We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
MGExp

MGB & GT Forum

Anyone used the flashing 1157 bulb replacements?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Stabe Avatar
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
The LED bulbs apparently flash 3 times then come on solid when you hit the brakes. Sounds like a good safety feature if they actually work.

Jim

"If you want me to agree with you then we would both be wrong"

'66 MGB widened 11" with supercharged LT1 Chevy and 6 speed, C4 Corvette suspension
Pictures here Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Continued in Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Continued in Part 3 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Continued in Part 4 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,40751
Continued in Part 5 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,48698,48698#msg-48698

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pleblanc1206 Avatar
pleblanc1206 Gold Member Pierre Leblanc
Saline, MI, USA   USA
1974 MG MGB GT "The MG"
2013 Scion FR-S
Jim, I have those on my GT and I agree that they are a great safety improvement. However, several members here have noted that they may not be legal in all states. Personally, I haven't had any run-ins with the law.

1974 MGB-GT: black-label overdrive, essentially stock detoxed engine, Schlemmerized distributor.

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
I have a flasher that has a delay so that in traffic, you don't drive the person behind you crazy. The flasher doesn't flash the lights unless you haven't hit the brakes for a programmed time, mine being 8 seconds... if the brake lights flash every time you touch the brake pedal in traffic you will drive people nuts....

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tbarker7815 Avatar
tbarker7815 Tom .
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
Wow Keith, 8 seconds seems like a long time before brake lights come on if I understood what you were saying.

Mags MGB Avatar
Mags MGB Platinum Member Greg & Maggie
Troy, IL, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB "Monai"
No,.....they would be on steady for eight seconds, then flash three times, then remain steady

In reply to # 3680870 by tbarker7815 Wow Keith, 8 seconds seems like a long time before brake lights come on if I understood what you were saying.

warekl Avatar
warekl Silver Member Keith Ware
White Bear Lake Mn, USA   USA
1973 MG MGB GT
1979 MG MGB
No, it means that the brake lights would come on steady, but not flash rapidly 3 times if you had applied the brakes within the last 8 seconds. The brake lights come on but don't strobe/flash.... It's a standard motorcycle accessory. (BackOFF is a popular one and some are programmable for flash and dwell times.)

If the brakes flashed 3 times each time you touched the brakes, say in stop and go traffic, your brake lights would be strobing at the person behind you constantly....

USMC ... Semper Fi
79 RB Lowered, HS4s by Dave Braun & "Schlemmerized" 25D Dizzy, 9.5:1 CR, Mild Performance Cam, 18V with OD Tranny.

73 GT in Black Tulip

Rod H. Avatar
Amity, OR, USA   USA
1964 MG MGB
1968 MG MGB GT
In reply to # 3680919 by warekl No, it means that the brake lights would come on steady, but not flash rapidly 3 times if you had applied the brakes within the last 8 seconds. The brake lights come on but don't strobe/flash.... It's a standard motorcycle accessory. (BackOFF is a popular one and some are programmable for flash and dwell times.)

If the brakes flashed 3 times each time you touched the brakes, say in stop and go traffic, your brake lights would be strobing at the person behind you constantly....

The 8 second thing sounds like a good idea. Imagine a freeway full of cars in stop and go with the flashing going on constantly. Would not be good.

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones. John Cage

'63 MGB
'68 MGBGT
'80 VW Vanagon Kombi
'09 Mazda 3 with 5 speed manual

Donthuis Avatar
Donthuis Don van Riet
Rijswijk, ZH, Netherlands   NLD
I guess it is street illegal over here and may let you loose your MoT approval next time. thumbs down

In cases dangerous situations lead to emergency stops on the highway, braking AND activating the hazard flashing on all indicator lights is the approved warning procedure....

PS This reminds me of advanced horn systems where electronics got you seperate tones following each other in quick succession: this feature was immediately forbidden, multi tone horn assembles are required to sound all tones in unison (I am not sure how many simultaneous tones are permitted, the B has an approved double high & low tone setup)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 03:09 AM by Donthuis.

stevehull Gold Member Steve Hull
Arcadia, OK, USA   USA
Jim, where did you get these flashing bulbs? Cost?

Steve

Steve Hull
Arcadia, OK
73 MGB

405 550 3023

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, MS, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Around here it must be illegal to have a following distance of more than 5 feet. Irritating those folks with flashing stop lights sounds like a good idea to me.

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Idasix Avatar
Idasix Silver Member David Smailes
Mount Vernon, WA, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "Red Rider"
I have the flashing rear lights on my LED brakes but I use a module from Superbrightleds.com then I can remove it quickly. Having retired from LE I checked and in my state there is no law forbidding it. Have used them for years. Love em. Step on the brake and it flashes 4 times quickly and then solid on.

Dave

The brave don't live forever...
The cautious don't live at all.

Mustangsix Avatar
Mustangsix Gold Member Jack Collins
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Most new cars have a flashing third brake light. They blip a couple of times when the brakes are hit. It is not illegal to do that, at least here in FL and I'll bet nearly every other state as well.

Member Services:
Ceres Motorsports - Specialty parts for select British Automobiles
rocannon Avatar
rocannon Platinum Member Frank L
Inconveniently located in the wilderness, OK, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT "GT From Hell"
1980 MG MGB "Restored By Photoshop Inc."
Yup. They flash several times every time the brakes are used. I’ve not found that objectionable in traffic.

Charles, you’ve got that following distance thing right!

In reply to # 3681380 by Mustangsix Most new cars have a flashing third brake light. They blip a couple of times when the brakes are hit. It is not illegal to do that, at least here in FL and I'll bet nearly every other state as well.

;-\

TANSTAAFL !

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster