

Adrian

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, NS, Canada   CAN

Lloyd,
Rut

It's phosphoric acid mixed with a solvent/surfactant. You could clean the part, then apply the acid if you can't get Rust-b-gone.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

balloonfoot Avatar
balloonfoot Gold Member Lloyd Faust
Southlake, TX, USA   USA
I put the stuff in a spray bottle from Home Depot and use one of those 50 cent blonde bristol brushes to work it a bit. Hose off with water and repeat.

When I was doing the Viper that was completely submerged in the Houston flood, I could spray that stuff on and flash rust would disappear like it was mud.

Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

"Anyone with an intense emotional interest in a subject loses the ability to observe it objectively: You selectively perceive events. You ignore data and facts that disagree with your main philosophy. Even your memory works to fool you, as you selectively retain what you believe in, and subtly mask any memories that might conflict."

Attachments:
20171006_110206.jpg    60.7 KB
20171006_110206.jpg

20171006_105339.jpg    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Degrease first, e.g. with thinners, then de-rust with an acid and finalise by a good rinse with something on the base side, like soap. If you do not rinse well in the end, the treatment may well work the other way. A passivation layer over the cleaned steel before starting with primers is worthwhile. I.c. something with zinc inside. Or use a primer with those passivation properties inside....

PS Smooth Hammerite does not even require getting the rust off in the first place.
It is the only rust-converting solution I found OK, I also tried Kurust and Fertan but these were not so effective and less easy to paint over

Lloyd,
Rut

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-03 10:22 AM by Donthuis.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
Well, thanks everyone for the opinions. I went and ventured to Homie D's and purchased a gallon of "Metal Rescue". I am sold. To darn cold outside to blast little stuff so I mixed in a SS bowl and dropped these in untouched in a 65 degree F. basement. No sanding, just degreased. I left them in for 24 hours and saw a color change. I removed them today at 48 hours. These are ready for prime or my new venture - anodizing. $26 bucks while I stayed at work and made money. No fuss, no fumes. If you have things like family ventures, and have no free time, at least you know your still moving forward! Good Stuff!

"Be yourself, because everybody else is already taken". - Oscar Wilde.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" - Phineas Quimby.

Attachments:
DSC01988.JPG    65.3 KB
DSC01988.JPG

DSC01995.JPG    54.7 KB
DSC01996.JPG    50.4 KB
mowog1 Avatar
mowog1 Gold Member Rick Ingram
Saint Joseph, IL, USA   USA
1969 MG MGC "Vicky"
1972 MG MGB "Mallard"
1974 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "The V8"
1978 MG MGB "Maggie"    & more
I just bought a 3-1/2 gallon container at EvapoRust at my local farm supply store (Blaine's Farm & Fleet) for under $50.

It works well.

I talked with EvapoRust representatives at SEMA this year....they advised to mark the container's "full" level and when it drops down (due to evaporation) simply fill it up to the line you've made with distilled water and the product will retain its potency.

I also met this guy at SEMA in the EvapoRust booth back in 2012. smiling smiley

1969 MGC - 1972 MGB - 1974&1/2 MGB/GT V8 conversion - 1978 MGB

mowog1@aol.com

Member Services:
Pieces of Eight! has provided gas-charged bonnet & bootlid strut kits for the MGB/MGC and hatch kits for the MGB/GT-MGC/GT since 1996. We have recently added MG Midget bonnet and bootlid kits to inventory. Contact Rick at: mowog1@aol.com

Attachments:
Rick Dale - American Restorations.jpg    53.7 KB
Rick Dale - American Restorations.jpg

Tim C Avatar
LaGrange, KY, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Annie"
I can chime in on the Molasses. It works great but is slow. If I remember correctly it is 1 gallon of Molasses to 10 gallons water. So it is a cheap way to go if you are mixing up and soaking large parts in a bin. I recently used it on a set of West Coast Truck mirrors that were completely rust covered. It took 2 to 3 weeks but all rust was gone.

Aridgerunner Avatar
Aridgerunner Silver Member Bill Bussler
Montoursville, PA, USA   USA
1956 MG MGA 1500 "The A"
1959 Triumph TR3A "The Mistress"
Mice like to eat molasses. I hate mice. So I don't want either in my garage.

The acid products seem tombe the best.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
Molasses ended at first place a few years ago in a test by the UK Practical Classics Magazine. They were quite surprised eye popping smiley
A bit messy, but dependable and without agressive residues like the acids left behind.

In reply to # 3696824 by Tim C I can chime in on the Molasses. It works great but is slow. If I remember correctly it is 1 gallon of Molasses to 10 gallons water. So it is a cheap way to go if you are mixing up and soaking large parts in a bin. I recently used it on a set of West Coast Truck mirrors that were completely rust covered. It took 2 to 3 weeks but all rust was gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-14 07:50 AM by Donthuis.

albeegreen1 Avatar
albeegreen1 Gold Member bob tresch
bordentown, NJ, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB MkIII "ALBERT"
X2 Bill. Sugar smell, flies, rodents. thumbs up

"Be yourself, because everybody else is already taken". - Oscar Wilde.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" - Phineas Quimby.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster