AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

battery cable gauge
  This topic is about my 1977 MG MGB
sandglowB Avatar
sandglowB Silver Member Al Blosser
Uniontown, OH, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB
Rather than crawl around on the concrete, (I'm old), what is the battery cable's gauge (wire size). I replaced the alternator with a Delco unit and thought maybe I should increase the wire size from the starter to the battery.

member - Emerald Necklace MG Register,
NAMGBR since 1991
infantry RVN 1969

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grn78rd Avatar
grn78rd Jon Clark
Clemmons, NC, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB MkII "Mistake"
1978 MG MGB
I recently made a new one for myself using 6 gauge wire obtained at O’Reillys for not too much $.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Gold Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
I believe # 4 was Standard. I have used and a lot our members say welding cable. Nice and flexible Cheers

Member Services:
MGB567 Avatar
MGB567 Gold Member Barrie Braxton
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Money Guzzler"
1979 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Darkside"
FWIW I asked on Swaps about earth cable. I believe OEM is 4 but it was suggested I'd be better off with 1/0 so I bought a pair from Amazon.

Convertible: CKD 11/66 first registered 8/5/67. Owned since 3/77. 90% original sheet metal. 18GB +40 balanced with almost all new internals. Peter Burgess big valve fast road head. Piper 285. Fidanza FW. Basil's followers and pushrods. TR7clutch. TT exhaust. ARP everywhere. 123 ign. Needham 4synchro c/r box.. Stock rebuilt/replaced suspension. Superpro bushes. New brakes all round including all pipes in SS flex. Interior redone. CAMS approved roll bar and side bars. Lots more. Hybrid of o/e and show/fast road car. Not for sale - it's my toy!

GT: UK car built/sold December '78. Stripped back to bare shell (with extensive bodywork to come). Powered by 'worked' Rover 5 litre V8 (ex TVR Chimera) with efi. T5 box. FC IFS. CCE rear attached to Salisbury axle with Quaife. And a whole lot more to yet to come. Stealth is the word.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
battery cable.jpg    17 KB
battery cable.jpg

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Not only the battery and ground cable, ( I used 1/0) but the hot from the alternator. I use 6 Ga to a 70A fuse, to the fuse block. 8 may be OK, but I like overkill. In spite of some experts here claiming it is impossible, I have seen TWO cars catch fire because they had a dead battery and reved the engine to charge it after a jump with the original brown wires designed for 27 A alternator. ( TR, not MG, but same physics)

I don't like power through mounting bolts, so I run a 6 ga black ground from the alternator case to the block. All these connections should be ring terminals, properly crimped, soldered, and hot-glue heat shrink.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

tvrgeek Avatar
tvrgeek Silver Member Scott S
Hillsborough, North Carolinia, USA   USA
1965 MG MGB
Oh yea, forgot to clarify: The battery cable is not the issue with a new alternator, but it is an issue in the original was just plain too small.

Cogito ergo sum periculoso

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster