AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Clutch pedal spring
  This topic is about my 1977 MG MGB
trcarrell Avatar
trcarrell Thomas Carrell
Montrose, CO, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
My Mg is my daily driver, 1978 mgb. On the way home tonight the clutch pedal return spring broke. Pedal still has resistance, new heavy duty clutch 2000 miles ago. Can I still drive the car until I get a replacement spring?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ohlord Avatar
ohlord Gold Member Rob C
North of Seattle, N.W., USA   USA
1957 Land Rover Series I "EYEYIYI"
1971 MG MGB
1971 MG MGB "Bedouin 2"
Helps shifting if it returns quickly.
In a pinch
Yes

If it stays lift with your foot

"I'm a long way gone down this wild road I'm on
It's gonna take me where I'm bound
It's a long way around"

"These are the days that must happen to you"

RD2 Radar/ Electronic Warfare Technician
Vietnam 1969-1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-13 11:16 PM by ohlord.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
If your clutch MC has a proper working relief valve mechanism via its seal, maybe it will work without problems for a while. But there is a slight risk, so pull up the pedal by foot if it hangs down

BTW almost any type of pulling spring from a general hardware store can be used here, no need to order something from a BL part list and pay a lot of P&P overhead to MOSS, Victoria Britsh...etc eye rolling smiley

In reply to # 3680977 by trcarrell My Mg is my daily driver, 1978 mgb. On the way home tonight the clutch pedal return spring broke. Pedal still has resistance, new heavy duty clutch 2000 miles ago. Can I still drive the car until I get a replacement spring?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Be Coming Avatar
Be Coming Kelvin Dodd
So. Calif., USA   USA
Thomas - The only problem you may encounter is if the master internal spring isn't able to return the piston fully against the weight of the pedal. If this happens, the clutch hydraulic pressure won't bleed off fully and the throw out bearing will get excessive wear. The angle the pedal hangs doesn't make this likely though.

Any, off the shelf spring can be used to keep the pedal weight from pushing on the piston in the short term, I do disagree with Don though. The correct factory pattern spring is readily available from many suppliers and it has to do a specific job correctly. It doesn't make sense to me to substitute a generic part in an area that has that much driver interaction. The pedal return springs affect pedal feel and hydraulic operation and the spring rate, operating length, eye size and shape are critical for longevity.

Kelvin.

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I used another type of spring from a hardware store for over 10 years without any problems on my B. Just take the old one with you to a hardware store, broken and all does not matter.
They have wooden cases full of springs to choose from and if chosen on proper length & minimum strength all work in getting the pedal backwards. No use pretending this is rocket science eye rolling smiley

In reply to # 3681147 by Be Coming Thomas - The only problem you may encounter is if the master internal spring isn't able to return the piston fully against the weight of the pedal. If this happens, the clutch hydraulic pressure won't bleed off fully and the throw out bearing will get excessive wear. The angle the pedal hangs doesn't make this likely though.

Any, off the shelf spring can be used to keep the pedal weight from pushing on the piston in the short term, I do disagree with Don though. The correct factory pattern spring is readily available from many suppliers and it has to do a specific job correctly. It doesn't make sense to me to substitute a generic part in an area that has that much driver interaction. The pedal return springs affect pedal feel and hydraulic operation and the spring rate, operating length, eye size and shape are critical for longevity.

Kelvin.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster